By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Results are in: Classics from the 7th generation

The results are in! I'd like to thank everybody for taking part. A total of 48 users voted for 71 different games, which is a lot more variation than I though I would see. For the most part I think we voted for the right reasons, and for that reason every vote counted, but if I do this in the future for a separate reason I will be a lot stricter on refusing votes that don't include arguments.

I have decided that the top ten should arguably be considered what VGC believes are most likely to be classics, so here is a short description:

1. With a grand total of 68 points from 18 total votes, VGC believes that Super Mario Galaxy is most definitely a classic from the 7th generation.
  2. Second most likely to be a classic in the eyes of VGC is The Last of Us, which snagged 57 points from 15 total votes.
  3. Grabbing the bronze is Mass Effect 2, whom 12 different users included in their lists; totalling 42 points.
  4. Barely missing the podium is Uncharted 2. This game generated a respectable 39 points from 13 votes.
  5. Coming in at fifth most likely to be a classic, the rapturous Bioshock received 34 points from 9 votes.
  6. Dark Souls takes 6th place with 33 points from 9 Chartzers.
  7. With a sum of 28 points from 9 picks, Red Dead Redemption makes receives VGC's Classic Seal.
  8. Shooting its way into 8th place, Call of Duty 4 generated 25 points from its 7 votes.
  9. Minecraft creeps its way onto the list with 24 points from 6 total votes.
  10. We have a tie for tenth place. Both Wii Sports and Skyrim received 6 votes and 19 points. I have decided that both make the top ten.

7th Generation Classics

Higher points on table = higher VGC belief in classic status

Place on List Game Total Points
Total Votes #1 Votes #2 Votes #3 Votes #4 Votes #5 Votes
1 Super Mario Galaxy 68 18 10 3 0 1 4
2 The Last of Us 57 15 8 1 2 3 1
3 Mass Effect 2 42 12 2 7 0 1 2
4 Uncharted 2 39 13 1 4 4 3 1
5 Bioshock 34 9 3 3 1 2 0
6 Dark Souls 33 9 3 3 0 3 0
7 Red Dead Redemption 28 9 2 1 3 2 1
8 Call of Duty 4 25 7 2 2 2 0 1
9 Minecraft 24 6 3 2 0 0 1
Tie 10 Wii Sports 19 6 1 2 1 1 1
10 Skyrim 19 6 1 0 4 1 0
12 Xenoblade Chronicles 14 4 1 1 1 1 0
Tie 13 MW2 12 4 1 0 2 0 1
13 Journey 12 4 1 1 0 1 1
Tie 15 Super Smash BB 11 4 0 1 1 2 0
15 Demon's Souls 11 3 0 2 1 0 0
17 Alan Wake 10 3 1 0 1 1 0
Tie 18 Skyward Sword 9 3 0 1 1 1 0
18 Oblivion 9 2 1 1 0 0 0
18 Donkey Kong Returns 9 2 1 1 0 0 0
21 Fallout 3 8 2 1 0 1 0 0
22 SMG2 7 2 1 0 0 1 0
Tie 23 God of War 3 6 4 0 0 0 2 2
23 Pokemon Diamond etc 6 2 0 0 2 0 0
23 Fallout New Vegas 6 2 0 0 2 0 0
23 Catherine 6 2 0 0 2 0 0
23 MGS4 6 2 0 1 0 2 0
Tie 28 Arkham City 5 3 0 0 0 2 1
28 Just Cause 2 5 2 0 0 1 1 0
28 Halo 3 5 2 0 0 1 1 0
28 Dead Space 5 2 0 1 0 0 1
28 Valkyria Chronicles 5 1 1 0 0 0 0
28 Tekken Tag 2 5 1 1 0 0 0 0
28 Medieval II 5 1 1 0 0 0 0
Tie 35 Portal 2 4 3 0 0 0 1 2
35 ACII 4 3 0 0 0 2 1
35 Fire Emblem: RD 4 2 0 0 0 2 0
35 Bioshock Infinite 4 2 0 0 1 0 1
35 Resi Evil 5 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 R&C Crack 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 Mass Effect 3 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 L4D2 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 Killzone 2 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 Custom Robo Arena 4 1 0 1 0 0 0
35 God of War 2 4 1 1 0 0 0 0
Tie 46 The Last Story 3 2 0 0 0 1 1
46 Dead Island 3 2 0 0 0 1 1
46 World at War 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Twilight Princess 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Tomb Raider 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Starcraft II 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Ni No Kuni 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Lost Planet 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Deus Ex HR 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Black Ops 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
46 Arkham Asylum 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
Tie 57 Metroid Prime 3 2 2 0 0 0 0 2
57 Pokemon Soul SIlver 2 1 2 0 0 1 0
57 GTAV 2 1 0 0 0 1 0
57 Crysis 2 1 0 0 0 1 0
Tie 61 Wipeout HD 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Uncharted 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Super Meat Boy 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Siren Bloodcurse 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Portal 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 MAG 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 DBZ 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Bulletstorm 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 AC III 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
61 Assassin's Creed 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

Your banner has 3 of my 5 picks.

#1. Bioshock - Atmosphere and story-telling in this game are just top notch. The twist at the end is fun too. Being completely immersed in Rapture was one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, let alone Gen 7. This game made enough of an impact on me that I have a Big Daddy tattoo on my arm.

#2. Mass Effect (the series as a whole) - Mass Effect filled a void that I felt KOTOR left behind when a third game never came. The fact that they made such a massive shift in gameplay from 1 to 2 yet were still able to keep the core of the game feeling the same was a rare feat.

#3. Catherine - When I first heard about this game I thought "that sounds like the worst thing ever made." Then I played it, on a whim, and it became one of my favorite Gen 7 games. The puzzle aspect was just complex enough to be challenging without being daunting. The story and animation were great as well.

#4. Red Dead Redemption - I HATE the wild west. Hate it. Movies? Screw that. Games? Nope. RDR was suggested by a friend who offered to buy it for me because it was "that good" and he was not wrong. It wasn't enough to change my opinion of the wild west genre, but it was enough to make me forgive it for the quality of the game.

#5. Dead Space (just the first one) - I never really bought into Resident Evil or Silent Hill in previous gens. So, Dead Space was my first real introduction to the horror genre of gaming. The weapons were fun and the controls perfect for the environment the game provided.

Neodegenerate said:

#1. Bioshock - Atmosphere and story-telling in this game are just top notch. The twist at the end is fun too. Being completely immersed in Rapture was one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, let alone Gen 7. This game made enough of an impact on me that I have a Big Daddy tattoo on my arm.

#2. Mass Effect (the series as a whole) - Mass Effect filled a void that I felt KOTOR left behind when a third game never came. The fact that they made such a massive shift in gameplay from 1 to 2 yet were still able to keep the core of the game feeling the same was a rare feat.

#3. Catherine - When I first heard about this game I thought "that sounds like the worst thing ever made." Then I played it, on a whim, and it became one of my favorite Gen 7 games. The puzzle aspect was just complex enough to be challenging without being daunting. The story and animation were great as well.

#4. Red Dead Redemption - I HATE the wild west. Hate it. Movies? Screw that. Games? Nope. RDR was suggested by a friend who offered to buy it for me because it was "that good" and he was not wrong. It wasn't enough to change my opinion of the wild west genre, but it was enough to make me forgive it for the quality of the game.

#5. Dead Space (just the first one) - I never really bought into Resident Evil or Silent Hill in previous gens. So, Dead Space was my first real introduction to the horror genre of gaming. The weapons were fun and the controls perfect for the environment the game provided.

I'm afraid I'll have to force you to choose a single entry in the Mass Effect trilogy haha. You can keep the trilogy as your answer, but for numbers sake I need a single game

*edit* my picks:

#1: Call of Duty 4 - If there was any doubt in your mind that the CoD4 formula was not timeless, then I provide proof: the fact that it has been recycled for almost ten years and actually increased in sales. The story was good for a modern FPS (Ghillie mission ftw), but it is the MP aspect that gives this game classic status. If you ignore the tarnish caked on by sequels, you cannot deny how addictingly fun this game's MP was. XP based levelling and unlocks, killstreaks, and a variety of game modes kept you playing for hours on end. Infinity Ward bless.

#2: Mass Effect 2 - A brilliant sci-fi epic that connects you to your crew like no other game (i've seen) before. Generic cover shooting and powers, RPG elements, and some of the greatest presentation and story direction in history. No exaggeration. More than ever you feel as though you are Commander Sheperd, and that you are saving humanity with your newly befriended allies by your side.

