By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

amp316 said:

1.  In a New Hope we learn about Luke's father a little bit.  He was a great pilot, fought in the Clone Wars, and was a Jedi.  Also, we see his aunt and uncle slaughtered by stormtroopers so a little background is given.  Rey collects junk in order to eat.  That's all we learn about her.  

2.  I can understand why you think that the prequel trilogy duels were too choreographed.  I personally liked them, but that's a matter of taste.  I also loved the mood set in the original three as you did.  They weren't as ballet as you said, but even in A New Hope  they make it look like Obi-Wan and Vader are proficient in a strong two handed sword fighting style.  In this one it looks like it's two kids in the backyard whailing away on each other with those nerf stick thingys ( I don't know what they are called). 

1) Not True - We learn she is very powerful with the force, that she can fight with staff (helps her lightsaber duel) exceptionally well, is very technically inclined, and that she was left / deserted purposefully on Jakku.

2) Not True - The art of fighting with swords is largely lost as the jedi order is no more and even Luke didn't have a good set of people to square off with. Hell his fights with Vader were not much different. More like fencing. Fact is, Kylo Ren was hurt by the time he was fighting either of them so he was largely defensive and he was also conflicted due to events just proir to that scene and you can tell he was a little bit worried about Ren's force awakening. 

Additionally, Finn lost rather quickly and Rey was assisted by her growing understanding of the Force combined with Kylo Ren's injuries / mental/emotional state. Clearly why he has to go finish his training.

Around the Network
Virlando said:
amp316 said:

Honestly, it's the worst Star Wars movie ever made.  It makes Attack Of the Clones look like The Empire Strikes Back.  It makes the Phantom Menace look like A New Hope.  Sadly, this is the movie that "Star Wars fans" have asked for since the Phantom Menace.  They all wanted a movie that wasn't made by George Lucas since they now viewed him as a has been no talent hack.  You got your wish, guys.  You got a fan film made on the biggest budget of all time.  

The story reads like a bad EU novel.  Who wrote this thing?  Kevin J. Anderson?  The plot is bare bones and is basically A New Hope, but a thousand times worse.  Things are brought up briefly but never expanded upon.  Who is exactly is the First Order?  The Resistance? The Knights of Ren?  There's a New Republic?  Tell me something about them.  Anything .  Please?  

Oh, and Kylo Ren is by far the weakest main villain in the entire series.  At first I really thought that they were on to something with a sinister and powerful force wielder that was prone to temper tantrums.  Turns out that he isn't a bad ass at all.  In fact, he can be defeated in a lightsaber duel by someone that has zero training.  And I also wasn't too impressed with Supreme Leader Snoke or whatever his name was...

The whole movie goes like this.  Fan service.  Fan service. Fan service.  Cameo. Fan service.  Fan service.  Cameo.  Fan service.  Cameo.  Oh wait... A few planets were just blown up?  Who's planets were they?  Who lived there?  Why should I care?  It's things like this that make make the most fundamentally basic plot points an unmitigated disaster.

And what about Rey's backstory?  Oh yeah.  It's gone into with about as much depth as Mr. Pink's from Reservoir Dogs.  And speaking about Rey, by the end of the movie she's basically both Han Solo and Luke Skywalker put together.  Ugh.  

Say what you want about the prequels.  As a whole I agree that they weren't up to par with the original trilogy, but The Force Awakens makes me appreciate them much, much more.  It doesn't tell a new story or much of a story at all.  It's just a vehicle to sell a bunch of merchandise.  

Okay.  Now I will say some nice things.  Overall, the acting is pretty good, BB8 was cool, and it looks great but besides for that, The Force Awakens sucks! 

0 out of 5 stars for a Star Wars movie - It's like the Die Another Day of Star Wars movies.  Put in a bunch of stuff  that people enjoyed previously in the series and they will enjoy this one.  Don't worry about the script.  Blow up stuff, bring out Han, Leia, Chewie, etc. and people will think that it's great.

My ranking of the films, if you care:

1)  The Empire Strikes Back

2)  A New Hope

3)  Revenge of the Sith

4)  Return of the Jedi

5)  The Phantom Menace

6)  Attack of the Clones

7)  The Force Awakens 

I am really sorry to say that but I agree with you 100%. It's a shame what they did to STAR WARS in the 8th episode. They put together some of the know ideas from previous episodes and made something from it. I keep saying that blaster shot and lightsabers won't make a good STAR WARS movie by itself. 

The movie was forced to be made. It lacks the spirit of the STAR WARS universe. It has many very stupid mistakes arising from the ignorance and misunderstanding of the originals (even the prequels). Some decisions made by creators of the force awakens were so stupid that I coudn't believe what I was seeing on the screen.

The Force Awakens is worst by far. There is no force in the movie, no understanding what the force is in the first place. They wanted to be funny, and they were. By it would suffice to be funny and only action oriented if it was Guardians of the Galaxy (I really enjoyed that movie). But STAR WARS should go deeper and take advatage of what was created before, what was delivered. 

I won't even say anything about the Sith Master Kylo Ren. He sucked by all means. How could they made what they made with him? I don't mean his acting because I think the acting of all characters was good. But the script and situations made for the characters were so mere... 

I never thought to write something like this but I am very disappointed. George Lucas in every movie made me feel that I actually watched something special. I felt it was STAR WARS. The right approach is the key. I think that the STAR WARS universe deserves to be treated with the right kind of way. Minding the philosophy hidden in it, the main plot that makes everything so special. I think we will miss George Lucas.

