By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

StuOhQ said:

Actually, I think all of your points are valid criticisms - and ones I've seen mirrored here on VGC. Unfairly harsh? Definitely! Still, I can't say there isn't a ring of truth here.

To me, all of the films are flawed (even Empire). I placed TFA @ #5 on my own list. 

EDIT: My biggest complaint is that they'be established Kylo Ren as inept WAY too early for him to be a legitimate villain. A new threat will have to emerge for there to be any sense that the heroes are fighting an uphill battle.

Snoke and Ren will go full batshit insane by Ep. VIII as he now has Snoke's trust after killing you-know-who. They didn't really use Phasma that well in this movie. She can be brought back next time too. 

The villians will be more powerful in the next installment, count on it. This one is supposed to be lighter and more fun. 

I didn't particular think the look of Snoke was anything special, but there's no reason they can't make him terrifying in person next time around. The Emperor's original apperance in ESB was somewhat underwhelming too. 

Around the Network

I wasnt hyped at all for this movie and I am so glad I didnt, it is so meh.

I always said from the get go that Disney would milk the series, the star wars series was complete with 6 movies it told one complete arc. This is just the ultimate fanboy movie.

People just wait give it a year and it will be in the same league as the prequels. Just go on reddit and you will see that audiences are already divided on this. 2nd worst in the series, nothing will ever be worse than Attack Of The Clones my god that movie was bad.

StarOcean said:
The only thing that disappointed me about the movie was the soundtrack. Almost every Star Wars movie has an amazing soundtrack I can easily remember. People give the prequels shit but things like Duel of Fates and Battle of the Heroes are among some of the best and memorable themes in the series. For whatever reason the music in this movie wasn't very strong.

Well going by this sample it looks like The Hateful Eight will have a epic soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECT1rLwYxE

movie was awesome

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

metroidking said:
I wasnt hyped at all for this movie and I am so glad I didnt, it is so meh.

I always said from the get go that Disney would milk the series, the star wars series was complete with 6 movies it told one complete arc. This is just the ultimate fanboy movie.

People just wait give it a year and it will be in the same league as the prequels. Just go on reddit and you will see that audiences are already divided on this. 2nd worst in the series, nothing will ever be worse than Attack Of The Clones my god that movie was bad.

Reddit is full of crap. 

The critics are overwhelmingly crowning this a good movie and the GENERAL PUBLIC response to it has been estatic. 

And what's wrong with some fan service? If this movie isn't for Star Wars fans then who is it for?

I don't even entirely agree with that, if they wanted to make a total "fanboy" movie, Luke Skywalker would be in the movie for like 40 minutes. JJ took some calculated risks here to create a more compelling story. 

The fans don't need the perfect movie ... they just want a movie that some heart and soul and fun back into it .... this movie brings that back. It never had to be perfect. This movie really had two main goals it had to hit ... 

1.) Divorce itself from the wooden, emotion-less, sterile prequel that sucked all the fun out of Star Wars aside from a lightsaber duel. Bring back the FUN and wonder of the OT. 

2.) Set up Episode VIII. 

It did both very well. Also as a bonus point, Harrison Ford is a freaking BOSS in this movie. Killed it. Nailed it. His best performance in a movie like this in a long time, far better than the last Indiana Jones. 

Around the Network

*** SPOILERS ***

I agree that they were a LOT of reused ideas from Episode IV (kid from desert planet, hiding info in a droid, a Death Star, X-Wings launched to attack as the Death Star is about to destroy their base) but I wasn't too bothered by it. In the end, both Finn and Rey are very interesting characters and the movie was incredibly entertaining.

About Kylo Ren, I like that he's not a clear cut bad guy, still conflicted about the dark and light side (I don't like that he looks like Josh Groban though). I think that killing his father troubled him more than he thought it would which is shown by the fact that Chewie was able to land a shot on him so in the final confrontation he's shaken and wounded.

*** EXPANDED UNIVERSE SPECULATION AHEAD ***

About Rey, my guess is she's Luke's daughter (which is why they limit her backstory to a minimum). I know they said the EU has been thrown out the window but it seems it might have just been rearranged. Leia and Han had three children in the EU one of which turned to the Dark side (Jacen), Luke had a son named Ben with Mara Jade (a former disciple of the Emperor).

