By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Smash Wii U the "Final Fantasy VII" of the Smash series?

spemanig said:
Kotastic said:
What are you talking about? This is definitely the year of Melee the whole way through. Sure tensions aren't that bad compared to Brawl/Melee era, but Melee's scene is stronger than it ever was its entire lifespan, and Smash 4 isn't gonna change that. You guys should check out the Smashboards threads really, none of you guys I recognize actually follow both competitive scenes enough.

Does Smash 4 have a MiOM equivalent? Has it ever broke 100k views in twitch? Was there a single Salty Suite match more hype than Melee's Salty Suite matches? Did it ever have a prize pool bigger than 30k? Does Smash 4 has the legacy of Melee with it's legendary moments such as DaShizWiz vs. M2K and the Wombo Combo? The only thing I can say that Smash 4 has over Melee is consistent YouTube content, but that's only a natural advantage of being fresh. Soon, as soon as the next Smash game releases, Smash 4 will lose that advantage.

I've even heard from many friends, casual and competitive, more times have I heard from them that they prefer watching Melee over Smash 4 simply because Melee is a way better spectator sport than Smash 4.

No one cares about Smash boards, dude. Melee was never even as big as Brawl, let alone Smash 4. Literally no one cares or mentions Melee but the most core of Melee fans. 99% of the audience that plays Smash has never even heard of completitive Smash. Melee's legendary moments are literally irrelevant to the topic. The people who prefer Melee are the vast minority because the amount of people who play smash competitively compared to those who don't is in the vast minority. None of the "advantages" Melee has over Brawl or 4 resonates with anyone who can't L-cancel, and that number is so comparatively small that it normally wouldn't be worth discussing. The only reason it is is because the minority is always the loudest and most passionate.

Most hardcore FF fans don't regard FF7 as the best in the series, but it's obviously the most impostant, and is is obvious the best to the largest about of people. That's what this topic is asking. Melee was absolutely never that for Smash. It was utterly upstaged the day Brawl came out, and it has always been an underground thing since. Nothing more than a cult classic for a subset of passionate fans. Smash has never been, and is still not intented to be, a competitive esport, so Melee's success over the other entries in the series in that regard is 100% irrelevant. Smash is designed to be a play-at-home party game. not a spectator sport, and both Brawl and Smash 4 utterly blew past Melee in that regard, just as Melee did for Smash 64 before it.

Are you delusional about saying that Melee was never as big as Smash 4 and Brawl? If you're talking about competitive standards, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1hhdrc7pU (which is what the topic is about). If you're talking about pure fun, Melee does that grandly too; there's a reason why it's the most popular GameCube title over Mario Kart and such, whereas Brawl and Smash 4 had the advantage of a much bigger install base. The beauty of Melee was that it could be played a casual AND competitive game, there is no reason why that future Smash games omitted the fast competitive aspects of it. You can't compare Melee's situation to Brawl's and Smash 4's situation which was far better than Melee, and 14 years ago, the content in Melee was mind-blowing, and it's still impressive today. I bet you if Nintendo kept up the same formula from Melee, sales would be better.

Around the Network
Kotastic said:
spemanig said:
Kotastic said:
What are you talking about? This is definitely the year of Melee the whole way through. Sure tensions aren't that bad compared to Brawl/Melee era, but Melee's scene is stronger than it ever was its entire lifespan, and Smash 4 isn't gonna change that. You guys should check out the Smashboards threads really, none of you guys I recognize actually follow both competitive scenes enough.

Does Smash 4 have a MiOM equivalent? Has it ever broke 100k views in twitch? Was there a single Salty Suite match more hype than Melee's Salty Suite matches? Did it ever have a prize pool bigger than 30k? Does Smash 4 has the legacy of Melee with it's legendary moments such as DaShizWiz vs. M2K and the Wombo Combo? The only thing I can say that Smash 4 has over Melee is consistent YouTube content, but that's only a natural advantage of being fresh. Soon, as soon as the next Smash game releases, Smash 4 will lose that advantage.

I've even heard from many friends, casual and competitive, more times have I heard from them that they prefer watching Melee over Smash 4 simply because Melee is a way better spectator sport than Smash 4.

No one cares about Smash boards, dude. Melee was never even as big as Brawl, let alone Smash 4. Literally no one cares or mentions Melee but the most core of Melee fans. 99% of the audience that plays Smash has never even heard of completitive Smash. Melee's legendary moments are literally irrelevant to the topic. The people who prefer Melee are the vast minority because the amount of people who play smash competitively compared to those who don't is in the vast minority. None of the "advantages" Melee has over Brawl or 4 resonates with anyone who can't L-cancel, and that number is so comparatively small that it normally wouldn't be worth discussing. The only reason it is is because the minority is always the loudest and most passionate.

