By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's with the hate for turn based RPGs?

I have no idea. I personally love turn-based combat, and I'm playing far less RPGs now that in the past because there aren't so many turn-based RPGs any more.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network

I love turn-based RPG's. I actually prefer them over real-time. But my favorite is the hybrid solution of games like Baldur's Gate; it gives complete control over combat and allows you to decide the flow of battle.

Turn based is not outdated,it's a genre of it's own,and i like it,as much as i like other types of games.

FFVII had amazing turn-base, and Crisis Core FFVII had more action base.  I love them both and would've been down for any format. There shouldn't be hate as it's all part of the wonderful world of RPG.  

But there'll always be people that complain. Can't satisfy them all.

I dont think theres any hate towards turn based, its just that Action appeal to a broader audience so turn based slowlly faded and is now found only on niche titles.

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
I dont think theres any hate towards turn based, its just that Action appeal to a broader audience so turn based slolly faded and is now found only on niche titles.

Niche? Most JRPGs are still turned based.

Mummelmann said:
I love turn-based RPG's. I actually prefer them over real-time. But my favorite is the hybrid solution of games like Baldur's Gate; it gives complete control over combat and allows you to decide the flow of battle.

Yeah, that's pretty good system, though even with all the customizable pause flags I don't feel as much in control wih larger party and bigger area as in proper turned base...like say in Jagged Alliance 2, where there are interrupts to alleviate one-sidedness of usual turned-based systems.

Looking forward to see what inXile did with Numenera, one of the best things (IMO) was going turned-based.

Best turn based system was last remnant imo. I like both styles

People don't want to think, they want to hack away.

Hynad said:
m0ney said:
Final Fantasy X-2 has the best combat system.

Fixed that for you. ^_-

I'll also give Lost Odyssey a nod.

You didn't fix it, you embarrassed it. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames