By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft UK Advertise Battlefront in Metro using loophole

Ali_16x said:
Alkibiádēs said:

What succesful new IPs has Sony made for the PS4? All they're making is sequels lol. Sony supported PS3? In the third year of the PS4?

It's not hard to have an amazing third year if you had a lacklustre 2013, 2014 and 2015 in terms of first party support for the PS4. Oh and how is Sony supporting the PS Vita? You left that out of your propaganda. Nintendo released A Link between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokémon X/Y and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for the 3DS in 2013.

Sony has put more money to new IPs than Nintendo has, or will.

Wii U

The Wonderful 101
Splatoon

Ok, I can clearly see where Nintendo makes so many new IPs

Also I was talking about before the release of the PS4 and Wii U, the games that came out around 2010-October 2013 for Sony and 2009-October 2012 for Nintendo. 3 years for how long a game usually takes to make. 

Lol, why not include games like Pushmo and Crashmo if you include indie stuff like entwined? Who cares about new IPs if the games are all bad. They didn't even make most games on your list.

Nintendo had the following retail games out at the end of 2014 for Wii U (only including the games they made, so no Bayonetta 2 or TW101):

Pikmin 3: 87% metacritic

Super Smash Bros. 4: 92% metacritic

Super Mario 3D World: 93% metacritic

Mario Kart 8: 88%

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: 83%

New Super Mario Bros. U: 84%

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: 81%

average: 87%

Sony has the following retail games out for the PS4 at the end of 2015:

Killzone: Shadow Fall (sequel): 73%

Little Big Planet 3 (sequel): 79%

Infamous: Second Son (sequel): 80%

Driveclub: (a racing game, never been done before /s) 73%

Tearaway Unfolded (a PS Vita remaster): 81%

Knack: 54%

average: 73%

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Congratulations on dragging the thread off topic, guys.

You really want to cut out the shit. Right now.

PenguinZ said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Smart marketing doesn't rely on 'me too' advertising.

Smart marketing is completely ignoring the competition while instilling in your consumers that they are high class for choosing your product. Think "Apple".

That, is smart marketing. This, is not smart marketing. This is trashy and in poor taste. It's pretty immature for a company as big as MS as well. 

Those whole Apple vs. PC ads in the not too distant past really throw that statement out the window...

Fucking A you're right! Lol forgot about that. Those ads stopped running almost 7 years ago though and the latter portion absolutely holds true - Apple markets its products as classy and high end. So my statement does hold value and the they really don't do advertising often if ever that even acknowledges any form of competition. Sony actually draws a lot of cues from Apples business strategies and even uses similar minimalist approaches to their hardware. When was the last time you saw them mention Xbox aside from one or two congratulation tweets? This hasnt changed this gen, not last gen, not before that. On the opposite end of that spectrum phil Spencer announced the price cut before Sony did, they've talked about Uncharted, they've talked about losing, they've talked about winning,  their actions have suggested that they won't even let Sony have a fair third party marketing deal via battlefront 3, Destiny etc despite MS basically making these kind of deals popular last gen. Trust me that isn't smart. That's petty. Smart marketing would pay dividends. (Would you call Halo 5s misleading campaign advertising smart? I would call that deceptive) A smart strategy would go a lot farther though. 

My opinion on the current topic of the thread: I can understand XB1 fans trying to compare with PS4. But the WiiU?

Really guys, really? You don't get to get cocky when you are in third and your console gets replaced in 1 year.

Lets hope NX becomes something to brag about for Nintendo fans, in that escenario, everybody wins.

JRPGfan said:
Hiku said:

It's funny, therefore it's ok, apparently.

Personally I don't think it's gonna change much. But it does looks pretty disrespectful.

I also saw the swedish Xbox Twitter account tweet this out:

The marketing for Star Wars is in full force on Xbox One.

Sony should ask for a refund :p

Marketing exlusive obviously isnt, and unless companys start pursueing legal actions against it, why should anyone pay for exclusive marketing deals?

And some will say this ad from MS doesn't in any way crap over the exclusive deal... because it's a X1 advertisment and some games included for a price, too bad someone put the boxart of the game in the ad. Far as I know those kind of copyrighted material needs approval before being used. But nonetheless "smart MS move" I guess.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Hiku said:

"it was just a way to say"
It's the way I'm refering to. It's this way of advertising the game's presence on Xbox that the deal is supposed to prevent. I'm not saying that Xbox or EA aren't supposed to acknowledge that the game will come to Xbox. They have mentioned it on numerous occasions in interviews and PR and such. But the deal for the marketing rights prevents Microsoft from advertising Battlefront in various media such as commercials, magazines and newspapers.

And part of the reason is to pretend that it's an exclusive. People like you and I who frequent gaming sites obviously know that it's not. But a large amount of people who buy games and consoles don't do further research online after they see an advertisement for a game. They are also the least likely to hesitate on buying the games day 1/pre-ordering because they don't read up on potential launch issues like we do. And then they will recommend their version to their friends, so that they can play together, etc. We're talking about people who don't even notice that you can get a free game with your PS4 purchase, (which they can sell if they don't like it) and kept buying the standalone version in droves, making it chart higher than the other SKU's at Amazon for a long time, until Amazon discontinued the standalone version. (People still buy it though from second hand sellers, and it got into the top 100 again last month...) Or parents looking for a gift to buy for their kids, and see the PS4 Star Wars bundle advertised, but not an Xbox bundle. If Microsoft puts up an "Also available on Xbox One" sign next to the Battlefront advertisement, that would defeat the purpose of the deal in this instance. And another part of it is of course brand association.

The bottom line is that this is the kind of advertising that Sony paid to get exclusive rights for. So there is a good reason for it. MS are finding loopholes to still be able to advertise like this in magazines. In this case it's making an ambiguous statement on a separate page, that just happens to be right next to the Star Wars add. This will probably be ammended into the next marketing rights contract, like the circumstances of the Destiny perfume add attempt probably were. But both MS and Sony have had these kind of deals in the past, and to my recollection they weren't trying to undermine these agreements before.

@bolded: and the reason for that isnt because they think its exclusive to that platform, is because they associate the game with the platform that it was marketed with. 

At the end of the day, Sony has gotten the Bundle, the Limited Edition Console, The E3, Paris Game week showings, The PS4 marketed alongside the game on Youtube, TV and any other mass marketing effort. they are going full force with this deal. a measly page in a magazine wont do shit. If MS are breaking any laws by doing this, then Sony and/or EA would take action, but this is literally maeningless. how many purchases would be influenced by this? really, take a second and think about it, just how effective will this be?

Again, these deals are about building mind share, all the ads and commericals of Battlefront with the PS4 attached with them is going to achieve it, this paper wont do anything. MS arent breaking the law, MS arent doing anything wrong or sneaky. i honestly still dont see what the issue is with this. 

MS posted a page after a Starwars review saying "Available on Xbox One". so what?

Angelus said:
How you know you're a fanboy: When you actually care about who's advertising multiplats

This is clearly affecting ppl. The way these guys are writing makes them seem like they invested directly in the deal. It's funny to read.

Can't believe people are actually getting upset over an newspaper advert

is not illegal or something, but it just show the attitude of Microsoft, and morally it's wrong because the deal is between SONY and EA not the other way around.