How much philosphy is there in turning the Force into "midichlorians" or having a main character step in dog shit for laughs or quoting little Michelle Tanner from Full House (How Wude!?) as an actual dialouge point. Or how about Ankain's rapey pick up lines. Did Padme fall in love with him because fell off that transport in Episode II and hit her head a little too hard (I mean the dude already admitted to commiting genocide on Sand People by that point ... real turn on for most women, we're supposed to believe this as a viable romance?). 

C'mon. 

The prequels were shit. George Lucas lost it a long time ago becoming lazy years ago.  

TFA doesn't measure up to Empire but probably no action-adventure film of the last 30 years does. TFA brings back the fun and heart and warmth of the OT that was sorely, sorely missing in the PT. 

Kylo Ren is underpowered in this movie for obvious reasons. He will get become all evil-ey crazy and all that by VIII. What's the problem? At least it was some what of a different take on this type of character (a bad guy that's actually struggling with the light for a change). 

It's not like the prequels gave any great new villians anyway. Count Dooku was a goof that no one cared about, General Grevious was a cartoon basically. 

Darth Maul was cool, so Lucas decides to give this character no dialogue and virtually no screen time (lets see what Jar Jar is up to instead) before killing him off. 

Wright said:

Didn't the movie itself acknowledge that because of Kylo going Sith and destroying Luke's Temple, he went exile?

Kylo is not a sith, sith is a title someone needs to bestow someone else, or he can clain it for himself if theres no one else to bestow it to him. No one ever made him a sith so he is a force user of the dark side, but not a sith. 

I really wouldn't get that far to call it a 0 out of 5 movie, but it has a lot of issues for sure.

I wasn't one bit impressed as the movie is basically a remake of Episode IV with very very little originality. Watchable, but not a real sequel to the series.

potato_hamster said:

**** Here there be spoilers ***

Let's just take a look at a New Hope.

What do we know of Luke's backstory? Ohh right. Nothing.
How about how he used the force to guide an otherwise impossible shot with little training?
How about Darth Vader's non existant character depth? He practically acts like a robot in the first movie. All we know is that he's super religious, has super powers, is better than everyone else and very obedient. That's it.
Leia's home planet gets blown up? Why do we give a shit about that again? It's not like Leia is a critical character at that point in the movie.

I think you're looking at the originals with Rose-colored glasses. The only real difference between the Force Awakens and a New Hope is that they know they're making a sequel after the Force Awakens and planned the movies out in accordance with that.

But you're right it did bug me how Rey became so strong so quickly, and it was pretty friggin annoying that she could wreck Ren in a fight like that after he had been groomed for years in the ways of the dark side, but we really don't know much about the force at all. Perhaps there is precedence for what happened. Perhaps this is a result of there being so few Jedi. Remember, Leia and Rey had a intense connection as soon as they met. There could be something greater at play here, and we might have just scratched the surface.

But man... can we move past the whole "death star" thing? They could have made a giant halo-like space station around the sun and accomplished the same thing while being far, far more original.

All in all this movie was very much a "passing of the torch" from one generation to the next in more ways than one. I think it accomplished exactly what it set out to do and sets the franchise up for plenty of success in the future.

I think they key thing here was :

1) Rey's generation grew up knowing about the force and what it can do and she was intelligent and capable enough to watch what others were doing and picking things up very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if she is Rey's twin sister and we just don't know it yet. 

2) Ren was weak and had no control over the force as he in conflict with himself. We see this throughout the film, especially the bit where he is telling himself to not be seduced by the light side and to be more like Darth. 

3) they are powerful but that doesn't mean they are capable and good. Both Ren and Rey are of a similar age and are novices from the looks of things. They fighting style / ability reflects this. 

4) a new death star was a bit too much, but they made it good by poking jokes about leaving holes etc in it. 

Anyone pick up the nod to wedge? Red5 aka wedge was the unsung hero in the previous films and this time around Red5 is a celebrated pilot. 

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

But you're right it did bug me how Rey became so strong so quickly, and it was pretty friggin annoying that she could wreck Ren in a fight like that after he had been groomed for years in the ways of the dark side....

Remember, Leia and Rey had a intense connection as soon as they met. There could be something greater at play here, and we might have just scratched the surface.

Calling it now, 3 years in advance:

Rey is Luke's daughter. That's why she's strong in the Force. It's why she and Leia had that connection (aunt and niece) and why she was able to resist Kylo (they're cousins. Remember "force sensitive" can still get you beat by an actual skilled force user. Those younglings at the temple had way more training than Rey had [read: no training at all] and Anakin went through them like a hot knife through butter. Sure, they were "surprised", but once you see one or two get mowed down, you know he's the enemy. Whereas Rey was like "lol why is your hand in my face? Shoo")

Plus, the actress looks a little like Mark Hamill. 

I want to see this movie but I'm so annoyed at the level of milking. Completely ruins the vibe.

Maybe I'll torrent it?

I agree with the op.

DakonBlackblade said:
Wright said:

Didn't the movie itself acknowledge that because of Kylo going Sith and destroying Luke's Temple, he went exile?

Kylo is not a sith, sith is a title someone needs to bestow someone else, or he can clain it for himself if theres no one else to bestow it to him. No one ever made him a sith so he is a force user of the dark side, but not a sith. 

Well, even so, replace "sith" by "going to the dark path" and the sentence remains almost the same.

Honestly, I think you can't blame Ren for being weak in that light-saber fight. He was severely conflicted throughout the film. He's not very powerful on the dark side because, as he said, he feels the light inside him. I think it was nice to see a conflicted and three-dimensional character as a villain, not a mighty and powerful one. And he was severely wounded by Chewbacca, you can obviously see that in the fight. He struggled a lot to keep himself on his feet.