By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft UK Advertise Battlefront in Metro using loophole

BMaker11 said:

MS made all that noise last year with Tomb Raider, and now instead of advertising a game that's exclusive to them (for the time being), they pull another butthurt move because the shoe is on the other foot this gen.

Great business strategy. 

I actually agree with this. They essentially let Tomb Raider out to die. As they did with Sunset Overdrive(releasing it with all the huge AAA titles with little promotion). I do not see a sequel for Rise of the Tomb Raider being made after this. It didn't do well on X1, might sell a decent amount on PC and PS4 but Square were expecting 6 million in the first month of the original game's release!!! This one won't get that lifetime.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:

I actually agree with this. They essentially let Tomb Raider out to die. As they did with Sunset Overdrive(releasing it with all the huge AAA titles with little promotion). I do not see a sequel for Rise of the Tomb Raider being made after this. It didn't do well on X1, might sell a decent amount on PC and PS4 but Square were expecting 6 million in the first month of the original game's release!!! This one won't get that lifetime.

And thats just sad cause TR is amazing, lets be honest here (ppl will go batshit crazy at me but I dont care) its a much superior game to both Halo 5 and Fallout 4 (I didnt play Batlefront but I hazard a guess it is as well), too bad both Halo and Fallout are much more popular.

Hiku said:
bananaking21 said:
Hiku said:

How is it relevant if it's clever, or funny? Take that away and what's left is "it was just a way to say that the game is on XB1", which is exactly what paying for that deal is supposed to prevent. Microsoft keep using loopholes to advertise those games anyway.

no its not. the deal is to associate Battlefront with the Playstation brand. EA flat out say the game is coming to XB1 and PC and had an open beta on PC, PS4 and XB1. 

these marketing deals arent trying to trick people into thinking games are exclusive. its about associating the brand of the console with the game. every time someone who doesnt own a console see's a starwars trailer or ad, and then see a PS4 logo at the end, if he decides to buy a console, he is going to think about the PS4, because guess what, thats what the marketing of the game had going along with it.

marketing deals are about building mind share, not tricking consumers into thinking the games are exclusive.

"it was just a way to say"
It's the way I'm refering to. It's this way of advertising the game's presence on Xbox that the deal is supposed to prevent. I'm not saying that Xbox or EA aren't supposed to acknowledge that the game will come to Xbox. They have mentioned it on numerous occasions in interviews and PR and such. But the deal for the marketing rights prevents Microsoft from advertising Battlefront in various media such as commercials, magazines and newspapers.

And part of the reason is to pretend that it's an exclusive. People like you and I who frequent gaming sites obviously know that it's not. But a large amount of people who buy games and consoles don't do further research online after they see an advertisement for a game. They are also the least likely to hesitate on buying the games day 1/pre-ordering because they don't read up on potential launch issues like we do. And then they will recommend their version to their friends, so that they can play together, etc. We're talking about people who don't even notice that you can get a free game with your PS4 purchase, (which they can sell if they don't like it) and kept buying the standalone version in droves, making it chart higher than the other SKU's at Amazon for a long time, until Amazon discontinued the standalone version. (People still buy it though from second hand sellers, and it got into the top 100 again last month...) Or parents looking for a gift to buy for their kids, and see the PS4 Star Wars bundle advertised, but not an Xbox bundle. If Microsoft puts up an "Also available on Xbox One" sign next to the Battlefront advertisement, that would defeat the purpose of the deal in this instance. And another part of it is of course brand association.

The bottom line is that this is the kind of advertising that Sony paid to get exclusive rights for. So there is a good reason for it. MS are finding loopholes to still be able to advertise like this in magazines. In this case it's making an ambiguous statement on a separate page, that just happens to be right next to the Star Wars add. This will probably be ammended into the next marketing rights contract, like the circumstances of the Destiny perfume add attempt probably were. But both MS and Sony have had these kind of deals in the past, and to my recollection they weren't trying to undermine these agreements before.

