By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on "Star Fox Zero's graphics look bad"

mZuzek said:
Areym said:
I see you points but it still looks so dated compared to many many MANY others games. The gameplay may be spot on but it's on rail (correct me if wrong) so it can't be that hard to pull off or impressive. I'm not sure what this game (this one specifically, not the franchise itself) has going for it honestly, besides brand name.

Yes, because it's a rail shooter, therefore it's a bad game stuck in the past and has no purpose, since absolutely no one can have fun with that type of game if not for nostalgia. I think the only way to make Star Fox really good today would be to make it a MMO open-world.

We live in the most superficial age of gaming where one console is shit for having a 15% less of resolution while the other is awesome having the exact same games, what are you expecting? something does not have to be good this days, it has to LOOK good and big, otherwise, it has no place in videogames. Just look No man´s Sky, that game looks like is gonna be the most boring thing ever done, but everyone is hyped because is big.

Around the Network

Jesus, the main focus on a frantic game like this is 60fps, in which Nintendo are delivering. They are also utilizing the gamepad because fucking gamers complain about the lack of gamepad features in games and how underused it is. The game looks fine, and is keeping within the Star Fox universe art style. Personally I'm grateful we are getting a Star Fox game, but still there is no pleasing some people.

Goodnightmoon said:
mZuzek said:
Areym said:
I see you points but it still looks so dated compared to many many MANY others games. The gameplay may be spot on but it's on rail (correct me if wrong) so it can't be that hard to pull off or impressive. I'm not sure what this game (this one specifically, not the franchise itself) has going for it honestly, besides brand name.

Yes, because it's a rail shooter, therefore it's a bad game stuck in the past and has no purpose, since absolutely no one can have fun with that type of game if not for nostalgia. I think the only way to make Star Fox really good today would be to make it a MMO open-world.

We live in the most superficial age of gaming where one console is shit for having a 15% less of resolution while the other is awesome having the exact same games, what are you expecting? something does not have to be good this days, it has to LOOK good and big, otherwise, it has no place in videogames. Just look No man´s Sky, that game looks like is gonna be the most boring thing ever done, but everyone is hyped because is big.

In No Man's Sky's defense, It's a new IP and a fresh take on the adventure genre (sorta kinda) We have seen star fox before and not much has changed since Star Fox 64 (Arguably the best star fox, i believe) To your point about superficial games, look at Fallout 4. An arguably average looking game, with jarring facial animations and various rough textures and it is still a monster, both in sales and critical acclaim. Look at the rise of indies, games that relay on less graphical performance and more focus on style and gameplay.

The Wii U has some beautiful, fantasic looking games that do not rely on the best graphics or resolution or whatever. Star Fox is not one of them, Star Fox looks oudated and its art direction is weak, in my opinion. I respect your opinion and I'm not looking to start an internet brawl but since i am allowed to voice my opinion in this forum (so long as I am respectful) Star fox feels like an outdated game for the previous generation

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

mZuzek said:
Areym said:

Well, I didn't say all that. I payed full price for RE: Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside chronicles and I had a fun time with my brother (despite it being a very meh game overall) I'm just saying rail shooters are not the pinnacle of gameplay variety and ingenuity. Coupled with, in my honest opinion, outdate graphics and life-less scenery, I really do not see what this game brings to the table outside of being an Official Star Fox game. The Wii U has way, way better titles than this and I do not see the hype behind this game.

I'm ignoring your last sentence because it pretty much invalidated the rest of your post.

I don't care if rail shooters are "the pinnacle of gameplay variety and ingenuity". They're fun, and that's all that matters. Star Fox 64 was an absolute blast and is honestly one of the best games I've ever played, even if it didn't have a lot of content and variety, and it's pretty clear Star Fox Zero is going to be just as good as, if not better. If you don't like a rail shooter, there's no point in even arguing - you don't like Star Fox in the first place.

To clarify, I really do think the Star Fox universe could be great for MMOs but there is no denying the furries would flock to it. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know.

That's fine with me, honestly. I hope you do enjoy the game and that it finds success but I'm just voicing my opinon on the game and its current state which is that Star Fox looks underwhelming, from an art direction, graphics and gameplay perspective. I believe I am allowed to do that and I have not attacked anybody. OP express his thoughts on the matter, as did I.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

curl-6 said:

fireburn95 has a point, the game would be better recieved if they'd just gone with regular controls and used the extra horsepower to make it look like this:

(Excuse the poor image quality, I can't find a native resolution one that's not horribly compressed)

Indeed. Bayonetta 2 shows how they can make the Arwing look really nice on the Wii U

Definitely impressive

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
zippy said:
 They are also utilizing the gamepad because fucking gamers complain about the lack of gamepad features in games and how underused it is. 

