By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Selling Console Does Not Equal Best Console.

This thread is gonna be interesting so lets spice it up.
I disagree in most cases the best selling console is the best console that gen.

Around the Network

Best selling console does infact equate to best console.
Wii is not the rule but the exception, because despite it's huge install base it failed to attract all major 3rd parties.

Um... no duh?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

This reeks of insecurity...

The one that you have the most fun with = the best. What else is there to say? Sigh.

It can also change during a gen. I went from TG16 to Genesis to SNES as favorite during 3rd gen, just due to the games available at the time. It didn't mean I stopped liking the previous system, just that I had more great titles to play on each system along the way.

Around the Network

Somebody call the waaahmbulance. The ps4 just like all Sony platforms has a diverse 1st and 2nd party lineup (3rd helps) throughout an ENTIRE console generation and has always maintained a core gamer appeal, although in the ps2 era it did have mass market due to DVD and backwards compatability being new. The Wii went after the blue ocean with only super Mario Galaxy and Zelda being great games. The rest was about selling to aunties and grandma's wanting to be fit. I KNEW and predicted to all my friends that the Wii u was going to be a big flop. Funny how Sony's "flop" ends up selling more than almost every Nintendo and Xbox set of consoles on existence. Luckily on the "flop" console, the Uncharted series was born along with The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, 2 Yakuza games, among many other diverse greats.

The PS4 like all other PS consoles have had a slightly slow start with still, some excellent games while some misses here and there (I still enjoyed the order, but no Co op was missed opportunity). Second Son along with the Fetch expansion I thoroughly enjoyed, as well as Bloodborne, Resogun, 3rd party love with bo3, and batman, etc. My backlog between vita, ps2,3 and 4 is immense. Back OT, this seems like a thread full of tears. I won't knock anyone who enjoys splatoon (played but thought it was meh), or Halo 5 (miss Bungie's touch), but to discredit Sony when they put out quality despite risks??? If Sony were Nintendo or M$, we would see the 10th crash game, the 8th jak and daxter, and the 8th sly cooper game. Instead, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, Ni No Kuni, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, LBP, Starhawk/Warhawk were all born. This is why I applaud M$ for trying to expand with Recore, Quantum Break, and even Rise. Outside of Splatoon and the semi new Pikmin, where has Nintendo gone?? Yes, the best selling console has good reason to argue being the best while the Wii cannot.
P.S. wait for the next Pokémon game to boost the Wii u. Back to the drawing board and hoping NX can bring back some aspects which made the Gamecube great despite lack of sales. Apologies if anyone is offended by real talk.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

True, but the less selling consoles generally (not always true) have less value to the consumer than ones that sell less. Off the top of my head the Wii is the only top selling system that the majority of gamers would not say was the best system of a generation.

PS1 and PS2 are pretty much the indisputable "best system" of their gens. Last gen any of the big 3 are a valid choice, same for this gen (so far)

My team of choice is the Jacksonville Jaguars. That doesn't mean they're the best team in the NFL.

My team of choice is Huddersfield Town. That doesn't mean they're the best football team in England.

I could go on.

...well, no shit? The 'best' console is subjective and varies from person to person. It's up to personal taste which console is best. For me, I'm not even sure which console I prefer this gen XD All the games that'll decide that are still not coming till 2016-2017 for me.

For handhelds I love the 3DS/Vita equally

Obligatory Ouya is the best console confirmed comment.