Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 vs Fallout 4 - Gameplaywise

Which game has the better gameplay?

Fallout 4 67 29.39%

The Witcher 3 160 70.18%

Total:227
OdinHades said:

Mummelmann said:

[...]

the only challenging enemy I found so far was a guy in power armor wielding a Fatman at close range. Deathclaws, even legendary ones, are a piece of cake with sneak and a .50 cal sniper rifle.

[...]

You know you can raise the difficulty, right? If you kill legendary Alpha Deathclaws on highest difficulty with a .50 cal, then you sir, are a gaming god!

I'm playing on normal (Level 17 right now) and got my ass kicked yesterday by some fucking Stingwings! Seriously, five of them just raped me and every hit poisoned me, my life bar was depleting in just a few seconds. After a few tries I figured to just use a pumpgun in VATS and bang bang bang, all of them were gone! 

I don't know, I'm getting a good challenge out of Fallout 4. 

I'm not really that good at games, the Sneak mechanics are simply broken. .50 cal sniper rifle with night vision scope, high sneak with muffled and shadowed armor and a couple of magazine boosts and a couple of upgrades on rifle damage and it's a breeze. It won't find you and you can sit behind a tree a pop shots off till it drops. It never came close to detecting me.
As for dogs, rad scorpions, mole rats and most other, smaller enemies who bite or claw, just climb onto the roof of a car or a medium sized rock and they can't touch you.
Human enemies are poor at taking cover and have lousy aim, they also tend to box themselves in and open themselves up to grenade attacks and when you sneak, they just give up on finding you even if you blast their companions' heads off one by one right beside them.

Some of the flying enemies can be challenging in the beginning or in tighter quarters but when you can some more damage bonuses and sneak around; they're really nothing to be concerned about.
Robots are also mostly useless compared to New Vegas, a sentry bot there could tear you up in seconds.
For the record; I'm now playing on Very Hard, Normal was too easy. Sneak mechanics are broken, just like in Skyrim, which was also way too easy when using sneak and ranged.

Sneaking was always bad in Bethesda games; "now that I'm bending my knees, I'm invisible! Even in the light!"

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
[...]

Well, if you know that stealth mechanics have been broken in Bethesda games for your taste, then why do you keep using them? It's not like the game isn't giving enough other options... you could for example just max out strength and endurance from the beginning and invest nothing into perception or agility. That way you'll have yourself a great brawler that will get detected by everyone in the game world miles away! 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Mummelmann said:
[...]

Well, if you know that stealth mechanics have been broken in Bethesda games for your taste, then why do you keep using them? It's not like the game isn't giving enough other options... you could for example just max out strength and endurance from the beginning and invest nothing into perception or agility. That way you'll have yourself a great brawler that will get detected by everyone in the game world miles away! 

I used to play all games like that, but I just prefer the slow, sneaky and methodical way since many years ago. I play the same way in games like Deus Ex and Thief as well. Pickpocket, lockpicking, sneaking and  remaining undetected is the way I prefer it.
There are games where sneaking can't really be used for combat, like the Gothic series, and to a lesser extent the Thief series, you may down one enemy with a silent arrow but the rest will be relentless in trying to find you, and this game is nearly 20 years old.
Dishonored also did the stealth part really well, you had to isolate enemies and time your strikes really well and they were terrific at detecting you on higher difficulties, forcing you to come up with more creative ways to get by and open combat was often not a real option when facing some of the stronger enemies.
Even Tomb Raider did a much better job at the stealth part.
Stealth can be done really well, just gliding around unhindered and murdering everything without opposition is not doing it really well.

As for playing guns blazing; that would be even more boring in my opinion as the mechanics don't really lend themselves that well to such a style of play, a system more akin to Far Cry would be a lot more fun then, the transition between sneaking and all out shoot-out's is quite blurred and hectic and the regular shooting mechanics in Fallout games just aren't very good, the VATS system is more annoying than anything and I would much rather have them tweak the gameplay instead, VATS ruins immersion and causes a "free criticals to win" system that is almost as broken as the stealth part.

Haven't played Fallout, but I've been forced to play Witcher 3 for dozens, if not hundreds of hours.

I don't get why most people love the game so much, I personally think it's rather boring and repetitive. Just always follow the dotted path shown on the mini-map, turn on your witcher sense if you're in the center of the target circle, press the attack button if you're being attacked... And that's pretty much the whole game.

Gwent, the game in the game, is actually the best part about witcher 3.

