By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Smash Wii U the "Final Fantasy VII" of the Smash series?

What are you talking about? This is definitely the year of Melee the whole way through. Sure tensions aren't that bad compared to Brawl/Melee era, but Melee's scene is stronger than it ever was its entire lifespan, and Smash 4 isn't gonna change that. You guys should check out the Smashboards threads really, none of you guys I recognize actually follow both competitive scenes enough.

Does Smash 4 have a MiOM equivalent? Has it ever broke 100k views in twitch? Was there a single Salty Suite match more hype than Melee's Salty Suite matches? Did it ever have a prize pool bigger than 30k? Does Smash 4 has the legacy of Melee with it's legendary moments such as DaShizWiz vs. M2K and the Wombo Combo? The only thing I can say that Smash 4 has over Melee is consistent YouTube content, but that's only a natural advantage of being fresh. Soon, as soon as the next Smash game releases, Smash 4 will lose that advantage.

I've even heard from many friends, casual and competitive, more times have I heard from them that they prefer watching Melee over Smash 4 simply because Melee is a way better spectator sport than Smash 4.

Around the Network
Edwardooo said:
But Final Fantasy VI is better.

So yes, Smash Bros 4 is the Final Fantasy VI of the series.

How is FF6 better than 7? 7 has better characters, better story, better world, better gameplay, and is just overall far more iconic of a game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

midrange said:
hershel_layton said:

Never said having nostalgia is bad. It's what makes many of us favor one thing over the other.

I never said you thought nostalgia was bad. I said you're original claim was false and gave reasons why. There are many reasons why people would like melee more aside from nostalgia. Maybe they like that it's faster paced. Maybe they like the stages. Maybe they like the combo potential. There are many reasons why people would like melee more than the new one. Don't  think it's all because of nostalgia.

i think Melee is outdated. Though, I never played Smash competitively. Saying that, I am not sure if there's anything in melee that makes it more competitive than Smash 4(though you gave reasons for why it is, and I appreciate it).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Kotastic said:
What are you talking about? This is definitely the year of Melee the whole way through. Sure tensions aren't that bad compared to Brawl/Melee era, but Melee's scene is stronger than it ever was its entire lifespan, and Smash 4 isn't gonna change that. You guys should check out the Smashboards threads really, none of you guys I recognize actually follow both competitive scenes enough.

Does Smash 4 have a MiOM equivalent? Has it ever broke 100k views in twitch? Was there a single Salty Suite match more hype than Melee's Salty Suite matches? Did it ever have a prize pool bigger than 30k? Does Smash 4 has the legacy of Melee with it's legendary moments such as DaShizWiz vs. M2K and the Wombo Combo? The only thing I can say that Smash 4 has over Melee is consistent YouTube content, but that's only a natural advantage of being fresh. Soon, as soon as the next Smash game releases, Smash 4 will lose that advantage.

I've even heard from many friends, casual and competitive, more times have I heard from them that they prefer watching Melee over Smash 4 simply because Melee is a way better spectator sport than Smash 4.

Again, Melee has had a pretty good amount of time shaping up as the competitive game it is known today. Smash 4 hasn't really got a chance to show what it could do once everything is done and over with (i.e., updates, DLC, etc.). Sure, you can say that Smash 4 should've grown faster due to the times we live in now, but it is still growing. Players are finding more things to discover in Smash 4, especially with new patches that have made characters like Ike, DK, and Meta Knight more viable in tournament play. Heck, Cloud just got released and we will get Corrin and Bayonetta in February so who knows what they could do competitively. Smash 4 almost has about 1000 entrants for January's Genesis 3. Yeah, a far cry from 1700 entrants for Melee, but its nothing to scoff about.

If I recall, the Wombo Combo was huge back in 2008, seven years since Melee's release. Who knows what could happen with Smash 4 if you give it another 2 or 3 years. So yeah, the legacy of Melee cannot be matched, especially since Smash 4 just passed it's first year anniversary and production with DLC will finally be done around February 2016. 15 years to 1 year, its no contest. No one can dispute that.

