By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:

Really? The N64 was a mistake. Cartridges and hard to code. Gamecube was a mistake. Powerful but looked like a teletubbie lunch box. Who wants a purple videogame that looks like Barbie's oven? Wii was a great idea that took the company into a dangerous situation. The 3DS was far too expensive because of a 3D feature many consumers don't even use and have little practicity in actual gameplay. Let's not even mention WiiU and Nintendo online philosophy. Every Nintendo system since the SNes have a problem that undermines the potencial. Its like for every good idea they have 2 bad ideas.

Same can be said for every console. Its all in how you see it. I could name problems with any console.

Sure, but thats not the topic.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
mornelithe said:

They've made a few mistakes, nothing as big as the Wii U, I don't think, but I've no idea what could've happened had the partnership w/ Sony worked out and FFVII launched on a joint PS/Nintendo platform.  I mean, can you imagine Sony and Nintendo combining forces?  Could've been crazy good, or it could've failed miserably...hard tellin' lol :)

Yeah, I thought he was talking about this gen at first

Every console maker have made big mistakes throughout the years though.

Oh absolutely, my initial response is earlier in the thread, so this was merely talking about mistakes they've made (even then, we can say it was a mistake, but we don't really know how it would've worked out either, so....), not that I think they should or should not do anything.  

mountaindewslave said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Because there's no reason for them to be anything other than a publisher. They suck as a platform holder.

I don't know why you mention MS or Sony buying them, that's something else entirely... That wouldn't even be going third party to begin with, it's an whole other thing

no reason? you do realize that millions of people love Nintendo systems. they make amazing handhelds and extremely quality home consoles. the Wii U was a bit of a mistep but in terms of critical reviews it actually is pretty universally liked by those who play it 

and obviously last generation Nintendo did such a great job with the Wii hardware that it was impossible to find in stores for some time

Very few millions going of wiiu sales.  

and if your hoping they hit another fad with nx you are betting on some low odds.

gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

Same can be said for every console. Its all in how you see it. I could name problems with any console.

Thats the thing though. Only Nintendo can have problems. As soon as you mention anyone else, its off topic...

gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

I didnt say it was a success. You said that nintendo dont care about the wiimote anymore. Well....they do.

It just goes on to show how imbecile they are... Besides, its not their main selling point. The tablet (how many touch devices they wanna sell?) controller is.

So now they are stupid to still care about the wiimotes? Kinda being unfair to them now...

Of course they are stupid. Defenetely. Their market is eroding. Nintendo is fading. Losing relevance. When people talk about games they hardly talk about Nintendo. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Thats stupidity. There's no other way to spin it.

weird, they're fading so much that they first time they decided to release a major toy brand it has sold as well as the other top selling figure-toy brands

they're fading because their handheld this generation has sold like 60 million during a time period in which NO other company has managed to stay alive in the handheld market, even Sony

they're fading because they constantly get asked to put their IP into movies and TV?

you're delusional. Nintendo clearly has had less success this generation than last, but they still are extremely relevant. they only reason Nintendo isn't 'talked' about in terms of the console wars is because the Wii U has an oddball controller tablet and disconnected with buyers due to confusion over its relation to the Wii

Nintendo releases a standard high spec system with a more traditional controller and some degree of compatibility integration with their next handheld and it will sell insanely well

the reality is that Nintendo has all of the IP's and character any game company could dream for. They have the fans and they have money. there is no reason for them not excel in the generations to come

also to those who repeatedly stupidly say Nintendo should become third party- you do not understand Nintendo's business model at all or are not aware of what kind of cut third party software developers get. There's production costs, lack of full control on game development (dependent on the hardware player), sharing software sale revenue with the hardware creator, etc. etc. etc.

Nintendo's worst current move would be something like that. and it would be totally illogical. Nintendo doesn't NEED to leave making consoles. they've made far more money than their competitions over the last few decades because they are more concerned with profit than market share

Around the Network

I'd imagine - and this thread supports me here - that it's some combination of wishful thinking and willful ignorance.

mountaindewslave said:
spurgeonryan said:
Because they could easily go third party. Unlike Sega they have a huge list of characters to keep things fresh.

Also they would make a lot of money if they ever did.

they would make less money than they do now. Nintendo does great with their hardware, people always complain why Nintendo is sometimes hesitant to lower the price of their hardware like the Wii U- guess what that DO make money from hardware. they also don't have to split profit from software sales if they control the hardware.

there's a reason that Nintendo made MORE in the Gamecube generation than Sony did with the PS2 despite the PS2 selling a kajillion more software

Wasn't that adding also GBA's hardware and softare sales?

KLXVER said:
gigaSheik said:
KLXVER said:

Thats the thing though. Only Nintendo can have problems. As soon as you mention anyone else, its off topic...

You can create a topic for the other manufacturers mistakes and I'll gladly join.

KLXVER said:

Well, I think it's more down to the diversification that the other companies have, that Nintendo doesn't.  Sony, who was obviously in very big trouble for quite some time, has other far more profitable sectors, that helped them survive a very rough period (Without their Banking/Insurance div, I highly doubt they could've made it to the restructure, let alone make it past the restructure).  Microsoft...shouldn't need to explain that one.  On the other side, look at Sega.  They didn't have that kind of diversification and now they're 3rd party.  But, I don't think they're in the same league as Nintendo either.

For me though, I'm not highlighting their issues out of smugness, I'm highlighting it out of concern.  I think Nintendo is an irreplaceable asset to the Gaming community (I think they attract new gamer's as kids, who then grow up and expand their preferences), and I want them to survive (To bring new people into the fold, as well as keeping legendary IP coming), whatever it takes (not that I think they're at a breaking point or anything).  As I said in my original post, I think they could make a ton of cash going 3rd party, but I'd only really vote for them to do it if it was a matter of Nintendo making games, or Nintendo not making games.

gigaSheik said:

You can create a topic for the other manufacturers mistakes and I'll gladly join.

Dont need to. Thats part of the conversation here. Why put Nintendo games on consoles that have other issues? Because so far the WiiU is the best console this gen imo.