By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales could imply

If Nixxes fix the high input lag of the XB1 version, I'll buy the game on PS4. Maybe not at full price at launch though.

Around the Network

This game's release was as most have already said, a monumental fuck up in pretty much every category.

I typically won't buy games released for Xbox over Playstation on principle (just the way I am, I was so let down when the decision was made to put Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox I have never bought any of the XIII series) however I'll happily make an exception in this particular case, this game looks good and whether it's £40 or £20-£30 for the PS4 in a year's time I'll pick it up regardless. This game should never have been put on Xbox over Playstation though, I think that's a given. It was outsold by 2-1 in it's second week by the Uncharted Collection on it's 6th/7th week for god's sake.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

Tomb Raider sells well across multiple platforms. Exclusively it is no Uncharted in sales, which Square wants.

The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

As far as we know MS save the sequal. Who lost money we might never know.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

Yes the sales represent a huge problem for a AAA game that probably cost close to $100 million to make and market. The Xbox fanbase did not deliver for Tomb Raider. We can not have a situation where platform holders are funding and absorbing the loses for 3rd party AAA titles.

There is no way that this is profitable for Microsoft and Sony see this too. It should have been multiplat and it should not have been used as a prop for Microsoft's holiday lineup. Let us pray that CD got some of the Microcash because if they depended on sales to get paid... what a disaster.

Around the Network

The problem with TR imo has to do with Xbox One's fan base. People want to argue with me all day about this but I truly believe in the power of demographics and the fact is, Xbox One and PS4 have different ones. PS4 devotees buy their consoles for experiences like TR. Xbox One fans, not so much.

The issues going forward is, with a console that HAS a bunch of TR like experiences (PS4), is there enough room to support it? I really don't know, but my hunch is probably not. If you look at 2016, the lineup for PS4 is just damn ridiculous. It's SO full of single player goodness that really, I don't know how TR stands a chance.

Are there enough die hard TR fans to make a dent? I guess we'll find out.

im glad it flopped (well, we still gotta see USA sales first). pretty much to make publishers think twice before accepting a money hat. im not even going to buy this on PS4.

Well, you can guess what I think of it - I don't give a rats ass on what platform it is, as long as it tanks and make SE re-evaluate how they want to proceed with ruining legacy of original TR.

Until then, I'll happily play Lara Croft GO and similar games, since they are much, much closer to what TR is suppose to be about.

Dark_Feanor said:
The way SE give their sales reports for TR2013 showed they were not happy and the future of the series was at risk. Microsoft paid up front and published the game on the XOne and 360.

As far as we know MS save the sequal. Who lost money we might never know.

For a business point o view, losing the hollydays release would be far worst. They have the game finished, and they need to get ready to move to the next one - either MS or SE banking.

No they did not publish the game.Check the credits and stip saying that BS.MS did not save anything as the game was already announced and in the making for PS4/PC and developers working on it had Twitter posts of those platforms and took them down after MS money hatted the game.

Anyway.This is what Square deserves.UC4 will be a much better game and has taken the majority of TR fans.I will get it on PS+ which should not be long after release, but I will not spend a penny on this delayed game. There are too many more interesting games releasing next year on PS4.

Timing, competition, still lingering bad PR, and I have to say I haven't seen much marketing of it at all. The review scores will save the franchise.

I felt the same about Forza Horizon 2 last year, that only sold about 300k first week as well. Outstanding game, best on X1 IMO, but hey...

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One