By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales could imply

Teedy said:
Dark_Feanor said:
The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

As far as we know MS save the sequal. Who lost money we might never know.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

No they did not publish the game.Check the credits and stip saying that BS.MS did not save anything as the game was already announced and in the making for PS4/PC and developers working on it had Twitter posts of those platforms and took them down after MS money hatted the game.

Anyway.This is what Square deserves.UC4 will be a much better game and has taken the majority of TR fans.I will get it on PS+ which should not be long after release, but I will not spend a penny on this delayed game. There are too many more interesting games releasing next year on PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-09-square-enix-confirms-microsoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Around the Network

I sampled the first three back in the day. It never left me a good impression so the series never did anything for me, and I never cared for it since. So why am I here...?

If Sony thinks they can really profit from this game, they really have to give gamers an incentive to invest in a to-be one year old title amongst a sea of anticipated competition by the last quarter of 2016. And it really wasn't Sony's problem to begin with. It was SE's dumb-dumb deal with Microsoft that put the franchise in its potential state. So if a good game gets poor future development support due to poor sales, blame that on the developer in this particular case. Then again, maybe Tomb raider did so bad on the Xbox One because it's going to do excellent on the PS4. For some, this could be poetic irony.

Dark_Feanor said:
The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

But Tomb Raider made it in time for the Holiday release.  From a business point of view is didn't do them much good.

Dude... its Tomb raider! Theres zero chance they won't make anymore sequals. Rise didnt sell well cause Bethesda went and spoiled the party with Fallout 4. I'm sure it will sell at least a million week one on the PS4.

I don't want them to make one though. The Legacy of Kain series needs new entries.

Bad choice for a release date. This game would have to sell like 4 mill to break even. 600k XB1 lifetime, re-release on PS4 might be 1-1.5 million. Combined we looking at 2 million lifetime across 2 consoles.
Expect layoffs at Crystal Dynamics after PS4 version is finished.

And it's a damn shame, TR was on the way back and its own creators had to go fuck it up.....
Fucking shame.

Around the Network

Just like Alan Wake, dysmal timing is what killed the sales.

The ps4 fan Base cartainly may save it, but not if it releases in the same window. It has to release in October at the latest.

A lot of multiplatform games that sell more than double on the ps4 are the ones which have some sort of exclusivity thing going on or have a massive heritage on the Sony platform. 

So Rise certainly has "heritage" going for it and maybe Sony can include a 1080p remaster of the first tomb raider on psx. 

Dark_Feanor said:

I see this posted all the time and at this point I've lost all hope that this misinformation will stop spreading. Yes, after a month they said they weren't happy with sales but their later statements are clear: the game did not only sell well, but exceeded expectations. Their words, not mine. So the sequel was in no way at risk.

As for MS paying SE/CD for the sequel, we have no idea how much money they gave them. This was a terrible decision unless they paid them more than the entire game cost. Because people seem to forget how this stupid deal will hurt the franchise in the years to come and not just Rise of the Tomb Raider. I had no interest in the game in the first place, but even if I did, after this move there's no way I'd buy a new copy for ps4 (only used) or the next TB game.

Nem said:

Dude... its Tomb raider! Theres zero chance they won't make anymore sequals. Rise didnt sell well cause Bethesda went and spoiled the party with Fallout 4. I'm sure it will sell at least a million week one on the PS4.

I don't want them to make one though. The Legacy of Kain series needs new entries.

I mean, Ono said they couldn't make a new SF, and then said they could make it, but it would take forever. Everyone that got pissed at Capcom were like "of course they'd make another SF! It's their bread and butter".....even after Ono said it would be tough to do. And Capcom hasn't been so hot lately, financially. 

So, it's not as simple "there's zero chance they won't make any more sequels". Especially considering they didn't make a a profit on TR2013 until it sold 6 million. Also, Tomb Raider isn't really a "Square Enix franchise" (simply an acquired franchise from a studio they purchased), so they could abandon it if they wanted, sell off the IP, and not think twice about it.  

foodfather said:

Just like Alan Wake, dysmal timing is what killed the sales.

The ps4 fan Base cartainly may save it, but not if it releases in the same window. It has to release in October at the latest.

A lot of multiplatform games that sell more than double on the ps4 are the ones which have some sort of exclusivity thing going on or have a massive heritage on the Sony platform. 

So Rise certainly has "heritage" going for it and maybe Sony can include a 1080p remaster of the first tomb raider on psx. 

Sony or SE would have to really sweeten the deal... because to achieve 4:1 (2:1 was when userbase was similar) on a year older port they will need good bonuses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

naruball said:
Dark_Feanor said:

I see this posted all the time and at this point I've lost all hope that this misinformation will stop spreading. Yes, after a month they said they weren't happy with sales but their later statements are clear: the game did not only sell well, but exceeded expectations. Their words, not mine. So the sequel was in no way at risk.

As for MS paying SE/CD for the sequel, we have no idea how much money they gave them. This was a terrible decision unless they paid them more than the entire game cost. Because people seem to forget how this stupid deal will hurt the franchise in the years to come and not just Rise of the Tomb Raider. I had no interest in the game in the first place, but even if I did, after this move there's no way I'd buy a new copy for ps4 (only used) or the next TB game.

I could almost swear they said it wasn't profitable until the Definitive Edition.  I must research this....