By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Results are in: Classics from the 7th generation

1. Journey, perfect little game with great music and unique online experience.
2. Dark souls, best interconnected 3D world I've ever experienced.
3. Ni No Kuni, Studio Ghibli's one and only appearance in games.
4. The last of us, great story, feels like a real journey.
5. Wipeout HD, polished to perfection with a kick ass soundtrack.

Classics that will be remembered
1. Wii sports
2. Wii Fit
3. The walking dead
4. Dance central
5. Guitar hero

Around the Network

Man.... Some classic games last gen. Tagged for later.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Locknuts said:

Does Starcraft II count?

Yes because it came out in 2010

Kai_Mao said:

#4 - Wii Sports - While the novelty of motion controls has long died down, I think it's still amazing that this particular game really caught on with all gamers alike, especially those from a new audience. I think it brought a lot people who may have never played a game together with gamers. The gameplay was intuitive and the design was inviting to all people. It's not a technical marvel to look at nor has it created a long-term trend. However, for its generation, it was something to behold and it brought families together like no other game could before or maybe even after its release.

This one just narrowly missed making my list

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Wow, goodness. This is a hard one for me... 7th gen must have come out at a bad time for me, as I was in college at the time it started. The only game I feel is a classic from last gen was Wii Sports. That game did really well in making games more accessible to people as well as just having really fun times with bowling, tennis, and baseball x )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Hmm, if I had to choose 5 from last gen:

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Dark Souls

Portal 2

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Timeless games from the past (IMO)
-Tetris
-Pac Man
-Double Dragon (or any well done beat 'em up)
- Street Fighter II
-Super Mario Bros series (2D and 3D)
-Gradius (or any well made space shooter)
-Chrono Trigger
-Virtua Tennis
-2D Metroid (Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission)
-2D Zelda (from LttP forward)

That's from 6th gen and earlier.

That's all I can think of. Not a lot. Out idea of good graphics changes all the time. Or idea of good gameplay changes and what was a good idea before becomes broken and awkward as time goes by. Tons of games are playable but t they age slowly but surely. Timeless is so hard to define. My favorite games probably aren't even timeless but some games just have that magic. Anyone can play and anyone can enjoy, so long as it's a genre that appeals to them.

7th gen? I'll tell you tomorrow.

1. Fallout 3
2. Bioshock
3. Alan Wake
4. Zelda Skyward Sword
5. Mario Galaxy
6. Skyrim

I must metione that I still didnt play The Last Of Us or Uncharted.

1. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

Like seriously. This game deserves so much more love than it gets. It's friggin amazing.

2. Skyrim
Regardless of what people say about it, this is the sort of game that will still be played in decades, because of it's "reputation" among PC gamers. And also it's great, so there's that.

3. Portal 2
Back when Valve still made games, they made gems like this. It was also the third (huehue) franchise to get the Valve treatment, aka getting two loved main entries, but never getting a third, because Valve doesn't like money.

EDIT:

4. Super Meat Boy

Because.... it's awesome....

#1 Bioshock - The game had so much atmosphere and depth that I could not put down the controller.

#2 Uncharted 2 - Such a brilliant game, one of the shining gems of the 7th gen.

#3 Skyrim - Literally spent hundreds of hours playing the game to completion and exploring the world, one of the first open world games that I got so involved with.

#4 Mass Effect 2 - A game that took a great concept and made it even better!

#5 Assassin's Creed II - My first AC game and still remains the best of the series IMO!!

#1. Valkyria Chronicles - a clear stand out classic for me. Sure it didn't sell a ton, but it is an engrossing and beautiful game that holds up as well today as it did in 2008. Omg, 2008? Is that right? That was a long time ago.

#2. Dead Space - this is from 2008 too. O man. The fear that this game induces is real. You're alone for god knows how long on a ship full of unholy creatures that are the fruits of a crazy cult. Engrossing story, legitimately scarey gameplay, even today. Playing it alone in the dark is still a blast.

#3. Tomb Raider - For me, the perfect reboot of a lagging series. It completely reimagined Lara and her world in a way that no one really expected. Sales weren't insane, but it doesn't matter. It was solid.

#4. Batman: Arkham City - possibly the best in the series. It definitely made it feel like Batman's world was your oyster. Throw in playable Catwoman as a bonus and you have a game that i spent far too much time on. PS. I wish Catwoman was playable in the main game for at least the same amount of time in the newest iteration.

#5. Journey - It has a resonant story that will still be applicable years from now. It's not based on any kind of trend. It's kind of timeless. The gameplay is simple and seems like it can stand the test of time as well.