By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Tri Force Heroes first reviews [Metacritic: 75]

noname2200 said:
DivinePaladin said:

The usage of the assets, according to somebody actually involved (I will take Aonuma's word over somebody uninvolved with the game, with all due respect to Iwata), was purely a design choice.

Hmm, I might just be misunderstanding you here, but one of the persons who said the reuse of assets was a necessity instead of a choice was Aonouma.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/0

Iwata:    First let's start by asking you about the Nintendo 64 version. If I remember correctly, the development for Majora's Mask began when somebody requested that it be made in one year.  

Aonuma:   You're right. Since we already made The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time2, we had 3D models that we invested a lot of time in to build. This all started by (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san asking whether we could make a game in one year if we repurpose the models. But we were already talking about trying to make Master Quest3 for Nintendo 64DD4.

Essentially, the way I read it Majora's Mask was always distinct from Master Quest, but it would only be allowed to proceed if they recycled Ocarina of Time stuff so as to pop it out in a year. In that sense, it really does seem to be a cousin to Tri Force Heroes. Both games were part of a deliberate attempt to reuse one game to quickly pump out another, and while both games are quite distinct from their predecessor I'd argue with confidence that Tri Force Heroes set out to be more different from its origin than Majora's Mask did.*

*Not a slam against Majora's though. I <3 that game...

The way it was always described before the IA you linked was that it was very briefly Zelda Gaiden and then Aonuma was able to convince Miyamoto very early into development to do a new game instead of an expansion, which is where the one year challenge came in. 

Though you're correct, it WAS a necessity - IF Aonuma wanted to get the game done on time. But it could've been done should Aonuma have chosen to. Before the IA I recall it always  being described that they chose to reuse assets to save time,not because gun to their head they had to, if you get what I'm saying. Remember this is the same guy who said that they worked on TP for two consoles at once when the likely scenario was that it was ported by a small group in the last year, not remade with two consoles in mind. He's known for embellishing quite a bit and rewriting history a bit tooz

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:

The way it was always described before the IA you linked was that it was very briefly Zelda Gaiden and then Aonuma was able to convince Miyamoto very early into development to do a new game instead of an expansion, which is where the one year challenge came in. 

Though you're correct, it WAS a necessity - IF Aonuma wanted to get the game done on time. But it could've been done should Aonuma have chosen to. Before the IA I recall it always  being described that they chose to reuse assets to save time,not because gun to their head they had to, if you get what I'm saying. Remember this is the same guy who said that they worked on TP for two consoles at once when the likely scenario was that it was ported by a small group in the last year, not remade with two consoles in mind. He's known for embellishing quite a bit and rewriting history a bit tooz

For what it's worth, not only are you right about the rewrites, but he also mentions in the interview that his memory is fuzzy because it was so long ago, so I can definitely see him pulling a George Lucas and...evolving...the story as time went on. Still, this is the version I personally recall, and not just from the interview, so it's the one that's my personal headcannon.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

Honestly, depending on how much content is in the game, I feel like the game acting as dlc would be too big, if it packs a large amount of levels. I feel it is warranted as a standalone downloadable game or as an expansion, like Super Luigi Bros U, which so also happens to be 20 USDs... o:

Go figure.

I was actually thinking specifically of NSLU when I said expansion. $20 of quality.

Oh, whoops, I missed that, sorry, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

noname2200 said:
DivinePaladin said:

For what it's worth, not only are you right about the rewrites, but he also mentions in the interview that his memory is fuzzy because it was so long ago, so I can definitely see him pulling a George Lucas and...evolving...the story as time went on. Still, this is the version I personally recall, and not just from the interview, so it's the one that's my personal headcannon.

Hey, whatever works lol. I don't personally care which way is which, they're both almost splitting hairs so whichever one you wanna go with is pretty much just as correct since we'll never know the true, definitive answer knowing Nintendo and especially Aonuma. I mean Aonuma couldn't even remember to release Zelda U in 2015!

Jokes aside, yeah, it's a somewhat similar situation to MM that we're in, except that TFH did it by choice instead of because of a time crunch (well, seemingly), on top of other differences in scenario that aren't as noteworthy. Either way, the game sounds pretty good for fans of the FS saga, which is good. I'm glad they're doing things to add replayability to the games too, as they've always been one and done outside of MM for me; the costumes seem to help that a tad but not likely too much. Even then the hub seems pointless so they're giving and taking. So, really, every Zelda game! But I digress

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Well, shit. Guess I'll have to play online with strangers to get the best experience from this game. Playing with the "dolls" or whatever on single player sounds like a poor experience.

Also, not terrible reviews. About what you would expect for this type of game. I'd say.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network

And so it's confirmed to belong in the timeline and even has a definite position, is canon and has the same status as the other so-called 'mainline' games named LoZ. I can't call that a spin-off, the name did say it all, thank you very much. I'm not saying anyone can't recognize 'importance', or group them into primary and secondary, but this is a main game nonetheless.

I'll see if I can get the game today. Even though I don't like the look and concept of it, it's still a Zelda game; got to keep my collection up to date.

Wright said:
Pavolink said:

So, the same Link as ALBW. What does Goodnightmoon has to say about this?

And even so, it's a mainline title and in the timeline. Uh uh uh...

So, we can safely conclude we're on a mainline Zelda games decadence?

As long as Aonuma is in charge, things will get only worse.

S.Peelman said:
And so it's confirmed to belong in the timeline and even has a definite position, is canon and has the same status as the other so-called 'mainline' games named LoZ. I can't call that a spin-off, the name did say it all, thank you very much. I'm not saying anyone can't recognize 'importance', or group them into primary and secondary, but this is a main game nonetheless.

I'll see if I can get the game today. Even though I don't like the look and concept of it, it's still a Zelda game; got to keep my collection up to date.

You were right. This is a mainline game and that's sad. Sad day for the Zelda franchise when the best they can come out it's this.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Goodnightmoon said:

That´s new, little time ago Shikata said

"“The king is a firm believer in this legend, in this prophecy that exists within their kingdom, of three heroes that come together to form a totem. The king understands from this legend that describes the true hero as someone with these long sideburns and this particular hair style and these long ears. So the king from amongst these people is able to find the correct ones. The people who meet his conditions are the true heroes.”

So basically he is saying that the heroes are just people that happens to look like the true hero, and that makes sense with the dialogues in the game. Now they are saying one of those 3 links is the same from ALBW wich does not makes sense since who are the other 2 then? 

Anyway my point of what I said stays the same, is an ambiguous trio where everybody is link but no one is and the princess is not Zelda. Not that any of this matters though,  seeing someone offended because you can dress the main character as a woman on a game like this is still funny wether is Link or not.

The only thing that offends me is the praise that mental lazyness gets. They fact that the only thing they can do is Link dressed as Zelda is truly sad.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Those reviews are mixed 75% isn't bad but it is not Zelda... too many spin off and games on 3DS - needed more foces on new IPs I guess

Switch!!!

S.Peelman said:

I'm pretty sure they shoehorned this title into the timeline after the fact.  That's because pretty much every single LoZ game has to go in there somewhere now.  If defining a mainline game as one that fits onto the timeline, then there really wont be any future LoZ spinoffs.
Nintendo is simply making contradictions by trying to appease fans who want an elaborate layout of when everything happens in the LoZ universe.