By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's with the hate for turn based RPGs?

Hynad said:

Really, how so?

If you want to talk about the coating, then yeah, it gets a little embarassing compared to FF X.  But my guess is that you didn't separate "best battle system" with "best characters", "best look", "most compelling story" or some other superficiality like that. The mechanics and pace of FF X-2's battle system are excellent, especially compared to FF X. It simply has one of the best implementation of the job system in any of the series entries. 

I agree with you, ignore the j-pop cheese fest it is, FFX-2 has one of the better battle systems in FF games. It's free moving and quick with loads of customisation. 

Player2 said:

Because nobody plays Pokemon for the story. That's not the case of Final Fantasy. Guess what happens when how the game plays isn't the #1 reason to like it for a decently sized group of fans.

They don't buy it? Yet you've said they do. What do these fans care about how the game plays if they are already buying it regardless. I can understand why they want it changed but they are already buying it and putting up with the gameplay. Why should the entire FF series change to meet their needs?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I like turn based but ffvii had poor combat from what i played. It needed completely redoing regardless if it's turn based or not.

Everytime I see someone dissing turnbased, I wanna yell out at them, but... why even bother.
Seems to be a big vocal crowd that dont like turn based.

Personally I prefer it, to more or less any action rpg combat system.
I like some half and half systems, like Xenoblade. I feel like thats the right way to do a action rpg.

I don't remember anyone saying they hate turn based combat. I think people are more upset about FF7 being adapted to modern times vs staying true to the original material. I don't think it's like how you think o: Turn based is just fine and still well liked.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

People ridicule turn based RPGs because they generally aren't very popular anymore. A lot of people also don't realize that turn based RPGs are a product of the technical limitations of platforms rather than genuine design decisions.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I don't ridicule turn based rpg's. However, turn based rpg's are the reason why I don't like rpg's. I thought they were all turn based. I was wrong.....

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

People like turn based system. FFvii's gameplay is really bad thought

Simply put, turn-based RPGs and action-based RPGs are two distinct genres. Some people don't want to think what their character does, but just play. Others like the idea of thinking about their options and choose wisely. For both genres are good and bad examples.

I personally like turn-based more, although I still like some action-based games like Xenoblade. But I also like board-games.

I think turn-based puts the focus away from quick reactions to more deep systems of fighting. And this offfers some truly different styles. Look how differently turn-based RPGs can be solved by the examples of Child of Light, Bravely Default, SMT IV, Pokemon or Fire Emblem. This diversity is also very cool.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

outlawauron said:
People ridicule turn based RPGs because they generally aren't very popular anymore. A lot of people also don't realize that turn based RPGs are a product of the technical limitations of platforms rather than genuine design decisions.

The thing is theres plenty of people that prefer that "game design" wether game devs came by it freely or forced upon them.

** And this is one of those things that gets spammed alot

(people dont realise my arse, how many times have I seen this line resently?).

"turn based isnt liked by anyone, its old and a by producted of times where they where forced due to technical limitations bla bla bla".

Haters gonna hate :p

JRPGfan said:
outlawauron said:

The thing is theres plenty of people that prefer that "game design" wether game devs came by it freely or forced upon them.

** And this is one of those things that gets spammed alot

(people dont realise my arse, how many times have I seen this line resently?).

"turn based isnt liked by anyone, its old and a by producted of times where they where forced due to technical limitations bla bla bla".

Haters gonna hate :p

The opening post of the "What do you think about FFVII:R's battle system?" thread is a perfect example of this attitude

Azuren said:

I personally love it. If they had kept the old ATB, it would be a modern gaming joke. The only reason AAA games in the past could get away with it was because they were focused on the cinematic effects of the game. In an age where that's standard, they have to actually be modernized in what is considered good combat- not turn by turn.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7649733

Signature goes here!