By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on "Star Fox Zero's graphics look bad"

Vodacixi said:
About the two screens rendering two points of view... Why is that different from Mario Kart 8 two player split-screen multiplayer? Sure, it renders more pixels in Star Fox because the extra Gamepad 480p screen. BUUT, and correct me if I'm wrong, in Mario Kart 8's multiplayer the CPU has to process two players controls input and two possible gameplay scenerios co-existing at the same time, while the two screens from Star Fox just differ in the point of view they are showing.

Then again, I'm just asking.

The difference is basically the number of pixels being drawn; 2 player splitscreen in Mario Kart 8 still draws 1280x720 pixels, while Starfox draws 1280x720 to the main screen plus 854x480 to the Gamepad.

Around the Network

Apart from the graphics i actually think the game itself looks bland with bland gimmicky gameplay, poor art design, uninspiring and playing way to much on nostalgia. The poor graphics just add on to the list of my dissapointment.

I love star fox but this wasnt the game i was hoping for :( 

AlfredoTurkey said:
I don't care what it looks like, it's fucking Starfox. I'm cool with it.

This.

It's fair to say that if you look at the graphical upgrade that a Wii U game like Mario Kart received compared to last gen that yes, Starfox falls short

of that. However, I agree with the OP that 60FPS and 2 screens is an achievement with those visuals on Wii U hardware.

And more to the point it just looks fun dammit!

mZuzek said:

Now this is what you call an opinion.

*points to sig*

RolStoppable said:

You are wrong. It's called a bad opinion. It's not a bad opinion because it's negative. It's not a bad opinion because it was written by spemaning. It's a bad opinion because it is plain and simply bad.

You are wrong. It's not a bad opinion. It's an informed and intelligent opinion based off several facts, extensive mechanical and artistic knowledge, and a wealth of experience on the subject.

And it's Spemanig.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Why do you even bother replying to that?

Because it aggravated me and taking his bait has no negative impact on me.

To be clear, it aggravated me because he spelt my name wrong. Everything else was written after.

I don't think it's so much that the graphics are poor. The game has less-that-stellar textures and whatnot because Nintendo wanted a smooth framerate on both the gamepad and on the screen. That's understandable.

What exacerbated the problem was the design choice. While I understand that the choice to have angular ships was for nostalgia purposes, it just looks visually unpleasant.

It's fun watching the guy on the video attribute minor texture changes to major engine changes and lighting solution, I guess when you really, really, want something to be better you can go over just about anything with a fine tooth comb and come up with something.

Looked like a gamecube game at e3, looks like a Wii game now.

mZuzek said:

Well you're also aggravating me with your spelling.

Point taken.

RolStoppable said:

Facts, knowledge and experience, or maybe just IGN, guesswork and a cry for attention.

While it was a typo, we could keep it as a word. A verb, to be precise. After all, we already have "arkaigning" which refers to shameless quintuple posting in threads. "Spemaning" could be a synonym for "I know everything better." - Then again, that's my thing, so it's probably for the best to shelve this idea.

Nope. Not guesswork. No crying. Informed opinions based on documented facts about the game, extensive mechanical and artistic critical knowledge, and a wealth of experience on the subject. None of which was even remotely necessary to come to such an obvious and plain-as-day conclusion, mind you, but all of which were absolutely instrumental in truly coming to grips with and fully understanding the plethora of reasons why anyone would and nearly everyone has come to such an obvious and plain-as-day conslusion.

And, to bring this detour back to the topic, those things have lead me to the same conclusion the vast majority of people who have seen any footage at all for Star Fox Zero have come to, which is that Star Fox Zero, from a technical, artistic, sound design, writing, originality, and most importantly a gameplay perspective, looks absolutely and unmistakably terrible.

Like really, really bad.