By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Rumour) Rise of the Tomb Raider sells less than 200k in November (U.S.)

AsGryffynn said:
walsufnir said:

And this matters how exactly? I have given proof in this thread that Sony opened their pockets for TR in the 90's. What you see or saw is not of any matter here.

I didn't say otherwise, just that it didn't look that way... I always thought the games were also on PC, even if they really weren't...

?? The games were on PC but as also nowadays, Sony doesn't see a direct competition in PC for consoles so they made TR a console exclusive and that is what I wrote.

Around the Network

This game will easily hit over 1 million before Christmas. Digital sales will also make up a portion of this games revenue as Digital sales are much higher this gen. I also believe that Xbox owners had so many games release in a short period of time that after a couple of pay checks they will be picking up more games. So this game and many others will have massive legs.

Launch of this game is what did it in, Not really anything else and Xbox One has a mega-ton of games splitting up money spent on games, not including 3rd party AAA games.

I will also add that NeoGaf is constantly wrong, Rumours from them should be taken as lightly as possible, unless you have an agenda, which most of this site does.

DJEVOLVE said:

This game will easily hit over 1 million before Christmas. Digital sales will also make up a portion of this games revenue as Digital sales are much higher this gen. I also believe that Xbox owners had so many games release in a short period of time that after a couple of pay checks they will be picking up more games. So this game and many others will have massive legs.

Launch of this game is what did it in, Not really anything else and Xbox One has a mega-ton of games splitting up money spent on games, not including 3rd party AAA games.

I will also add that NeoGaf is constantly wrong, Rumours from them should be taken as lightly as possible, unless you have an agenda, which most of this site does.

Legs are a factor of momentum and replayability. That being said, without good momentum (this is not good momentum) the sales rate will stay low and decrease. Good word of mouth or the fact that paychecks will come in aren't significant enough in that regard. It's more than likely, that gamers will play games they already had or buy new ones, not older ones.

To build momentum/sales rate more awareness will need to be raised, it will need bundling and advertising. Without these, legs are worthless and it would be lucky to hit 500k US

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

walsufnir said:
AsGryffynn said:

I didn't say otherwise, just that it didn't look that way... I always thought the games were also on PC, even if they really weren't...

?? The games were on PC but as also nowadays, Sony doesn't see a direct competition in PC for consoles so they made TR a console exclusive and that is what I wrote.

Yeah, it's just that back then, we didn't really call them "console exclusives" and they were multiplat to us...

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DJEVOLVE said:

This game will easilyas lightly as possible, unless you have an agenda, which most of this site does.

Legs are a factor of momentum and replayability. That being said, without good momentum (this is not good momentum) the sales rate will stay low and decrease. Good word of mouth or the fact that paychecks will come in aren't significant enough in that regard. It's more than likely, that gamers will play games they already had or buy new ones, not older ones.

To build momentum/sales rate more awareness will need to be raised, it will need bundling and advertising. Without these, legs are worthless and it would be lucky to hit 500k US

Will I sound like a fanboy if I say I am noticing that XONE games are leggier than their seventh gen counterparts. Gears was released a while back, but it's still selling a lot. I feel that we'll no longer see huge opening games in our console. If anything, we're going to see the games sell out over the life cycle of the console...

Jayward said:
The launch window was a huge factor with so many big titles released this holiday. Fallout 4 especially affected it big time in my opinion. I know for sure now that the reason Sony delayed Uncharted 4 was to avoid possible low sales and maximize on the spring 2016 smaller line up. Of course they're gonna say it was to polish the game but I believe the move was very strategic.

I'd agree with (something like) this, since the game is IMO much better than it's sales indicate.

CU......or CF ?

Around the Network
JamesGoblin said:
Jayward said:
The launch window was a huge factor with so many big titles released this holiday. Fallout 4 especially affected it big time in my opinion. I know for sure now that the reason Sony delayed Uncharted 4 was to avoid possible low sales and maximize on the spring 2016 smaller line up. Of course they're gonna say it was to polish the game but I believe the move was very strategic.

I'd agree with (something like) this, since the game is IMO much better than it's sales indicate.

At this point it should be common knowledge that Fallout 4 killed RotTR...

AsGryffynn said:
JamesGoblin said:
Jayward said:

At this point it should be common knowledge that Fallout 4 killed RotTR...

Quite possible, I'm not that well informed about market, sales and all that.

CU......or CF ?

AsGryffynn said:
walsufnir said:

Will I sound like a fanboy if I say I am noticing that XONE games are leggier than their seventh gen counterparts. Gears was released a while back, but it's still selling a lot. I feel that we'll no longer see huge opening games in our console. If anything, we're going to see the games sell out over the life cycle of the console...

Not all. Although the trend is more likely attributed to the genre rather than platform, the only benefit of the platform would be the higher attach rate on Xbox. The game's initial momentum will affect its lasting momentum (legs) and as time goes on sales rate only decreases. In order to increase sales rate, active steps must be taken. Actual deals instead of just price cuts, bundurus, etc. 

Another factor is digital distribution which encourages more purchases than rebuys. That gives every game this generation more legs.

That being said again I reiterate, legs won't and don't matter unless the sales rate is high enough to capatalize on it, and the same factors that contribute to legs are distinct from those that contribute to sales rate.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

walsufnir said:

So many maybes, yet they still bought it.

That's not the reason the brand is synonymous with Playstation though is it? Given the Playstation's dominance at that point it was just a formality really.

Throwing money at a franchise doesn't make it synonymous to that platform, as the OP clearly shows.

brendude13 said:
walsufnir said:

So many maybes, yet they still bought it.

That's not the reason the brand is synonymous with Playstation though is it? Given the Playstation's dominance at that point it was just a formality really.

Throwing money at a franchise doesn't make it synonymous to that platform, as the OP clearly shows.

Correlation, dependency, causality, hard to tell. But somehow Sony thought the deal might be worth it. We don't know what would've happened otherwise.