By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's with the hate for turn based RPGs?

Azuren said:
Hynad said:

Fixed that for you. ^_-

I'll also give Lost Odyssey a nod.

You didn't fix it, you embarrassed it. 

Really, how so?

If you want to talk about the coating, then yeah, it gets a little embarassing compared to FF X.  But my guess is that you didn't separate "best battle system" with "best characters", "best look", "most compelling story" or some other superficiality like that. The mechanics and pace of FF X-2's battle system are excellent, especially compared to FF X. It simply has one of the best implementation of the job system in any of the series entries. 

Around the Network
The Fury said:

I was literally just wondering this myself and thinking about starting a thread asking people why they think turn based is outdated. I cannot understand why they think it is as it's a basic gameplay mechanic and gameplay mechanics don't go out of date. How can they? Serious question.

It strange as in no other game genre (not RPG) do people complain about such a thing. No one complains Street Fighter is still stuck on a 2D plane and hit the other person 'til dead. No one complains some platformers are still just run and jump. These are basic gameplay mechanics and can't go out of date.

Maybe it's Final Fantasy, no one complains Pokemon is turn based (seriously, pokemon ruins people's arguments), yet what confuses me is why people seem to not want a ATB FF when that is all it has EVER been (pretty much). Why are you interested in a game series at all and want them to change their basic gameplay mechanic in order for you to buy it? Go play something else that does fit the criteria you want.

I wonder if people just don't understand how the ATB or tactical turn based RPGs work. Chess is the best and one of the oldest games ever created, no one is updating it to be more action orientated.

Because nobody plays Pokemon for the story. That's not the case of Final Fantasy. Guess what happens when how the game plays isn't the #1 reason to like it for a decently sized group of fans.

As a general rule, turn-based rpgs are more cerebral. It's not just the action at hand when a command is executed. It's more so what are your options, what options do you choose, how does your action effect the actions of your teammates, what are the results of the over all actions of your teammates on the enemy. So from a superficial POV, turned-based rpgs might look stupid. That's because the person thinking it's stupid is stupid. Or impatient to say the least, not willing to understand the system before passing judgement. And turn-based gameplay isn't outdated by any mean. It just isn't as marketable to a sea of mind-numbing masses.

greencactaur said:
Turn based is fine. the problem is they don't keep it fast paced. Look at bravely default, and how great that turn based is :D.
Anyone who spent more then 5 minutes on any fight in a turn based game didn't understand how to properly play it. I read people who played FFX who said some fights took them an hour, and if thats the case, they didn't understand how to properly play the game.

I have one thing to say to you. Yaizimat. 

To OP; there is nothing wrong with turn based, just that it simply doesn't justify the immence production costs that go into games these days. So now we see turn based in lower budgeted games. 

When a company is spending $50M+ to make a game, selling to as large an audience as possible becomes more important than scratching that itch for a specific combat system. 

Personally, I don't mind the shift. For my turn based fix I have games like child of light or the upcoming zodiac thingy. If FF wants to go in a new direction, I have no problem with it. however, even when all we had was turn based combat, I really hated that get in the zone thing. I felt the disconnect from the game world was just too much. Probably why FF12 and FFtactics are my personal best FF games. even if the story in FF12 totally lacked depth. 

manuel said:
I have no idea. I personally love turn-based combat, and I'm playing far less RPGs now that in the past because there aren't so many turn-based RPGs any more.

Check out the VITA and 3DS.

Around the Network

They probably look slow these days, and the gameplay can looked dumbed down compared to modern games, I guess.

I never had a problem with turn based RPGs, and I will gladly play them, as I think it's still an enjoyable genre.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Only kids these days who grow up on CoD and other western action games hate turn-based. I myself prefer turn-based RPGs because they allow me to control my party members and their actions, because in most ARPGs party AI is just terrible and that's what puts me off from them. ARPGs better works for RPGs where you play with one character.

I still like turn based combat, but I'll admit, I think Tales Of games and Star ocean which are very similar do the best RPG combat, I like the transition to a battle screen and then you have control over your character and are able to switch between members if you want but it isn't needed. I like how you can set how the others work, IE healer heals anybody with 50% health. I love how they interact during battles like talking to each other or linking up for moves. Thennatvthe end of the combat there will be some light hearted celebration and all the experience stats gained.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

I have NO IDEA!
Games like Pokemon, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem (the ones i played) really executes the whole turn-based system well.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Thank you XanderXT for doing my job for me. I was about to make a thread defending turn-based combat with the recent surge of people looking down on turned-based combat in FFVII:R threads.

To me saying turn-based combat is a thing of the past is as ridiculous as saying 2D platforming is outdated because 3D platformers exist.

Signature goes here!