^

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:

Well, to start off, the graphics are not bad when considering some things.

The game is running a locked 60fps on both the TV screen AND the Gamepad. It's something that people do not take into consideration. The fact it's running on both screens, with different viewpoints AND at 60fps? That's pretty amazing.

Just because it doesn't look like it would "Strain" a PS3 or 360 graphic/texture wise, it certaintly would if you had the 360/PS3 hold a 60fps (that alone would be difficult for them), and then also on two screens. 

And with all that, it still looks gorgeous. With 5 months or so to its release, it'll surely only keep improving. (Oh and those people complaining about the octogon rings, it's an artistic style, a way of giving a throwback to the series. Cause it is one of Star Foxes most memorable things)

And here's a video of the graphical improvments back from E3 to current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwq22FN2MSo

This is the problem with making games "unique." Often times you end up sacrificing a lot of components just to add an often overlooked feature. Because of the gamepad integration, the game is looking worse than most ps3/360 games while also removing potential options for multiplayer modes (I'm not talking about one steers and the other shoots, I mean 4 way battles like the original starfox).

The game still looks awful. It improved incrementally by changing up lighting and other minor adjustments, but the game still looks abysmal. The fact that it is worse than most last gen games is sad when you realise that we are in the middle of 8th gen. What is the purpose of streaming both screens at 60 fps? This is a feature that will be heavily overlooked (especially considering people prefer traditional controls over gamepad controls).

In the end, a few months won't change how horrendous the graphics are. However, the delay they made was a good one, not because I think they can make the graphics passable, but because they are probably adding in a mode that compensates for that.

zippy said:
Jesus, the main focus on a frantic game like this is 60fps, in which Nintendo are delivering. They are also utilizing the gamepad because fucking gamers complain about the lack of gamepad features in games and how underused it is. The game looks fine, and is keeping within the Star Fox universe art style. Personally I'm grateful we are getting a Star Fox game, but still there is no pleasing some people.

@ bold: the answer isn't to shoehorn this feature into a game and have that game suffer, the solution is to take previous hard-to-implement concepts (such as level editor) and have them made possible and well done through the gamepad.

Starfox could have been made way better by removing the gamepad

mZuzek said:

No, not because it's a rail shooter. because it looks like a bad rail shooter. All the gameplay impressions have been bad. People who even turned off the terrible gamepad controls like Jose Otero from IGN have still had poor impressions of the game. It's not just the terrible art direction and sound direction. It's not just the poor presentation. It's not at all that it's a rail shooter. It's not just the terrible optional gamepad controls that actively serves to be detrimental to the game, even when not in use, because Miyamoto was thick enough to anchor half of the processing power being used on this game to it. Kid Icarus Uprising looks better and more modern than this on the 3DS with a 244p screen, and I'm talking both aesthetically and gameplay wise. If that game stayed the Star Fox game it was originally planned to be, it would have been a modern classic and singlehandedly revitalized the franchise, and that's a rail shooter. This game legitimately looks terrible, and will likely tank the franchise for another decade.

Does Star Fox need to evolve and expand? Yes, but that is not where this game's problem lies. The introduction of 3D Zelda didn't end the viability for topdown Zelda. The introduction of 3D Mario did not end the viability of 2D Mario. The introduction of 1sp person Metroid did not end the viability of 2D Metroid. The introduction of a ambitious open Star Fox title wouldn't end the viability for an rail shooter Star Fox. Star Fox Zero just looks like a bad game. Not because it's Star Fox. Not because it's a rail shooter. Because it looks unenjoyable. It looks like a bad game looks before it launches.

midrange said:

@ bold: the answer isn't to shoehorn this feature into a game and have that game suffer, the solution is to take previous hard-to-implement concepts (such as level editor) and have them made possible and well done through the gamepad.

Starfox could have been made way better by removing the gamepad

I agree. I hate when people scapegoat the gamepad like that. The gamepad, as a device, is not the problem. The specific implementation done here is. It could have had a map. I could have had the mugshots of the crew members talking like in KI:U. It could have had an entire command center of options. This is, by far, the dumbest implementation of the gamepad I've seen in any game.