By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on "Star Fox Zero's graphics look bad"

They could improve the grass textures which are really the ugliest part in the game, and that shouldn't be that difficult.

But I'll take it anyway, I want a good Starfox game since...Starfox 64.

Around the Network

About the two screens rendering two points of view... Why is that different from Mario Kart 8 two player split-screen multiplayer? Sure, it renders more pixels in Star Fox because the extra Gamepad 480p screen. BUUT, and correct me if I'm wrong, in Mario Kart 8's multiplayer the CPU has to process two players controls input and two possible gameplay scenerios co-existing at the same time, while the two screens from Star Fox just differ in the point of view they are showing.

Then again, I'm just asking.

midrange said:
zippy said:
Jesus, the main focus on a frantic game like this is 60fps, in which Nintendo are delivering. They are also utilizing the gamepad because fucking gamers complain about the lack of gamepad features in games and how underused it is. The game looks fine, and is keeping within the Star Fox universe art style. Personally I'm grateful we are getting a Star Fox game, but still there is no pleasing some people.

@ bold: the answer isn't to shoehorn this feature into a game and have that game suffer, the solution is to take previous hard-to-implement concepts (such as level editor) and have them made possible and well done through the gamepad.

Starfox could have been made way better by removing the gamepad

Hasnt the game been delayed to produce a decent 2nd screen experience, with cockpit view and gyro controls (optional to those who dont want it), and running at 60fps? I hardly call than shoehorned in.

Imho the improvements since E3 weren't really that many, looking at the trailer without any form of comparison I could barely tell the difference, still since the game has 5 months of development to improve I can't really criticize it... I have to agree with people who pointed out that the Space levels look WAAAAAAAAY better than the planet ones like Corneria...

I still play the N64 game every once in a while. And I almost exlusively did console gaming on Wii the previous gen.

I don't see the fuzz about the visuals. Consoles have really hit the wall for what I consider to be pretty anyways. Now art is what makes the difference.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
zippy said:
midrange said:

@ bold: the answer isn't to shoehorn this feature into a game and have that game suffer, the solution is to take previous hard-to-implement concepts (such as level editor) and have them made possible and well done through the gamepad.

Hasnt the game been delayed to produce a decent 2nd screen experience, with cockpit view and gyro controls (optional to those who dont want it), and running at 60fps? I hardly call than shoehorned in.

The game was delayed for various reasons. As seen in the vid, one small reason is to improve lighting and graphics overall (not much will change imo anyway).

The gamepad was added because Miyamoto felt compelled to add gamepad functionality. This was made clear last year when Nintendo claimed they were going to implement the gamepad in future games and used starfox as an example. 

Miyamoto added gamepad functionality because he had to, not because the nature of the game called for it. That is shoehorning a feature. The nature of Mario maker has people prefer the gamepad as a controller. The nature of wii sports had people preferring motion controls over the standard controller. The nature of wii fit had people prefer the balance board. The nature of starfox (rail shooter) has people prefer traditional controls (as shown by many people who turn off gamepad functionality).

spemanig said:
midrange said:

I agree. I hate when people scapegoat the gamepad like that. The gamepad, as a device, is not the problem. The specific implementation done here is. It could have had a map. I could have had the mugshots of the crew members talking like in KI:U. It could have had an entire command center of options. This is, by far, the dumbest implementation of the gamepad I've seen in any game.

agree

Luke888 said:
Imho the improvements since E3 weren't really that many, looking at the trailer without any form of comparison I could barely tell the difference, still since the game has 5 months of development to improve I can't really criticize it... I have to agree with people who pointed out that the Space levels look WAAAAAAAAY better than the planet ones like Corneria...

It's very difficult to mess up a level that is just a skybox.

StarFox's visuals have definitely improved a notch since its official unveiling at E3.

That being said, graphically it still looks like an upscaled GameCube game. Compare the latest batch of StarFox screen shots and game play videos to that of a 1st gen GameCube game like Rogue Squadron 2, a game that is nearly 15 years old and yet managed to run at a silky smooth 60fps 99% of the time despite all the stuff going around you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagOYjX6aD8

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

midrange said:
zippy said:

The game was delayed for various reasons. As seen in the vid, one small reason is to improve lighting and graphics overall (not much will change imo anyway).

The gamepad was added because Miyamoto felt compelled to add gamepad functionality. This was made clear last year when Nintendo claimed they were going to implement the gamepad in future games and used starfox as an example. 

Miyamoto added gamepad functionality because he had to, not because the nature of the game called for it. That is shoehorning a feature. The nature of Mario maker has people prefer the gamepad as a controller. The nature of wii sports had people preferring motion controls over the standard controller. The nature of wii fit had people prefer the balance board. The nature of starfox (rail shooter) has people prefer traditional controls (as shown by many people who turn off gamepad functionality).

I personally think the gamepad features will enhance the gaming experience of Star Fox Zero. The cockpit view will open up the game to be played from a different perspective with the added gyro controls. You could play through the whole game multiple times with different angles and control schemes to experiment with. Again I dont see the problem with the gamepad controls because they are totally optional, meaning traditional gamers will play with the standard controls and layout. This means the gamepad features are not shoe horned in because they are not mandatory, but there to enhance the players experience should they wish to do so. If the game took away the 2nd screen the graphics and artstyle will prob still be roughly the same, its not the gamepad display holding back Star Fox's graphical capabilities, its the choice Nintendo opted to go with.