By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales could imply

I will rent it in PS4. Got original on PS3. But since they made their poor decision I will vote with my wallet.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
We are witnessing the death of a franchise. It is a unique death. It has nothing to with the game and everything to do with busines.

Nailed it.

I do hope PS4 fans will still buy it when the time comes. It deserves better sales for all the effort that was put into it.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

The developers really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Firstly they announced the game and then tell people later on that it's Xbox One exclusive which seems odd considering that the Xbox One version of Tomb Raider 2013 sold less than 400k and sold more than 1 million on the PS4 version.

Next they decide to release the game on the same day as Fallout 4 which is a huge multi platform game and would be hard to argue that it did not overshadow the Tomb Raider release.

From what I have heard the game is great and it's a real shame it has failed to get the numbers it deserves and I hope that when the PS4 release comes around it will get it's due.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

I was listening to the "Kinda Funny Podcast" and they had an Xbox executive (I can't remember his name sorry) who's job is to oversee the games division at Xbox. Anyway naturally they asked him about the Tomb Raider release date and he defended the decision saying like "If we released a week earlier, we're releasing against COD. A week later and it's Battlefront. So we kind've had no choice and so we decided to release with Fallout."

The thing I don't understand is the lack of foresight in getting into that situation in the first place. Like if I was the boss of Xbox I'd want heads to roll for what appears to be such a clear bad decision that has lost Microsoft tens of millions of dollars. I understand that Fallout kind've came out of nowhere and they probably had that week locked in way in advance, but then you adapt and change your plans. Surely they could have done one of those "we have to delay the games 2 months for polish" things and released it in Dec-Jan or Feb. You can't tell me it would've sold worse in those months.

While I'm not jumping with joy at the game's so-far commercial failure and I'm no fanboy of the PS4, I completely hate and resent timed exclusivity for all consoles and I can't help but be sort've pleased that it's not doing that well. I'd intended to buy the game as I somewhat enjoyed the 2013 game but this timed exclusivity BS has just turned me off and I won't be buying it. It's one thing when its a game like the FF7:Remake which will sell it's vast majority on PS4 anyway and is a Playstation game through and through, but Tomb Raider is not an Xbox game through and through. The 2013 game and it's remastered versions sold far better on the Sony platforms and obviously the legacy of the series is entrenched in Playstation (something Square obviously don't care about as they acquired CD out of nowhere). It just annoys me that Xbox throw money suitcases at Titanfall and TR instead of actually using that money to make a new game/franchise. I'm not saying they don't make new games, but make even more! Imagine if Sony had used the money it spent in acquiring Naughtydog all those years ago, instead using it to purchase some meaningless timed window of exclusivity in the past.

Fortune favours the bold.

I wonder who won in this deal? Does square have some sales preditction and ms compensate them for the "loss" ? What does it say of the xbox gamers who are the only ones who can play the game and they skip it? Only COD deals work on this platform? What will happen of scalebound (i am personally not interested, but it does gather some good amount of hype)

Around the Network

It implies that M$ owners only care about sci/military shooters and racing games. And they get a free pass form the media while they attack Nintendo fans for not buying shitty gimped versions of third party games.

If it ends up selling poorly in total when it is released for all intended platforms, it's not PS4 fans' fault. It is Square Enix's for making such a stupid deal that was so harmful to the series.

There are fans who'll spite the devs for selling out to MS early. I know I'm getting to when it releases on PS4 for sure. No way it sells as little on PS4 PS4 as it has on Xbox One.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Amazon is selling it for 39.99 now.

I remember Square Enix saying they were disappointed with Tomb Raider (2013) not selling 5 million copies when it launched. So I have to assume that they are extremely upset but aren't saying anything since MS paid for most of the production and probably told them to Smile and Wave and say that they are happy with it.

In my opinion, it was a mistake on Square's part to go exclusive to one console. Unless they have a definitive edition for PS4 when it launches, I'm afraid it will be a failure and not sure how this will impact the franchise going forward.

"Yes sir, I need a weapon."

Jay W