By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars :TFA - Avatar gap thread- Updated Daily! Post your predictions! - $2,064,018,389 as of 11th April 2016! - The GAP is in the OP

Can TFA make it to a Billion domestically?

Yes, explain below 35 31.53%

Maybe, but just barely 30 27.03%

No 38 34.23%

other post below 0 0%

see results 8 7.21%

Total:111

it can pass Avatar domestically (in fact I think that is quite likely at this point) but it will not come that close internationally. for whatever reason Star Wars has never caught on globally anywhere near as much as in the USA. its a major international franchise but its sort of been stable in popularity internationally for a while as opposed to growing

Around the Network
COX said:

My prediction 2,85 billion WW.

Is there any spoiler in this thread because I don't have seen the movie yet ?

based on what?

its global take was not that insane outside of the USA for opening weekend. Domestic + global was a record, yes, but even Jurassic Park actually had a marginally higher opening outside of the states than Star Wars did

granted China was not involved in the opening weekend, but still. Avatar had insane consistency internationally. I think it will be impressive if/when Star Wars breaks 2 billion but to expect it to come close to Avatar's worldwide total is insane

It will be the fasted to $500 million domestically easily by the weekend.

The thing that will keep Star Wars international number a lot less than Avatars will be the difference in currency exchange, in 2009/early 2010 the U.S dollar was a lot weaker than it is now. Even if the currency exchange rate was the same, it still would have made less than Avatar in the international box office, but it would have been much closer than it will be now.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
The thing that will keep Star Wars international number a lot less than Avatars will be the difference in currency exchange, in 2009/early 2010 the U.S dollar was a lot weaker than it is now. Even if the currency exchange rate was the same, it still would have made less than Avatar in the international box office, but it would have been much closer than it will be now.

You have to factor in the price of tickets that have gone up since the Avatar days. It went up by 11% since then in the US. Even more elsewhere.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
brute said:

You have to factor in the price of tickets that have gone up since the Avatar days. It went up by 11% since then in the US. Even more elsewhere.

Still hasn't increased enough to off set the increase in exhange rate, per this: http://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-dollar-index-historical-chart 2009-10 was an all time low for US dollars (which helped it in this case).

As I said, even if it remained the same, it probably wouldn't have passed it, but it would have been closer.

Hopefully it won't beat Titanic's worldwide gross #LeonardiDiCaprioneedsthis

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

So it's estimated to have done $27,591,000 on Thursday (Christmas eve) that's a smaller drop (percentage wise) compared to Avatar's first Wed to Thursday (which also fell on a Christmas eve). It's the second largest non-opening Thursday behind Transformers: Revenge on the fallen, but that was it's second day as it opened on Wednesday. This is the largest Thursday for movies that opened the prior Friday, besting Jurassic World's $17,822,580 by nearly $10 million.

I hope it does not overtake Avatar and I doubt it would. Avatar is a much better movie and the best Sci-fi world created on the big screen since the original Star Wars. In many ways ut is the SW of it's generation still standing light years ahead of the competition years later. It is what people claim The Force Awakens is.

spurgeonryan said:
brute said:
So it's estimated to have done $27,591,000 on Thursday (Christmas eve) that's a smaller drop (percentage wise) compared to Avatar's first Wed to Thursday (which also fell on a Christmas eve). It's the second largest non-opening Thursday behind Transformers: Revenge on the fallen, but that was it's second day as it opened on Wednesday. This is the largest Thursday for movies that opened the prior Friday, besting Jurassic World's $17,822,580 by nearly $10 million.

I think it's hold after the holiday break will tell whether it has the power to go all the way to avatar.

I'd say it will definitely pass it domestically, but worldwide is a different story.