Most hardcore FF fans don't regard FF7 as the best in the series, but it's obviously the most impostant, and is is obvious the best to the largest about of people. That's what this topic is asking. Melee was absolutely never that for Smash. It was utterly upstaged the day Brawl came out, and it has always been an underground thing since. Nothing more than a cult classic for a subset of passionate fans. Smash has never been, and is still not intented to be, a competitive esport, so Melee's success over the other entries in the series in that regard is 100% irrelevant. Smash is designed to be a play-at-home party game. not a spectator sport, and both Brawl and Smash 4 utterly blew past Melee in that regard, just as Melee did for Smash 64 before it.

Are you delusional about saying that Melee was never as big as Smash 4 and Brawl? If you're talking about competitive standards, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1hhdrc7pU (which is what the topic is about). If you're talking about pure fun, Melee does that grandly too; there's a reason why it's the most popular GameCube title over Mario Kart and such, whereas Brawl and Smash 4 had the advantage of a much bigger install base. The beauty of Melee was that it could be played a casual AND competitive game, there is no reason why that future Smash games omitted the fast competitive aspects of it. You can't compare Melee's situation to Brawl's and Smash 4's situation which was far better than Melee, and 14 years ago, the content in Melee was mind-blowing, and it's still impressive today. I bet you if Nintendo kept up the same formula from Melee, sales would be better.

If you're talking about Wii U, then your point is invalid about Smash 4 having a sales advantage. If you're talking about Wii U and 3DS, then I get your point. I am not sure if Smash Bros. going under the same formula as Melee would've improve sales significantly compared to Brawl and Smash 4's engine. It's revisionist history at this point. Remember, Melee was a launch title for the GameCube. Brawl sold around 13 million copies since it's release in 2008, around 2 years since the launch of the Wii. You're telling me that Brawl would've sold more than that with the Melee engine? Smash 4 had the luxury (or detriment) to have been released on both Wii U and 3DS. Combined, they sold for about 12 million. How many people from the casual audience (who probably take up majority of all the Smash Bros. sales) will care about comparing Melee's engine to Brawl's?

Btw, I've seen some of the videos you've posted. Great matches and they've shown how much growth Melee has had over the years. Hopefully, Smash 4 can do the same in a couple of years from now. Smash 4 can be competitive in its own merits. It may not be up to your merits, but I like what I have seen up to this point with Smash 4. It's exciting and intense. There's nothing wrong with two (or three) games in the same franchise succeeding. 

I am speaking as a Smash Bros. fan in general believe it or not. I love all the games and had great memories with each of them. I just like to support Smash 4 more because I know there is more that I haven't seen yet and I want it to succeed just like Melee did. I mean, I can't even do half the things I've seen pros do in Smash 4. With Melee, I was probably really good at it when I was in middle school, and I can't even fathom how much there is to do in terms of mechanics. I've only got interested in the competitive scene about a year ago.

Wyrdness said:
midrange said:

You didn't really address my point though that melee has succesfully stayed relevant in the competitive scene (and will most likely continue to do so), whereas we are unsure of whether S4 will do the same.

Honestly, there is no way to prove which one remains on top in the future so we may as well agree to disagree and just wait and see. Without claiming that one of them will undoubtably replace the other

I didn't address it because the is no point to address it's just you saying it can't because it can't.

I didn't say smash 4 won't have longetivity, I said we can't be sure if it will. We can make that claim for melee since it is still being played heavily even till today

spemanig said:
I hope it's the last one, so no. I think it's the magnum opus of Smash. People played VII and wanted more FF. I've played Smash and want them to end it here. There's literally no reason of integrity to make another one. They can absolutely never top what they've done here. Just port it to the NX, treat that as the "new" game, and add DLC to that one. Launch it with an adventure mode and then just keep adding characters after that again and then never make another Smash. It is done. It's perfection.

Instead, allow Nintendo vs. Capcom to pick up the mantel. That one won't have to be better because of how different it will be. It just has to be a good parallel, which it absolutely would be.

Smash Bros 4 is phenomenal. Add a story mode, more minigames, more characters, extra DLC, and port it. Sakurai doesn't need to start fresh. Just a waste of time. They've nearly perfected the chemistry of smash

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.