From what we saw in The Force Awakens, Ben is the only son of Han and Leia so maybe Luke's child is now a daughter, Rey. She could have been hidden on Jakku after Kylo Ren turned to the Dark side and destroyed the other apprentices. 

All of this to say, she might be so gifted with the force because she's the combinaison of both Light and Dark, a perfect balance.

Signature goes here!

I admit it hits all the same story beats with a bigger death star and shuffling what the 3 main characters do in each scene but honestly it still pulls it off great. They should have explained the situation in the galaxy a little better and I'm not sure if 5 more planets had to be destroyed just to up scale. Also the whole final space battle felt very deja vu (more so than the rest of the film) with the screens showing the death sta-I mean sun sucker moving into position and then the trench run with the falcon speeding out of the explosion just in time but come on it looked awesome and a new hope needed an update! Plus I think the next 2 will expand on the characters more. They honestly should have made it 10 minutes longer and gotten the current state of the galaxy more established along with a little more on Po but other than that I loved it!

I am Iron Man

Excellent SW movie.
There is a lot of story there but you must not be paying attention.

1) it does state who the First Order is, you just didn't pay attention.
2) it does show what planets were destroyed, you just didn't pay attention.
3) Kylo Ren is bad ass force wielder, but not as swordsman. It demonstrated that and the end calls it out specifically. you just didn't pay attention.
4) Similar to original trilogies, there are family backstory details intentionally left unknown, we'll learn exactly who Rey is in a future movie and that is classic SW design. you just didn't pay attention.
5) It did build up the backstory on all new characters... again you just didn't pay attention.

This was a fantastic SW movie.
+1 on fan service
+1 on battles with ships and lasers etc
+1 on fantastically new deaths stars
+1 on giving story info on previous OG characters
+1 on creating diversity in universe without going crazy / annoying
+1 on using models/puppets vs full CGI
+1 on light saber duels... keep in mind Darth Vader (already proven badass) loses to Luke who never had others to square off against in training. Basically, your gripe on Kylo Ren is ridiculous. He is uber-powerful with force, but very limited on real light saber duels.That really died off in prequels as there simply isn't enough around to perfect the art.

This was an excellent SW movie and ep8 is going to be an even bigger experience as it approaches launch. Likely to break all records ep7 just created.

amp316 said:

Honestly, it's the worst Star Wars movie ever made.  It makes Attack Of the Clones look like The Empire Strikes Back.  It makes the Phantom Menace look like A New Hope.  Sadly, this is the movie that "Star Wars fans" have asked for since the Phantom Menace.  They all wanted a movie that wasn't made by George Lucas since they now viewed him as a has been no talent hack.  You got your wish, guys.  You got a fan film made on the biggest budget of all time.  

The story reads like a bad EU novel.  Who wrote this thing?  Kevin J. Anderson?  The plot is bare bones and is basically A New Hope, but a thousand times worse.  Things are brought up briefly but never expanded upon.  Who is exactly is the First Order?  The Resistance? The Knights of Ren?  There's a New Republic?  Tell me something about them.  Anything .  Please?  

Oh, and Kylo Ren is by far the weakest main villain in the entire series.  At first I really thought that they were on to something with a sinister and powerful force wielder that was prone to temper tantrums.  Turns out that he isn't a bad ass at all.  In fact, he can be defeated in a lightsaber duel by someone that has zero training.  And I also wasn't too impressed with Supreme Leader Snoke or whatever his name was...

The whole movie goes like this.  Fan service.  Fan service. Fan service.  Cameo. Fan service.  Fan service.  Cameo.  Fan service.  Cameo.  Oh wait... A few planets were just blown up?  Who's planets were they?  Who lived there?  Why should I care?  It's things like this that make make the most fundamentally basic plot points an unmitigated disaster.

And what about Rey's backstory?  Oh yeah.  It's gone into with about as much depth as Mr. Pink's from Reservoir Dogs.  And speaking about Rey, by the end of the movie she's basically both Han Solo and Luke Skywalker put together.  Ugh.  

