By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Results are in: Classics from the 7th generation

Done OP. Already edited my original post with the 5 games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360)
It was the first true open world game I ever played. The fact that I could go where I wanted and do what I wanted was amazing. I easily put over 200 hours on it. Oblivion is a game that really set the bar for future open world games on consoles.

2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Just everything about this game was great. It really redefined how Mario would be played in the future, in my opinion.

3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360)
This is the game that got me into online shooters. Me and my friends would get online everyday after school and play until the middle of the night most of the time. We would mostly just troll people with noobtubes :p I'm sure others have similar storys to mine, but I believe this is the Cod that really made online shooting mainstream and that is why it will be remembered.

4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
To me this is the one of the best tactical strategy games out there. I beat and replayed the game so many times and put hundreds of hours into it. I was addicted to say the least. From the story to true HD cinimatics it really takes the cake. I set steps that really improved the series and future istallations.

5. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Wii)
Out of all the Dragon Ball games, this is by far the best one. You can get just about every character in the DB Universe including GT. Another thing it had was all the sagas and what if scenarios. to me it was one of the better fighting games on the market. It was a fighting game anyone could pick up, but it had combos that took practice to get down.

Honorable Mentions

Dark Souls 1 (360)
Batman Arkham City (360)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii)
Star Wars The Force Unleashed 1 (Wii)
Fallout 3 (360)

Note: I do not own a PS3 so that is the reason why I do not have any PS3 games on my list.

Bioshock
TLOU
Uncharted
Dark souls (I feel demon's souls should get the most credit, but it won't)
Red dead redemption

1. The Last of Us - With the high standards we have for games nowadays, seeing a game this amazing and complete is a rare sight. Believable protagonists building a relationship, facing unfavorable odds and being part of debatable moral choices. Not your average "rescue the princess" story. It might not be perfect, but it is truly the best at portraying a story and make us care about those who star in it. The best game of the seventh generation, bar none.

2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - While it's not a rare sight for a sequel to outperform a first game, this one did it better than any other franchise. Pair a fun and freeflowing gameplay, a plethora of likeable characters, gorgeous graphics even by today's standards, a strong story with an incredibly well done dialogue, a jaw-dropping soundtrack and a couple of memorable moments, and you get an instant classic. The entire game is damn good, but it's the train scene that's shines from the rest.

3. Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar wasn't well known to do western shooters before this game, but now it is. This open world western has something a Grand Theft Auto couldn't make properly, and that is a incredible story with an amazing ending.

4. Batman: Arkham City - After lots of years withstanding decent and bad superhero games, Rocksteady came with Batman: Arkham Asylum and proved that these games based on heroes weren't doomed to fail. But it was Arkham City that proved that this superhero sub-genre could be done much better. With so many things to do and perfectly done boss fights, and not to mention a memorable ending that shook an important part of what made Batman.

5. Mass Effect 2 - Before I get pitchforked, bear with me. I didn't like the endings and the shoddy work they did with them, but I have to back this one due to its improved gameplay, its story, and, in a greater part, the multiplayer, where I spent more than 300 hours killing baddies, including headshotting Cerberus with a Widow, after my Salarian Infiltrator knocks down their shield with Energy Drain, or breezing thru Gold and Platinum difficulties spamming Snap Freeze and Energy Drain with my N7 Paladin, and having fun with my acrobatic N7 Slayer while shooting enemies with my potent Phase Disruptor. It's a very divisive game, but I fell in love with it.

Honorable Mentions:

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Sleeping Dogs
Far Cry 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Grand Theft Auto V
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Okay Reim Time, here I go...

5 classics from the 7th gen:

- Wii Sports
- Mario Galaxy
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Halo 3
- Left 4 Dead 2

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Teeqoz said:

1. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

Like seriously. This game deserves so much more love than it gets. It's friggin amazing.

2. Skyrim
Regardless of what people say about it, this is the sort of game that will still be played in decades, because of it's "reputation" among PC gamers. And also it's great, so there's that.

3. Portal 2
Back when Valve still made games, they made gems like this. It was also the third (huehue) franchise to get the Valve treatment, aka getting two loved main entries, but never getting a third, because Valve doesn't like money.

EDIT:

4. Super Meat Boy

Because.... it's awesome....

How did I forget:

Minecraft. Frikkin Minecraft. Put that at the top of my list, and push everything else down a spot.

Yeah, I wondered about MC too. I was going to say that too, but wasn't sure if it would count...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
Teeqoz said:

How did I forget:

Minecraft. Frikkin Minecraft. Put that at the top of my list, and push everything else down a spot.

Yeah, I wondered about MC too. I was going to say that too, but wasn't sure if it would count...

Minecraft counts

Good lists everyone! Already starting to see some strong runners

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
Cloudman said:

Minecraft counts

Good lists everyone! Already starting to see some strong runners

It feels like Minecraft has been around forever. I forgot about it too. Definitely a classic.
Minecraft probably won't need to be remembered as it will still be around in 20 years ;)

I have a feeling this will, if it hasn't already, quickly dissolve from a "which games will be widely considered the best years in the future" to a "which games I consider best now" contest.

Oh well. Regardless, I'll try to stick to the main formula.

#1 Dark Souls: Certainly not the most popular seventh gen game, but I would argue by far the most influential and most likely to be remembered. Aside from revitalizing the Metroidvania genre and bringing together a huge community wishing for less handholding in video games, arguably its biggest achievement was having multiplayer components while still keeping an immersive single player. People could help each other out through medium of floor message, or alternatively do the exact opposite by invading each other's worlds. Just don't mention the frame rate...

#2: Minecraft: Maybe this one will be "remembered" more than it's loved, but the impact that Minecraft has had on the video game community is impossible to deny. Outside of the people simply playing it, and the way its taken off on the online community, I largely blame it for crafting mechanics in basically every major action adventure game published nowadays.

#3 Bioshock: I'd honestly argue this shouldn't be as widely liked as it is, but it pretty much introduced System Shock gameplay to the console generation and everyone loved it for that, so yeah.

#4 Journey: I feel like Journey's memorableness is fading somewhat quickly, but to be quite honest there isn't a lot that I anticipate will really be remembered as an all time classic, so this may be as good a bet as any. A short, simple, storytelling experience without the need for words, and one that absolutely took the gaming community by storm when it came out.

#5 Wii Sports: Again, one that I sense will be remembered more than loved, but, again, 7th gen doesn't have a ton that I anticipate will be loved widely in ten years time. Wii Sports basically kick started the trend of motion gaming, and turned millions of random people into video game players (at least for a month or so), so I guess it slides into the 5th spot.

Lots of "my favourite games" being listed imo. To be a classic you don't necessarily have to be the best game ever, you need to have caused something.
I'd say minecraft, wii sports, cod 4 are classics as they will be remembered and caused some serious movements in the industry. Hell Id even put forward something like skylanders, look at the toys to life market currently.

I'll say one thing though, plenty of games that gamers will remember as very good games that people are putting in there lists. Last gen was quite good looking back at it.