By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Selling Console Does Not Equal Best Console.

Glad you finally got that outta your system.

Now go buy a PS4

Around the Network

That's a given at this point I guess!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

aLkaLiNE said:
To those that argue that sales do reflect on which console is best that gen, I find it highly offensive they you couldn't include the Wii in that argument.

I suppose I'll give it a shot, sorta. o.o

Obviously, none of the devices  are objectively superior across the board, as all have their strengths and weaknesses, and so when talking about 'Best,' it's always going to vary depending on who is making the argument. In a debate on which is best, a lot of the reasons tossed out are going to fall flat because of subjective opinion. Just look at 'List Wars' whenever exclusives get brought up. Some don't want to bring up indies, some don't want to bring up Japanese titles, some don't want to bring up games also found on PC or last gen, etc, etc, and often that's because, to that person, those titles just aren't interesting, or in the case of PC titles, they wouldn't need the console to play them anyway. (Admittedly sometimes it's for spin too. =P )

So in a situation where 'Overall Best' is being brought up, all that can really be argued is which console is subjectively preferable to the greatest number of people... but since we can't exactly run a census, it gets boiled down to sales, usually with the expectation that both sides will have instances of buyer's remorse, multiple console ownership, etc. Heck, in theory anyone who buys one of the consoles and REALLY experiences buyer's remorse ("Oh God, I made such a mistake!") will eventually expand to multiple platforms, or even just sell their first choice and replace it with something else.

Which brings us to the Wii; put simply, for a variety of reasons, it was the superior choice to the greatest number of people. The hair spliting really comes into play when looking into reasons a consumer actually purchased the product, i.e. what their needs were. Those who are interested in core first party titles and franchises (Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario, etc,) are more likely to stick around for the Wii U, whereas those who are seeking more of a one-off purpose- a DVD player in the case of the PS2, a family friendly game box in the case of the Wii- aren't going to line up to buy future iterations. Honestly, even if Sony hadn't screwed the pooch in Year One, I don't think the PS3 would have gotten close to the PS2's sales, unless Blu-Ray player appeal was giving it a similar boost. =P

TL;DR. The Wii was the best console for the greatest number of people. And (so far, anyway,) it would seem that the PS4 is the best console for the greatest number of people. ^_^ Trying to determine 'the objective best' beyond that is just silly, as there is no such thing.

Although worth noting that, given what I remember of Jega's previous threads and arguments, I don't think he's necessarily making the 'subjectivity is key' argument. I think he's still determined that the Xbox One is objectively superior, (he seemed to base prior claims of the Xbox One 'catching up' in sales on the idea that the Xbox One was simply better, period, objectively,) and is therefore trying to insist that it's still 'the best' despite not gaining as much sales traction. =P

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Its nearly 2016 for god's sakes.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

SpokenTruth said:
Fei-Hung said:

Or Mace on the N64?

I was blown way they recreated the arcade experience of that game on N64 so well.

Didn't realise Mace was on arcades. I loved the game to bits but never got to complete it. The final boss was a biznitch and a half. Similar to Eternal Champions and Eternal Champions CD. In fact I think EC was more difficult as losing on any stage would send you back a stage. Even on easy difficulty, I never made it to the boss!

Around the Network

2016 is when the PS4 spreads its wings with software. The amount of exclusive software coming out of Japan is right up my alley.

I've accepted that after Xenoblade and Zelda my Wii U is a dust collector.

Jega said:

Wasn't the Wii the best selling console last generation.

A best selling console can have a variety of variables. Price, launch date, adoption, etc.

............and finally the best selling console is not always the most powerful, again I use the Wii as an example.

My Console of choice is Xbox One. You choose what you like.

Just food for thought.

This time I'll respond in earnest instead of make a parody thread.

More food for thought.

Your Console of Choice Does Not Equal Best Console. What you like is irrelevant.

Best selling Console is Best selling Console.

Most Powerful Console is Most Powerful Console.

Least Powerful Console is Least Powerful Console.

Most Powerful Console is also not the Least Powerful Console, unless all Consoles are equal in power, or their is only one Console.

The variables that make up what a Best Selling Console is, doesn't change the fact that it IS the Best Selling Console.

The Wii was the Best Selling Console last generation. That was because it sold the best.

Best Console is the Best Console. And that is the Console that is the Best.

Best means that it is better than the rest, ergo Better + Rest = Best.

Hence Best Console is Better than the Rest of the Consoles.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

cool thread bro

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Oh for crying out loud...

Every once in a while, I get a blunt reminder that video games is a kids hobby. That said, play what makes you happy; people obsess on here about sales for its own sake, not because it makes their gaming more fun.

You are rightte only probelm is that you choose xbox one not pc, since it has games frm the last generations thanks to emulators