However, there is a chance that Smash 4 can still grow with a more respectable scene. We don't even know when the next Smash game will be developed since Sakurai and his team are about to disband once they completed all the DLC. It'll probably take 4-5 years before we even hear of anything related to a new Smash game. Sakurai and his team needs a vacation after all the development they went through. Furthermore, we don't know who could possibly take the mantle if Sakurai were to leave Smash 4 as his last in the series.

Btw, another advantage I can give Smash 4 is online. Yeah, the set-ups are probably more suitable for Japanese players, but it still provides casual and hardcore players options. I felt like I can improve against those online, even though I am not that good in Smash.

Kai_Mao said:
Kotastic said:

Again, Melee has had a pretty good amount of time shaping up as the competitive game it is known today. Smash 4 hasn't really got a chance to show what it could do once everything is done and over with (i.e., updates, DLC, etc.). Sure, you can say that Smash 4 should've grown faster due to the times we live in now, but it is still growing. Players are finding more things to discover in Smash 4, especially with new patches that have made characters like Ike, DK, and Meta Knight more viable in tournament play. Heck, Cloud just got released and we will get Corrin and Bayonetta in February so who knows what they could do competitively. Smash 4 almost has about 1000 entrants for January's Genesis 3. Yeah, a far cry from 1700 entrants for Melee, but its nothing to scoff about.

If I recall, the Wombo Combo was huge back in 2008, seven years since Melee's release. Who knows what could happen with Smash 4 if you give it another 2 or 3 years. So yeah, the legacy of Melee cannot be matched, especially since Smash 4 just passed it's first year anniversary and production with DLC will finally be done around February 2016. 15 years to 1 year, its no contest. No one can dispute that.

However, there is a chance that Smash 4 can still grow with a more respectable scene. We don't even know when the next Smash game will be developed since Sakurai and his team are about to disband once they completed all the DLC. It'll probably take 4-5 years before we even hear of anything related to a new Smash game. Sakurai and his team needs a vacation after all the development they went through. Furthermore, we don't know who could possibly take the mantle if Sakurai were to leave Smash 4 as his last in the series.

Btw, another advantage I can give Smash 4 is online. Yeah, the set-ups are probably more suitable for Japanese players, but it still provides casual and hardcore players options. I felt like I can improve against those online, even though I am not that good in Smash.

I don't know what your response has to do with anything other than the fact that you're supporting that Melee has a better competitive scene regardless of the circumstance (which Melee had it harder). And let's be real here, updates won't really impact Smash 4 that much to the point where it's a radically different game. 

As to the legacy of Melee, I guess I should've referred more to this year's Apex salty suite, where the 5-0 krillindude vs. Leffrieza and Ken vs PC Chris matches were legendary, whereas Smash 4 has nothing to compare to that.

Around the Network

I hope it's the last one, so no. I think it's the magnum opus of Smash. People played VII and wanted more FF. I've played Smash and want them to end it here. There's literally no reason of integrity to make another one. They can absolutely never top what they've done here. Just port it to the NX, treat that as the "new" game, and add DLC to that one. Launch it with an adventure mode and then just keep adding characters after that again and then never make another Smash. It is done. It's perfection.

Instead, allow Nintendo vs. Capcom to pick up the mantel. That one won't have to be better because of how different it will be. It just has to be a good parallel, which it absolutely would be.

Kotastic said:
Kai_Mao said:
Kotastic said:

I don't know what your response has to do with anything other than the fact that you're supporting that Melee has a better competitive scene regardless of the circumstance (which Melee had it harder). And let's be real here, updates won't really impact Smash 4 that much to the point where it's a radically different game. 

As to the legacy of Melee, I guess I should've referred more to this year's Apex salty suite, where the 5-0 krillindude vs. Leffrieza and Ken vs PC Chris matches were legendary, whereas Smash 4 has nothing to compare to that.

I am just saying its obvious that Melee has had a lot of time while Smash 4 is still fairly young. Melee has the advantage by being the older game and having a lot of players putting a lot of work into the game. If Smash 4 has players, other than Nairo, ZeRo, ESAM, and a few others, that can really put in the time for Smash 4, who knows what could happen.

