By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales could imply

d21lewis said:

I watched as previously exclusive Xbox franchises migrated to the PS3 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Planet) and the Playstation crowd was pretty warm...I guess.  I hope they don't make Lara getting sales raped a holiday tradition.  Release it in August or September for the PS4 and toss in all of the DLC to sweeten the pot.  Heck, at this point, I wonder what the motivation is to even release the DLC on Xbox One.  With sales so low, how much could they even stand to make?  

What actully would be a good release time, PS4 line up is huge in 2016.  The will be no good time to release a old port unless its the Complete edition at 29.99 and even then i can see the fanbase shunning it.

Best case scenerio SE were smart enough to write up a good contract and MS will be eating all the failure.  Worst case no Lara 3 dude to this flop.

Around the Network

Doesn't the deal last specifically a year? If so it'll be released in November. Rip again.

d21lewis said:
naruball said:
Dark_Feanor said:
The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

As far as we know MS save the sequal. Who lost money we might never know.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

I see this posted all the time and at this point I've lost all hope that this misinformation will stop spreading. Yes, after a month they said they weren't happy with sales but their later statements are clear: the game did not only sell well, but exceeded expectations. Their words, not mine. So the sequel was in no way at risk.

As for MS paying SE/CD for the sequel, we have no idea how much money they gave them. This was a terrible decision unless they paid them more than the entire game cost. Because people seem to forget how this stupid deal will hurt the franchise in the years to come and not just Rise of the Tomb Raider. I had no interest in the game in the first place, but even if I did, after this move there's no way I'd buy a new copy for ps4 (only used) or the next TB game.

I could almost swear they said it wasn't profitable until the Definitive Edition.  I must research this....

"By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-tomb-raiders-reboot-exceeded-profit-expectations-after-all

I'll get it in 2017 sometime on PS4. Fallout 4 is eating all of my time up, plus i only have a PS4, with no plans to buy an XBOne.

I'm glad it flopped. The timed-exclusivity deal was a spit in the face to loyal Tomb Raider fans who happened to not own an Xbox 1 or 360.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Teedy said:

No they did not publish the game.Check the credits and stip saying that BS.MS did not save anything as the game was already announced and in the making for PS4/PC and developers working on it had Twitter posts of those platforms and took them down after MS money hatted the game.

Anyway.This is what Square deserves.UC4 will be a much better game and has taken the majority of TR fans.I will get it on PS+ which should not be long after release, but I will not spend a penny on this delayed game. There are too many more interesting games releasing next year on PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-09-square-enix-confirms-microsoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Except they did not publish the game.Their name is no where in the credits or on the box. Either this was a lie or Square changed their minds because MS is not listed as the publisher.That link is a year before the game released.Aaron was talking out his ass as usual.

Tomb Raider is a strong game, but releasing then just to capitalize on holidays was foolish. It went up against Collosi. Even multiplat, it was going to get slammed.
This coupled with the fact that ROTR no matter how good it might be, is not the type of game that traditionally has legs. I didn't believe it when some people asserted that it would have legs, cause there isn't evidence to support that.
Rather momentum is more important, and with that being the case this would be the worst time to release cause those bigger games slashed it.

This whole thing reeks of shortsightedness.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

naruball said:
Dark_Feanor said:
The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

As far as we know MS save the sequal. Who lost money we might never know.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

I see this posted all the time and at this point I've lost all hope that this misinformation will stop spreading. Yes, after a month they said they weren't happy with sales but their later statements are clear: the game did not only sell well, but exceeded expectations. Their words, not mine. So the sequel was in no way at risk.

As for MS paying SE/CD for the sequel, we have no idea how much money they gave them. This was a terrible decision unless they paid them more than the entire game cost. Because people seem to forget how this stupid deal will hurt the franchise in the years to come and not just Rise of the Tomb Raider. I had no interest in the game in the first place, but even if I did, after this move there's no way I'd buy a new copy for ps4 (only used) or the next TB game.

May be Microsoft closed the deal at that time. Before the long legs with discounts.

BMaker11 said:
Nem said:

Dude... its Tomb raider! Theres zero chance they won't make anymore sequals. Rise didnt sell well cause Bethesda went and spoiled the party with Fallout 4. I'm sure it will sell at least a million week one on the PS4.

I don't want them to make one though. The Legacy of Kain series needs new entries.

I mean, Ono said they couldn't make a new SF, and then said they could make it, but it would take forever. Everyone that got pissed at Capcom were like "of course they'd make another SF! It's their bread and butter".....even after Ono said it would be tough to do. And Capcom hasn't been so hot lately, financially. 

So, it's not as simple "there's zero chance they won't make any more sequels". Especially considering they didn't make a a profit on TR2013 until it sold 6 million. Also, Tomb Raider isn't really a "Square Enix franchise" (simply an acquired franchise from a studio they purchased), so they could abandon it if they wanted, sell off the IP, and not think twice about it.  

Tomb raider is the biggest Eidos franchise. Its more likely that it keeps getting sequals than Deus Ex and Hitman, and those are still getting them.

The reason why it required 6 million to break even i don't know, but with the microsoft deal i'm sure that isnt the case. Also the tools were already developed, i'm sure the new games doesnt need all those millions to break even. And the 5 or 6 million that keep getting thrown around for the original, i'm sure there is some disinformation going on there.

We are witnessing the death of a franchise. It is a unique death. It has nothing to with the game and everything to do with busines.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.