By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Results are in: Classics from the 7th generation

Blob said:
Lots of "my favourite games" being listed imo. To be a classic you don't necessarily have to be the best game ever, you need to have caused something.
I'd say minecraft, wii sports, cod 4 are classics as they will be remembered and caused some serious movements in the industry. Hell Id even put forward something like skylanders, look at the toys to life market currently.

I'll say one thing though, plenty of games that gamers will remember as very good games that people are putting in there lists. Last gen was quite good looking back at it.

I'm also seeing a lot of favorites listed. This isn't necessarily bad but everyone please remember to back up your choices with good objective arguments; not just how you felt about the game. Why will other people remember it in 10 years?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

1- Super Mario Galaxy
2- Dark Souls
3- Uncharted 2
4- TESV: Skyrim
5- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

ReimTime said:
Roronaa_chan said:
The Last of Us

That's it

Could I get you two to possibly come up with 4 more? thanks

I wish. Blame the 7th gen.

ReimTime said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, I wondered about MC too. I was going to say that too, but wasn't sure if it would count...

Minecraft counts

Good lists everyone! Already starting to see some strong runners

Cool! In that case, can I switch out L4D2 with MC?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

1. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

2. Resident Evil 5

3. Lost Planet

4. Crysis

5. Siren Bloodcurse

Around the Network

#1 Super Mario Galaxy
#2 Xenoblade Chronicles
#3 Skyrim
#4 The Last of Us
#5 Last story

Cloudman said:
ReimTime said:

Minecraft counts

Good lists everyone! Already starting to see some strong runners

Cool! In that case, can I switch out L4D2 with MC?

Sure just edit your post

That goes for everybody; post edits are unlimited until the voting closes; at which point I will count everythin.

Another reminder for everyone: Please at least attempt to explain why the games you picked will be remembered 10 years down the line, when video games will be much more evolved than they are now (VR, 4k standard I hope). Why will we remember these picks?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Skyrim. Can't help more than that.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

#1 Minecraft; Pretty hard to not put it on the list with its huge success and how it has affected the industry (Not necessarily the AAA industry). I think it will be remembered because all kids today grow up with it just like kids used to grow up with Mario. It's accessible and complicated at the same time. While not first of its kind, it's the one that blew up and is still going strong.

#2 Journey; A piece of game art. It's hard to make a game about just walking to a destination. In a way, Journey is as much a walking simulator as Ethan Carter or Everybody's gone to the Rapture (Sure it has some puzzles and collectibles, but they are very seamless). Since Journey, alot more studios try to make games like it, yet not many pull it off. 

#3 Halo 3; To many Halo-fans (and Halo haters) this was the peak of one of gaming's biggest franchises. More of a classic because in all future Halo titles, there will be people who claims it all went downhill from 3. Adding to that, Halo 3 had very dynamic battles that made almost every playthrough unique, it had a stellar multiplayer experience, it introduced Forge which made it more than just any standard FPS. Suddenly, it could be a racing game, a football game (or Quidditch in Reach). 

#4 Alan Wake; The story is probably why I believe it to be a classic more than the gameplay itself. Everything and everyone has a place in Alan Wake, characters have character, there are unforgetable moments that I do not wish to spoil, the antagonist is a bit Lovecraftian in nature, the collectibles are pages of a book that is the story of the game and lastly is using the light as a weapon, it did get a little stale in the end but it was different and stick with you. There aren't alot of games where you use a flashlight to lower someones defenses.

#5 Mass Effect 2; The definite peak of the Mass Effect Trilogy where almost everything had a consequence the rippled through the galaxy. Characters were flawless (For the most part), dialogue was top notch (even if it was delivered a little meh), good villain/villains. A perfect game to discuss playthroughs with friends.

BraLoD said:
For people who say Dark Souls instead of Demon's Souls: I despise you! XP

Well, Dark Souls is the more known of the two :P
Maybe it's because I was more into 360 but when I think of From Software, I think of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If I think long enough, I might think of Demon's Souls.