By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Smash Wii U the "Final Fantasy VII" of the Smash series?

midrange said:

Of course they stopped supporting brawl, in what way, shape, or form are they supporting brawl. If by support, you mean they let tournaments use it, then the same applies to melee meaning that melee will overtake smash 4 just like it passed brawl.

By support for smash 4, I meant dlc/patches (of which they are wrapping up).

What are you on about Nintendo never supported Brawl at all, they only acknowledged the competitive scene in 2013 from EVO onward, Nintendo actually sponsors big tournaments now and push S4, Melee will be around but it won't overtake S4 in the long run as what's going to happen now is Melee will be down sized at big tournaments such as Evo in the coming years like most other legacy games, ironically Melee will then mainly be like it was years back where it will be the Melee crowd mainly focused on it.

Around the Network

Uuuuhhh...no. That will be Melee.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

hershel_layton said:

Whoever still thinks Melee is better than SSB4 is really just using nostalgia.

Smash Bros 4 has better looks(Melee looks outdated), a way better roster, amazing music, way more stages, 8 PLAYER Mode, more controllers to use, Amiibo support(cool thing to use), 3DS-controller capability(win for me), and an online mode(which melee doesn't have)

I love all the Smash games, but I just think that Sakurai did extremely well with Melee. He basically improved upon brawl and melee, and made a game that can be played for ages.

@bolded: Apparently people can't have opinions without it being "nostalgia."

clearly SSB4 has the EXACT same physics as melee. I love being able to edge hog and wave dash in SSB4. I love being able to play on  pokemon stadium and great bay on SSB4.

you can like smash 4 better, but don't expect people to like it as much as you do.

Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

Of course they stopped supporting brawl, in what way, shape, or form are they supporting brawl. If by support, you mean they let tournaments use it, then the same applies to melee meaning that melee will overtake smash 4 just like it passed brawl.

What are you on about Nintendo never supported Brawl at all, they only acknowledged the competitive scene in 2013 from EVO onward, Nintendo actually sponsors big tournaments now and push S4, Melee will be around but it won't overtake S4 in the long run as what's going to happen now is Melee will be down sized at big tournaments such as Evo in the coming years like most other legacy games, ironically Melee will then mainly be like it was years back where it will be the Melee crowd mainly focused on it.

Smash 4 is only big because Nintendo is trying to push it in tournaments. There is no gaurantee that the game will be big in the competitive scene once Nintendo decides to stop supporting smash 4.

Right now, melee has proven to be a timeless classic, smash 4 has not. To anticipate smash 4 to remain big in the future is wishful thinking. It may be possible, but I wouldn't be too sure

midrange said:
Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

Smash 4 is only big because Nintendo is trying to push it in tournaments. There is no gaurantee that the game will be big in the competitive scene once Nintendo decides to stop supporting smash 4.

Right now, melee has proven to be a timeless classic, smash 4 has not. To anticipate smash 4 to remain big in the future is wishful thinking. It may be possible, but I wouldn't be too sure

Melee has been around for almost 15 years..Smash 4 just made it passed it's first year anniversary and is about to release it's final dose of DLC by February 2016. So yeah, it cannot be considered a classic because it's still fairly young. Time will tell with this latest edition. The only way the game continues to grow is the community. It was the same with Melee and it will have to be that way for Smash 4 to remain relevant in the competitive scene. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
midrange said:
Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

Melee has been around for almost 15 years..Smash 4 just made it passed it's first year anniversary and is about to release it's final dose of DLC by February 2016. So yeah, it cannot be considered a classic because it's still fairly young. Time will tell with this latest edition. The only way the game continues to grow is the community. It was the same with Melee and it will have to be that way for Smash 4 to remain relevant in the competitive scene. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

I suppose you're right this is something we have to wait and see

Smash U is the best. I mean just looks at the rosters. These along make Smash U the best in the series, but nope nostalgia fans would still gonna defending it becuz it's a classic...
And Final Fantasy VII is awesome, but my personal BEST is Final Fantasy X.

bigtakilla said:
DivinePaladin said:
Once most of the melee stragglers stop going, yes. But there are many competitive melee players who refuse to acknowledge Smash 4 or outright trashing it because it's not exactly like melee. But now that there are some really good newcomers to the competitive scene, melee's lasting power might not be as strong.

Melee is VII because it's the one more people experienced first to get them into the series. vi is the better game, and that's Smash 4.

Outside of the people I hang with that go to tournaments, Shokio is a big tournament Smash player and he made the switch. I think initially there was some skepticism, but after all is said and done and all the players get released it's going to be a force that is simply undeniable.

It doesn't help that the meta keeps changing ever so slightly because of patches so the Melee players don't wanna jump over and have to continue upping their game. Understandable, and that's why Melee players often went to Brawl and stayed with both for a good while, and why some even went back to 64. Plus, we had somebody who was almost unbeatable in Zero for a good while, which had to factor into Melee players not wanting to jump in right away. Now that Nairo is on the scene too and the patch support is close to done I'm sure more will jump over begrudgingly at first since that's where the money is going. 

midrange said:
hershel_layton said:

Whoever still thinks Melee is better than SSB4 is really just using nostalgia.

Smash Bros 4 has better looks(Melee looks outdated), a way better roster, amazing music, way more stages, 8 PLAYER Mode, more controllers to use, Amiibo support(cool thing to use), 3DS-controller capability(win for me), and an online mode(which melee doesn't have)

I love all the Smash games, but I just think that Sakurai did extremely well with Melee. He basically improved upon brawl and melee, and made a game that can be played for ages.

@bolded: Apparently people can't have opinions without it being "nostalgia."

clearly SSB4 has the EXACT same physics as melee. I love being able to edge hog and wave dash in SSB4. I love being able to play on  pokemon stadium and great bay on SSB4.

you can like smash 4 better, but don't expect people to like it as much as you do.

I don't know of too many people who picked up Melee in the modern day and prefer it to 4, so nostalgia is clearly a factor. It's a tough sell to say nostalgia doesn't factor in when the players arguing that almost exclusively started it in the GC era. If this was a game people were still taking up and starting today, like an Ocarina or the like, then yeah I could see your point, but the only people shouting about how Melee is superior are the guys who picked it up first. 

Melee is still a great game, no doubt about it, but you're setting up a pretty bad strawman by going right to sarcastically discussing physics and it doesn't make your point stronger compared to what layton was saying. Everybody is always going to have preferences, but as you yourself said, don't expect everybody to like Melee as much as you do, especially not with another game taking the spotlight away. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Nope. Melee is where it peaked.

StarOcean said:

Melee will always have that "legacy". To be honest I really don't like Smash U, it feels very... meh, barely above the N64 version. The lack of any Adventure Mode or SSE really made me disinterested in it after a few hours

EDIT: I forgot how pissed I was that literally 50% or more of the stages are just reused from Brawl...

The reason you see some people get mad when someone argues that a game or franchise use to be better in the past boils down to psychology. See, if one accepts that an IP's best days are behind it, then this means the game they just bought... and any furture games they buy, are less. They're devalued now and always will be. No one wants to feel like their beloved ANYTHING is finished, or past it's prime. No one wants to accept a reality that the thing they love the most, or love period, isn't as good as it use to be. So, there's this sort of resistance... a delusional thought process that takes over. 

In a perfect world, people would see everything logically and from an unbiased perspective but I don't think most of the population is wired that way. There's just too many men walking around with beards, black rimmed glasses, skinny jeans and hipster cuts to suggest otherwise.