Smash 4 was heavily criticized back at Apex, the same tournament where the salty suite occurred as you mentioned. Times have changed within a year and things have improved. Plus, we just had Nairo end ZeRo's 50+ tournament winning streak at MLG in two hard fought sets. AnTi vs. ZeRo at Big House was crazy as well, along with Nairo vs. MVD at Paragon. Plus, Trela vs. Nairo at Smash the Record wasn't too shabby either. They may not be legendary to you, but these are sets that show how good Smash 4 can be at a high level.

Kotastic said:

No one cares about Smash boards, dude. Melee was never even as big as Brawl, let alone Smash 4. Literally no one cares or mentions Melee but the most core of Melee fans. 99% of the audience that plays Smash has never even heard of completitive Smash. Melee's legendary moments are literally irrelevant to the topic. The people who prefer Melee are the vast minority because the amount of people who play smash competitively compared to those who don't is in the vast minority. None of the "advantages" Melee has over Brawl or 4 resonates with anyone who can't L-cancel, and that number is so comparatively small that it normally wouldn't be worth discussing. The only reason it is is because the minority is always the loudest and most passionate.

Most hardcore FF fans don't regard FF7 as the best in the series, but it's obviously the most impostant, and is is obvious the best to the largest about of people. That's what this topic is asking. Melee was absolutely never that for Smash. It was utterly upstaged the day Brawl came out, and it has always been an underground thing since. Nothing more than a cult classic for a subset of passionate fans. Smash has never been, and is still not intented to be, a competitive esport, so Melee's success over the other entries in the series in that regard is 100% irrelevant. Smash is designed to be a play-at-home party game. not a spectator sport, and both Brawl and Smash 4 utterly blew past Melee in that regard, just as Melee did for Smash 64 before it.

Kai_Mao said:
Kotastic said:
Kai_Mao said:
Kotastic said:

I am just saying its obvious that Melee has had a lot of time while Smash 4 is still fairly young. Melee has the advantage by being the older game and having a lot of players putting a lot of work into the game. If Smash 4 has players, other than Nairo, ZeRo, ESAM, and a few others, that can really put in the time for Smash 4, who knows what could happen.

Smash 4 was heavily criticized back at Apex, the same tournament where the salty suite occurred as you mentioned. Times have changed within a year and things have improved. Plus, we just had Nairo end ZeRo's 50+ tournament winning streak at MLG in two hard fought sets. AnTi vs. ZeRo at Big House was crazy as well, along with Nairo vs. MVD at Paragon. Plus, Trela vs. Nairo at Smash the Record wasn't too shabby either. They may not be legendary to you, but these are sets that show how good Smash 4 can be at a high level.

...by that logic, Smash 4 has the same advantage as 95% of the top players were the same as Brawl. There's no excuse why there wasn't a salty suite between them.

Honestly the best thing that ever happened to Smash 4 was nerfing Diddy's Up-air. It removed the stigma that the game badly needed it to be gone if it wanted to avoid the fate Brawl had. Nothing else really came close to impacting the game ever since, and nothing will now that there's not as much stigma as there was before. And I've watched all those matches you listed, and while good, does not come close to comparing these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYt7hPU8svw - Armada vs Leffen Paragon 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGECvQgTkV8 - Leffen vs DruggedFox Evo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXbS1Pb0g_g (the other half) - Plup vs Leffen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW_m7kvGVXc - Abate vs S2J BH5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv74JXJBFwk - PPMD vs Leffen Apex

I can list more, but I think you get my point/

midrange said:

You didn't really address my point though that melee has succesfully stayed relevant in the competitive scene (and will most likely continue to do so), whereas we are unsure of whether S4 will do the same.

Honestly, there is no way to prove which one remains on top in the future so we may as well agree to disagree and just wait and see. Without claiming that one of them will undoubtably replace the other

I didn't address it because the is no point to address it's just you saying it can't because it can't.