John2290 said:

The wasn't a turine test. It was the exact same test used in Fallout 3s school at the start of the game. Then it was a test to see what job you would take later in life. 

From the information you find in the town and compound they're fine tuning the SAFE test to work as a turing test.  Fallout 3 had the GOAT test, which is indeed the same set of questions (minus the last one with only Overseer as answer) Either it's a cheeky reference to previous game, total laziness, or the people in Covenent found that old test to try and use it for their purpose. I'm thinking the latter from the information available about testing the test.

Currenlty I'm on the USS constitution, run by dementing robots. Funny stuff, yet the gameplay isn't much more than fetch missions so far (or simply bypass with high int) There is a 'moral' dilemma, side with the scavengers or satisfy my curiosity and find out what the dementing captain has in mind with all that firepower... I know it will be the latter, I set of the nuke in F3 to satify my curiosity :)

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I'm almost done with the Phantom Pain and i've decided to pick up either Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 and while both games are massive and deep at the end of it all they're games and the superior game should have superior gameplay. How is the combat in both games? I've also never played a Witcher or a Fallout.

I ve placed quite a bit of Fallout 4. I now cleaning up the last few trophies for the platium, I have also played The Witchery 3 twice and gotten the platform.  So I can say this without hesitation that The witchery 3 is by far a better game, I could easily play it a third time while Fallout 4 (loved f3 and NV for...400hrs...maybe) and F4 just falls short on everything that made the last two great. Every other quest you are broke from the immersion left thinking, did a child write this? Is there anyone actually putting effort into directing the voice actors? That choice I just made, does it actually mean anything at all besides blocking me for other quests? And the list goes on. I can't believe how terribly bland and flat they made this game and im sad to say im disopointed. I still keep telling myself, maybe ....maybe it will get better. 

That said the moment to moment game play which is enojoyable until you have to interact with scripted moments and there are a few things it does well. 

So..to answer the thread. The witcher 3 is a bigger game in most respects, not as much moving part's or micro management, but it really has set a new standerd and if Bethesda don't do something about moving into this decade for TES 6 then they will hurt themselves going forward after that. 

For comparison of how i feel score wise. Fallout 4 * 7/10. Wither 3 * 9.5/10. Mgs5 * 9.5/10. Bloodborne. * 9/10. Dragon age inquisition * 8.5/10. 

I agree with this post almost entirely. I dont understand how anyone can say Elder Scrolls and Fallout are great "open worlds" cause you write your own story, actualy no theres no story to be written, the storytelling is super simple and rudmentar all you do is literaly go from random place in your map to random place in your map killing stuf and if you feel like it you can also murder an entire setlement for no reason. I have fun playing it but thats all those games are to me, some quick fun shooting stuf and leveling up and finding some loot (wich by the way has a few problems as well, since there isnt much variety if you disconsider all the junk you get to scrap),  kinda like playing Diablo. The characters are so useless that I dont even know the names of the companions I have, they have no story and dont interact with the world at all, the onyl one I remember is Dogmeat cause hes good at bitting enemys legs and pinning them down for me.

Withcer on the other hand is a complete experience, with super imersive world and story, masterfull quest design and characters that youll remember forever, and it also have the going to random places and kiling suf in there if you want to do that for a bit.

John2290 said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Haven't played Fallout, but I've been forced to play Witcher 3 for dozens, if not hundreds of hours.

I don't get why most people love the game so much, I personally think it's rather boring and repetitive. Just always follow the dotted path shown on the mini-map, turn on your witcher sense if you're in the center of the target circle, press the attack button if you're being attacked... And that's pretty much the whole game.

Gwent, the game in the game, is actually the best part about witcher 3.

Why would you play with such UI? have some integrity and don't use the mechanics that are meant for the "I cant play this, its too hard" generation. 

As I said, I was pretty much forced to play the game against my own will. And because of that, I tried to play through the game in as little time as possible.

I admit that for this reason my opinion on the Witcher was negatively biased from the very start. It somewhat changed when I started playing and loving gwent; the prospect of getting more and better cards was such a huge motivation for me to proceed in the rest of the game.

Mummelmann said:
HoloDust said:

You can be against it all you want, it's your view on things and it's valid for you, but there is a very good reason why on core c/W/RPG sites like RPGCodex Fallout 1/2 are in top 3, with Fallout NV being 8th - and it has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia goggles. For reference, so that no one thinks there is Bethesda hate there, Morrowind is in 7th place.

