By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars :TFA - Avatar gap thread- Updated Daily! Post your predictions! - $2,064,018,389 as of 11th April 2016! - The GAP is in the OP

Can TFA make it to a Billion domestically?

Yes, explain below 35 31.53%

Maybe, but just barely 30 27.03%

No 38 34.23%

other post below 0 0%

see results 8 7.21%

Total:111
spurgeonryan said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

4 billion.

The movie, plus merchandising. Lucas gave away a gold mine for pennies.

I think they get about 40% of total ticket sales and about 10% on merchandise sales, plus don't forget the cost to make and promote the movie. They will absolutely make the money back but not for a little bit. 

Around the Network
Cruzer said:
I hope it does not overtake Avatar and I doubt it would. Avatar is a much better movie and the best Sci-fi world created on the big screen since the original Star Wars. In many ways ut is the SW of it's generation still standing light years ahead of the competition years later. It is what people claim The Force Awakens is.

Avatar was filled with cardboard characters, naive politics, amateurish dialogue and a terrible narrative. It has left zero cultural impact and succeeded on box office on the back of the James Cameron name and the 3D novelty. If anything, Avatar is the Phantom Menace of the 00's, because there is not much left on it besides some gorgeous visuals and scenery, both directors having been hypnotized by the shiny tech of CGI before doing their thing.

haxxiy said:
Cruzer said:
I hope it does not overtake Avatar and I doubt it would. Avatar is a much better movie and the best Sci-fi world created on the big screen since the original Star Wars. In many ways ut is the SW of it's generation still standing light years ahead of the competition years later. It is what people claim The Force Awakens is.

Avatar was filled with cardboard characters, naive politics, amateurish dialogue and a terrible narrative. It has left zero cultural impact and succeeded on box office on the back of the James Cameron name and the 3D novelty. If anything, Avatar is the Phantom Menace of the 00's, because there is not much left on it besides some gorgeous visuals and scenery, both directors having been hypnotized by the shiny tech of CGI before doing their thing.

But TFA is exactly like that too. Replace cardboard with cookie cutter characters. Plenty of logic holes in its story too. 

But TFA is exactly like that too. Replace cardboard with cookie cutter characters. Plenty of logic holes in its story too. 

The characters in the force awakens were generally pretty well developed, the dialogue was decent, cgi was used as little as possible. give examples of logic holes? cookie cutter is a terrible term because every character that can be done has done, which means every character made in film history is in some way cookie cutter.

spurgeonryan said:
http://m.imdb.com/news/ni59325249?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=1920909362&pf_rd_r=0T2GYHJ1FHFC5X9SX431&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=m_hm_nw_tp

Expected 145 million this weekend. 40 million Xmas day?

I won't put it up till a trusted site has it.

Forbes is reporting $49 million for Friday (domestic only).

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Star Wars VII is a GREAT movie, but man, there are no ways it will beat Avatar in box office. I can see it passed over $2$ Billions milestone now but 2.7 Billions ??? NO WAY! And we havent even count inflation adjusted yet:

Avatar dropped 13.7% from the previous Friday. TFA dropped 58.6%.

brute said:
spurgeonryan said:
http://m.imdb.com/news/ni59325249?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=1920909362&pf_rd_r=0T2GYHJ1FHFC5X9SX431&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=m_hm_nw_tp

Expected 145 million this weekend. 40 million Xmas day?

I won't put it up till a trusted site has it.

Forbes is reporting $49 million for Friday (domestic only).

That's what box office mojo is estimating. So while not as big of a % gain as Avatar from the Thursday to Friday, it had dropped less to begin with.

Also it will take the largest non opening Friday by over 12 million.

Lawlight said:
Avatar dropped 13.7% from the previous Friday. TFA dropped 58.6%.

That 58.6% includes Thursdays previews, and obviously TFA would never be able to match Avatar's legs due to it's huge opening.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

haxxiy said:
Cruzer said:

I couldn't even finish that movie. My god how many times have we seen that story play out? The 3d must have been amazing.