By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales could imply

Maybe they can save if they make a ps3 port as well

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
For those of you that eventually buy it on PS4/PC, I promise you, you will thoroughly enjoy it! One of the better games of 2015, for me.....easily!

Yet 2015 was a rather weak year, the question is will it hold up in 2017 :) You know, after Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero dawn.
They better price it right and be more thoughtful of the release date or it will only be digging itself a deeper hole.

I will buy a traded one instead of new to show my middle finger to SE for making a stupid decision

Arkaign said:
alabtrosMyster said:

I wonder who won in this deal? Does square have some sales preditction and ms compensate them for the "loss" ? What does it say of the xbox gamers who are the only ones who can play the game and they skip it? Only COD deals work on this platform? What will happen of scalebound (i am personally not interested, but it does gather some good amount of hype)

I don't think there are any winners.

MS loses as they paid for temporary exclusivity that didn't pay off (in no small way due to mismanagement of the release against ludicrous competition in the release window)

SE loses, as it's extremely unlikely that MS paid more than their original estimates for lost sales. Nobody could have foreseen the title selling THIS badly.

CD loses, as the title they worked hard on got basically buried before it even had a chance. In many cases there are bonuses to the dev house when a title sells well, and there is no chance of that now.

etc.

And how exactly do you know what MS expected from the exclusivity? Do you have any insight on their projections or goals? No?

How about they did not expect the game to sell 5 million copies in 2 weeks but rather they just tried to improve their christmas lineup with a good title (for ppl who don't care about Halo) to stand a chance against the PS4-sales force? I actually think it is stupid to honestly believe that MS thought that TR would suddenly become what Halo or Gears were for the Xbox/360. It was more likely just one part in their marketing plan.

I'm pretty sure they have more insight on the TR 2013 sales (which it will definately reach in time, especially since digital sales will be much higher nowadays than they were 2013. Over here the TR-XOne Bundle has been by far the best selling XOne console version since its release ) and it is quite unlikely that they expected it to exceed these by a lot.

And I doubt that you have any insight on the number of people who might have purchased an xbox one (which is MS main goal, they couldn't care less about the games sales) this christmas, because TR was the title that pushed them over the edge. I can tell you that I bought an xbox one (granted, for 120 € off bc of an insane gamerscore offer from MS & Amazon prior to christmas) on top of my main console, the PS4 ... and I would not have bought it at that point if not for Tomb Raider - which I bought as a used steelbook edition, so it won't even show up in the sales (my PS4 version in 2016 will however). I think Microsoft won't cry over that.

As for SE, how do you want to know if they game flops on the PC/PS4 (or if it flopped on the XO? It's not like the 2013 game sold 10 million copies on the 360) ? How do you know they game would even exist if MS did not drop a couple millions on the project?

The game is amazing and it will still be amazing in 2016, nothing will change that. And the majority of people buying games are not butthurt hardcore internet users who will boycott the game bc of some stupid reason ... they are your average people who will go to the store and look for some good games - which TR will be for PS4, probably even better. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the game won't sell well on the PS4. We won't suddenly see a huge technical explosion which makes the presentation subpar and the gameplay is top notch and won't just suddenly become crap bc of Uncharted.  Uncharted 4 might even help the TR sales, because it might give people more appetite for similar games (which TR is obviously) ... and most ppl will be able to afford both over 6 months.

MS knows the PS4 will continue to sell on its own and they know that they will have to put out 2-3 (somewhat) exclusive games for each holiday to at least have a chance to survive in sales. I doubt they expect most of their "exclusives" right now to be system sellers on their own. They lost with their pre-generation mistakes they have to make these investements to stay at least alive.

And yeah the thread is old but the topic itself isnt.

^^

VanceIX said:
Can people please stop acting like it's the end of the world now?

Schreckofant said:

people with this mindset are the reason this industry is ging to shit. A loyal consumer base doesn't mean anything anymore and frankly people have accepted it.

Why are people upset? Because TR is a LONG (!) living franchise, that has always been on Playstation and PC. Tomb Raider 1 came out almost 2 decades ago (guess what, for PS1 and PC) and has always been multiplat. People never thought that a franchise like this could turn exclusive, never. Why would they? I think something like that has never happened to any other comparable franchise. So people who bought a PS4 or a better PC were probably fully expecting to get a TR sequel because there was absolutely no indication of it not going to happen, or only happening with a delay.

If this would become the norm basically every third party game could sudenly turn into an (timed) exclusive at any point as soon as a big company turns up with money in their hand. It is insulting to the user base and i cross my fingers that it is going to backfire, so that shit like that NEVER becomes the norm. Oh, you're waiting for CoD, BF4 or FIFA? Guess what, Sony payed us a ton of money and FIFA sold better on PS anyway, so screw you xbox players.

And it is obvious, that the game was originally planned as a multiplat title, otherwise they would have announced the deal right at E3, and not at the GC . So they were probably in talks with MS at that point, but nothing was finalized. S it is not comparable to Bayonetta 2 ... And I really don't understand why MS would actually go for TR. Do they really think people would drop Uncharted to get their hands on TR?

And if the timed exclusiveness is too long the game will sell like crap on PC/PS4 either way, because people feel as if they are buying an "old" game and maybe watched the shit out of let's plays already - which is enough for a lot of dudes.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188410&page=8#3

??

lol

Around the Network

Bad release date and poor decision to make it X1 exclusive. Had this been a new IP for X1 by CD I would be all for it. However with most of the fanbase on PS4, this game was already at a HUGE disadvantage. To top things off, some of the PS4 fanbase may boycott the game out of "principal" and pass on it all together showing more interest in actual 2016 titles. Throw in a release side by side with Fallout 4 and Lara's fate is sealed.

For what it is worth, I bought RotTR on X1 myself and feel the same way you do about the game. However many, including myself, saw this coming a mile away. The X1 is just a bad place for any type of 3rd party exclusive wether it is timed or not. Sunset Overdrive met a similar fate and that too was a fantastic game. It is a shame but thats the way it is.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261