Sony still don't try to loophole these deals... MS just can't accept any kind of defeat and will try to circumvent... they may at one time get some company very angry at their countinuous intent.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DakonBlackblade said:
Guitarguy said:

And thats just sad cause TR is amazing, lets be honest here (ppl will go batshit crazy at me but I dont care) its a much superior game to both Halo 5 and Fallout 4 (I didnt play Batlefront but I hazard a guess it is as well), too bad both Halo and fallout are much more popular.

I own Fallout 4 but haven't played it yet and have not played Halo 5 but from the footage I have seen, Tomb Raider looks better to me than Halo 5 at the very least. If Sunset Overdrive were out on PS4 I would buy it in a heartbeat too.

DakonBlackblade said:

Everyone claiming exclusive marketing is bad and whatnot, you do realise that without this deals Sony and Ms would put way less money into advertising anythign right ? The cost would fall on the devs and that would elevate production costs wich would just be bad as a whole, exclusive marketing deals allow devs to spend mor eon theyre games cause Sony or MS are gona take care of the publicity, theyre awesome deals and Im realy happy they exist.

Now Im not 100% sure about how they work legaly but MS very deliberatly put that add on that page with that exact wording, depending on how these contracts go this could very well be indeed illegal, altough I dont think Sony cares much about 1 newspaper on London.

NatureOfLogic said:
Desperate MS, what's new? Meanwhile TR flops in the background. Pathetic really

Thats Crystal Dinamics and Squares fault, they released on the worst time of the year with MS focused on marketting Halo and Fallout and with playstation not releasing Uncharted wich would make ppl remember TR was MS's Uncharted, also they let out that you could pre-order TR for PS4 even befor elaunching for XOne wich both affected sales of the game and likely made MS angry and less prone to properly advertise the game since they were already advertising Halo anyway. TR only purpose was to add to a list so MS could say they had "the best line up in Xbox history". They should have delayed this game to January or February a time slot that dont have many games and MS would actualy pay atention to the game and market it. This TR deal has gota be the worst in videogaming story, MS had almost no return from it, CD and Square lost millions of sales and the fanbase got both the shaft and very angry wich only served to harm the brand.

Well... MS found the time and money to circumvent and ad for a game they had no right, so they surely could used somemore msucle to ad RTR.

Would want to see what some guys here would say if Sony had ads infering that people should wait on buying X1 because RTR is comingo to PS4. Sony have stayed graciously shut for all the time and confusion on this game and other exclusive deals MS grabbed... but MS can't cope with it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Where are you finding time and emotion to be upset about such a funny way to advertize a game?!? People on forums are more entertainment than what's available on tv. It's sad that SWBF isn't a game I intend on buying (will wait for EA Access) because I would get the game just because it is getting the drama queens out and that's fu**ing hilarious.

The wolf in sheeps clothing.

This kind of nonsense is exactly what a number of us see through and MS themselves perpetuate and deserve the flack they get for their business practices. This isn't the only division that does it, this isn't the only time they've done it and its honestly not gotten any better since puppet man Phil Spencer took "charge".

Id like MS a lot better if they at least concealed the nasty side of business.

Cut MS some slack my ass

Alkibiádēs said:
Bryank75 said:
yvanjean said:

I think it's funny! Especially that Sony paid to get advertising on a game that's playable first on Xbox One.

From the perspective of someone who has no investment. Of course it would be funny, now imagine you spent money on that deal.....

Imagine you bought the deal that they had the previous 2 years and you respected that and didn't interfere in any way, but then when it was your turn they turned around and shit all over your deal.... 

Not really a nice mentality, is it?

Maybe Sony should invest money in their first party line-up instead.

Maybe you should count how many first party games that's on both consoles before you post.

This reeks of desperation rather than any sort of clever marketing. If MS wants to advertise for the game so much, they should have paid more for exclusive marketing.

Jazz2K said:
Where are you finding time and emotion to be upset about such a funny way to advertize a game?!? People on forums are more entertainment than what's available on tv. It's sad that SWBF isn't a game I intend on buying (will wait for EA Access) because I would get the game just because it is getting the drama queens out and that's fu**ing hilarious.

cuz sony didnt do such things when Xbox 360 had all its deals