Say what you want about the prequels.  As a whole I agree that they weren't up to par with the original trilogy, but The Force Awakens makes me appreciate them much, much more.  It doesn't tell a new story or much of a story at all.  It's just a vehicle to sell a bunch of merchandise.  

Okay.  Now I will say some nice things.  Overall, the acting is pretty good, BB8 was cool, and it looks great but besides for that, The Force Awakens sucks! 

0 out of 5 stars for a Star Wars movie - It's like the Die Another Day of Star Wars movies.  Put in a bunch of stuff  that people enjoyed previously in the series and they will enjoy this one.  Don't worry about the script.  Blow up stuff, bring out Han, Leia, Chewie, etc. and people will think that it's great.

My ranking of the films, if you care:

1)  The Empire Strikes Back

2)  A New Hope

3)  Revenge of the Sith

4)  Return of the Jedi

5)  The Phantom Menace

6)  Attack of the Clones

7)  The Force Awakens 

I am really sorry to say that but I agree with you 100%. It's a shame what they did to STAR WARS in the 8th episode. They put together some of the know ideas from previous episodes and made something from it. I keep saying that blaster shot and lightsabers won't make a good STAR WARS movie by itself. 

The movie was forced to be made. It lacks the spirit of the STAR WARS universe. It has many very stupid mistakes arising from the ignorance and misunderstanding of the originals (even the prequels). Some decisions made by creators of the force awakens were so stupid that I coudn't believe what I was seeing on the screen.

The Force Awakens is worst by far. There is no force in the movie, no understanding what the force is in the first place. They wanted to be funny, and they were. By it would suffice to be funny and only action oriented if it was Guardians of the Galaxy (I really enjoyed that movie). But STAR WARS should go deeper and take advatage of what was created before, what was delivered. 

I won't even say anything about the Sith Master Kylo Ren. He sucked by all means. How could they made what they made with him? I don't mean his acting because I think the acting of all characters was good. But the script and situations made for the characters were so mere... 

I never thought to write something like this but I am very disappointed. George Lucas in every movie made me feel that I actually watched something special. I felt it was STAR WARS. The right approach is the key. I think that the STAR WARS universe deserves to be treated with the right kind of way. Minding the philosophy hidden in it, the main plot that makes everything so special. I think we will miss George Lucas.

Wright said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Kylo Ren is not a sith, hes someone strong with the Force (very much so) without proper training, he had  a bit of training under Luke than its unsure how much proper training he got from Snoke, judging by what Snoke says, not much.  And he is internally conflicted and was on the most conflicted moment when he faced Finn, and he was injuried and kinda wandering wtfk was going on with Rey, and Finn was fighting for hos life and Reys life throwing everything he got with reckless abandom. And Ren wins the duel, the injury he sustains is because he kinda drops his guard after besting Finn, also known as underestimating his oponent.

Kylo Ren erradicated Luke's Jedi Training place, which is what forced Luke into exile in the first place. He's far from being someone without proper training, he destroyed Luke's very foundation and all its apprentices. He can stop a blaster shot mid-way, while focusing on other things; he can mentally torture and manipulate people, and most important, he's able to throw with the force someone stronger than him and knock them out.

I get it, J.J. wanted to add some classy sword combat, but it was just dumb that Finn was able to hold as he did, especially when a Stormtrooper beat him to a pulp earlier. The explanation that "Kylo was hurt" doesn't cut it to me, honestly.

What he did with Lukes jedis is unsure, he might have killed them but he could be older than them all and surprised them, so there wasnt a fight, we also dont knwo how many there were. And Im pretty sure he didnt throw down with Luke when he decided to go rogue theres, Kylo would be like 14-15 years old when he screwed Lukes new jedi order, hed be obliterated by luke.

And as I said hes very strong with the force, but he lacks finess, he has raw power but his conflicted nature makes it hard to proper use said power, he can do some pretty spetacular things, he is likely stronger than Vader in absolute terms, but he definetly lacks training, Snoke dont use this exact words but he hints at that multiple times. Also he most likelly never actualy dueled anyone with a lightsaber outside training, as I said I doubt he threw down with Luke.