#3: Uncharted 2 - Drake's Fortune came first, yet no one really talks about that one when discussing this franchise; 2 and 3 are mentioned far more in discussion. The raw formula in the game didn't change: big-screen feeling, story-based, TPS, platforming, puzzles, action/adventure game with cool set pieces. So why do I consider UC2 the best in the franchise, and also a modern classic? Because it was bigger, cooler, more beautiful, more engaging, smoother... hell it was just 10X better all-around. It was like a playable movie that wasn't boring. Train level = 10/10

#4: Bioshock - This is a game on the list that I believe will be remembered solely for it's setting, or atmosphere if you will. The gameplay was nothing special, and the story would have had a lesser impact if it weren't for its cohesion with the setting of Rapture. Let me tell you though, they pulled off the premise of an underwater city flawlessly. Never before had I felt so in the game; in the setting. 1960s underwater metropolis Rapture is too awesome to forget anytime soon. Not to mention Big Daddys; a modern icon.

#5: Portal 2: "Portal makes the list for cleverly implementing physics based puzzles and witty humor in an accessible manner. Satisfying and funny, it stands out as one of the most unique games of the seventh generation." ReimTime, 2015. I agree with that dude, except I choose Portal 2 because it is a better game. The idea was fully-fleshed out in the second iteration, and the puzzles were even greater. Add a co-op mode both online and offline, then ramp up the humor, and you have yourself a place on my list.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
Neodegenerate said:

I'm afraid I'll have to force you to choose a single entry in the Mass Effect trilogy haha. You can keep the trilogy as your answer, but for numbers sake I need a single game

For numbers sake I'd go with 2 then.

#1 - Super Mario Galaxy (I would choose the sequel, but I think Galaxy 1 will be remembered more)
#2 - Dark Souls
#3 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
#4 - Red Dead Redemption
#5 - Batman: Arkham City

bet: lost

Around the Network

#1 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - This was the true starting point of the dominance that Call of Duty showcased throughout the 7th generation and the current generation. A true Halo killer and a heavy influence on the FPS genre itself.

#2 - Mass Effect 2 - I feel like the Mass Effect series overall is a perfect example of how to build characters and a universe around them. I don't think any other game nailed all the elements to universe building, story, and characterization like Mass Effect was able to accomplish. I chose the 2nd game as it was my personal favorite and I felt it had the best elements of what made all three Mass Effects phenomenal games. 

#3 - Skyrim - This is the type of game that will be referenced for years and was truely a great example of a what an open world game could be. Often times I see comparisons being drawn back to this game. It's hard not to see this as one of the classics that will be remembered for years to come.

#4 -  Super Mario Galaxy - While the sequel is better in my eyes, it's hard to argue that it redefined what was possible or expected in a platforming game. A true classic and gem for the 7th generation.

#5 - Portal - It's design is something truely to marvel at. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

#1 red dead redemption - story is a lot of entertainment and it has the classic feel. Also my favorite game of 7th gen.
#2 oblivion - gorgeous big and infinite. Epic in scale.
#3 just cause 2 - explosions explosions explosions.
#4 assassin's creed II - exploration and renaissance with puzzles and tight combat.
#5 assassin's creed III - same as above minus the puzzles and ezio auditore de firenze. 

Thanks for the input so far! I'm seeing some trends already

#1 Amb-ass-ador

1) Mass Effect 2 (PS3)- Apologies to the original but when I thought "yeah my ship is totes ready for the final assault" and Kasumi died IN THE FREAKING ENGINE CHAMBER I realized this was no joke. Also my favorite moment of 3 was Grunts mission which was made all the better thanks to ME2.

2) Custom Robo Arena (DS) - I played this game alot. I even bought it twice after my DS was stolen. The multiplayer was great, post game content great, music great. DRAGON GUN 4EVER BOI!!!

3) Deus Ex: Human Revolution (WiiU/but it is a 7th gen game) - Just wow on this one, I enjoyed every bit of it, and I had to replay the part where Malik almost dies a billion times to keep her alive. That was after I drug the body as far as I could.

4) Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - Say what you want about tripping, this game was everything i ever wanted in 2008. Sonic, IKE!!!, and even Snake! The stage creator was fun and I was in a clan for a while.

5) COD: MW2 (X360) - THE Call of Duty game in my book. Played way to much Rust with my uncles. Not to mention the fantastic spec ops.

Oh, im at five already. man...

Honorable Mention:

Pokemon Platinum, Dokapon Kingdom, MK DS, Red Dead Redemption, 999

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

The Last of Us

That's it