I completely understand how Bethesda's versions appeal more to mass market, especially FO4 that is even further dumbed down as RPG from FO3 - game is still decently fun and it certainly has its audience, it's just moving away from RPG elements that originals had and that FO3 at least tried to preserve to some degree.

IMO, right move be to try and bring all the missing stuff form FO1/2 into Bethesda's vision, but I guess that would be too much work or too niche for their current mass market status.

It's the same story with the TES games; the more RPG elements they remove, the more popular it gets. I can understand it from a business perspective but for RPG fans, it's not really fun when games get more and more shallow. Mass Effect is another prime example, and Dragon Age as well, Diablo 3 went down the same path and the community nose-dived after only a few months where D2 remained relevant for more than a decade online.
The massive budgets force developers to aim for the lowest (or at least lower) common denominator to gain more sales from the so called "broader audience", so this is a self-preptuating cycle that will probably get worse in the coming years.

The number of good, proper RPG releases is going down and down, which is a shame since modern gaming machines have the potential to house games with both good looks and depth. Writing has taken a backseat to production value.

Heck; Fallout 4 doesn't even have skills any longer, so every character can use every armor and weapon. Some say it's appealing because you avoid missing with your build, I say it takes a lot of the point away from RPG's as a genre; custom characters with varied skills, strengths and weaknesses are a part of essential ingredients that make the meal complete. I don't care how much you can morph your characters face, which you'll only see in the (poor) dialogue sequences anyway, this is not what RPG's should be about and it doesn't add any depth to the actual game, it's just more visual filler.
Your actual stats have little bearing on the gameplay in Fallout 4 (the SPECIAL stats) and might as well be removed as well.
Fallout 4 is basically a re-skinned Skyrim and it's painstakingly obvious that these series are being developed in tandem, this takes away from them both in the end and I would like it if they tried to make them more different instead of both aiming down the middle.

Don't get me wrong, there are still good RPG's being made, but the masters of old (looking at you, Bioware and Bethesda) have lost it recently. This is one of the main reasons I loved The Witcher 3 so much; it wasn't like every other RPG, and this is, ironically, the main arguments for why a lot of people didn't like it. Yes, you're forced to play as a character the author and developer made, but you flesh him out and TW3 actually has more customization than F4 due to the system itself actually having consequences that affect gameplay a great deal.
I would much rather play an RPG with template characters from the box that can be tailor-made than make my own L'Oreal model with the exact right beard stubble and perfect ear lobes that can do what all the other L'Oreal models can right from scratch.
The "moral" or "good/bad" system in Fallout 4 and similar titles is also laughable, same with Mass Effect, yet another point where The Witcher 3 destroys the competition.

I do like Fallout 4, as I liked New Vegas, but as an RPG, it had shed weight and depth in favor of, well, pretty much tinkering with gear (which isn't nearly as fantastic as it sounded at first), terrible base building and L'Oreal model creator 1.0. Throw in more superficial things, remove depth, that's how to make an RPG today, apparently.
Luckily, games like Pillars of Eternity and The Witcher 3 show that not only are there developers that are willing to go a different path; there is also a market for these games.

I'm going to disagree with you pretty much every way possible.  Like, on a fundamental level.  Not that you're wrong about what you like but rather that your ideas about RPGs are not absolutes.

Basically, it sounds like what you're saying is that for you to enjoy an RPG, the developers have to tightly define your playstyle and tell you what choices you can make.  That's fine.  Those can be good games.  However, it's every bit as valid and, for me, enjoyable, when the developer allows you to use your imagination.  Personally, I'm not using metal armor because my character wouldn't.  I'm not using mini-guns or rocket launchers unless I'm in power armor.  I'm using non-automatic rifles.  I'm using my charisma.  I'm focusing on picking locks and hacking.  This is the character that I'm creating on my own and I'm doing it because that's what I want, not because I'm following a path laid down by the developers.  The SPECIAL chart is a guide that gives you focus but it never feels frustrating because you can't get to something that changes everything.  I think that's perfectly fine as an RPG and, honestly, pretty awesome.

For all the RPG side, the characters, the world, the story, the quests, the writting, variety, the deepness of the game, TW3, no debate , it's like comparing Hunger Games to Shutter Island, TW3 is a masterpiece, Fallout 4 a decent game

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

John2290 said:
Would you mind adding a poll? Please.

You're right. Forgot about that.