By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Tri Force Heroes first reviews [Metacritic: 75]

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:

MM started as an expansion, but through (effectively) a bet became its own game. TFH was always intended to use the engine for LBW without adding too much besides multiplayer.

As Wright points out, that's not entirely true. The Iwata Asks segment on Majora's Mask makes it clear they intended from the get go to make a game that largely recycled Ocarina of Time's engine, assets, etc.

In that regard it appears to be quite like Tri Force Heroes, with the distinction being that Majora's Mask actually became more different from Ocarina than originally planned as time went on,* whereas this game was apparently a multiplayer-first game from the get go (admittedly I'm not 100% sure about that though). I think that's what spemanig might have meant in his comments, but it's ambiguous enough that I'm not completely sure.

*The concept of the big distinguishing feature, the three-day cycle, entered early in development, but only because another developer already had that idea ready to use and it was apparently decided that using the cycle would cut down on the amount of things that would need to be developed. Which is an...optimistic...conclusion to reach, in my opinion.

LuckyTrouble said:

So, the same Link as ALBW. What does Goodnightmoon has to say about this?

And even so, it's a mainline title and in the timeline. Uh uh uh...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

I think at 20, no would would be complaining, haha, but that would be very unlikely to happen with Nintendo... : X

Like I said, I think it should have been DLC, not a stand alone game. I honestly think the only reason it is is because they wanted to have titles to show at E3. Almost everything they showed at E3 recyles assets from older games. The reason is obvious.

Honestly, depending on how much content is in the game, I feel like the game acting as dlc would be too big, if it packs a large amount of levels. I feel it is warranted as a standalone downloadable game or as an expansion, like Super Luigi Bros U, which so also happens to be 20 USDs... o:

Go figure.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Pavolink said:

So, we can safely conclude we're on a mainline Zelda games decadence?

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
LuckyTrouble said:

That´s new, little time ago Shikata said

"“The king is a firm believer in this legend, in this prophecy that exists within their kingdom, of three heroes that come together to form a totem. The king understands from this legend that describes the true hero as someone with these long sideburns and this particular hair style and these long ears. So the king from amongst these people is able to find the correct ones. The people who meet his conditions are the true heroes.”

So basically he is saying that the heroes are just people that happens to look like the true hero, and that makes sense with the dialogues in the game. Now they are saying one of those 3 links is the same from ALBW wich does not makes sense since who are the other 2 then? 

Anyway my point of what I said stays the same, is an ambiguous trio where everybody is link but no one is and the princess is not Zelda. Not that any of this matters though,  seeing someone offended because you can dress the main character as a woman on a game like this is still funny wether is Link or not.

Goodnightmoon said:

Now they are saying one of those 3 links is the same from ALBW wich does not makes sense since who are the other 2 then?

Hink and Zink, from the kingdoms of Siderule and Midrule, respectively.

Obviously.

noname2200 said:
DivinePaladin said:

MM started as an expansion, but through (effectively) a bet became its own game. TFH was always intended to use the engine for LBW without adding too much besides multiplayer.

As Wright points out, that's not entirely true. The Iwata Asks segment on Majora's Mask makes it clear they intended from the get go to make a game that largely recycled Ocarina of Time's engine, assets, etc.

In that regard it appears to be quite like Tri Force Heroes, with the distinction being that Majora's Mask actually became more different from Ocarina than originally planned as time went on,* whereas this game was apparently a multiplayer-first game from the get go (admittedly I'm not 100% sure about that though). I think that's what spemanig might have meant in his comments, but it's ambiguous enough that I'm not completely sure.

*The concept of the big distinguishing feature, the three-day cycle, entered early in development, but only because another developer already had that idea ready to use and it was apparently decided that using the cycle would cut down on the amount of things that would need to be developed. Which is an...optimistic...conclusion to reach, in my opinion.

MM itself was always planned as a new game, yes, but recall that initially the plan was for a Zelda on the DD, which was more or less a Master Quest. The usage of the assets, according to somebody actually involved (I will take Aonuma's word over somebody uninvolved with the game, with all due respect to Iwata), was purely a design choice. After all, to paraphrase Aonuma, he challenged Miyamoto's initial request for Zelda Gaiden because he felt the OoT dungeons were perfect/impossible to improve as it was. 

That said, mind you, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with spemanig's point when I elaborated. MM is my favorite Zelda game, but it's pretty much exactly what TFH is except to a greater extent (and also because it was developed by the main team).

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:

The usage of the assets, according to somebody actually involved (I will take Aonuma's word over somebody uninvolved with the game, with all due respect to Iwata), was purely a design choice.

Hmm, I might just be misunderstanding you here, but one of the persons who said the reuse of assets was a necessity instead of a choice was Aonouma.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/0

Iwata:    First let's start by asking you about the Nintendo 64 version. If I remember correctly, the development for Majora's Mask began when somebody requested that it be made in one year.  

Aonuma:   You're right. Since we already made The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time2, we had 3D models that we invested a lot of time in to build. This all started by (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san asking whether we could make a game in one year if we repurpose the models. But we were already talking about trying to make Master Quest3 for Nintendo 64DD4.

Essentially, the way I read it Majora's Mask was always distinct from Master Quest, but it would only be allowed to proceed if they recycled Ocarina of Time stuff so as to pop it out in a year. In that sense, it really does seem to be a cousin to Tri Force Heroes. Both games were part of a deliberate attempt to reuse one game to quickly pump out another, and while both games are quite distinct from their predecessor I'd argue with confidence that Tri Force Heroes set out to be more different from its origin than Majora's Mask did.*

*Not a slam against Majora's though. I <3 that game...

Cloudman said:

Honestly, depending on how much content is in the game, I feel like the game acting as dlc would be too big, if it packs a large amount of levels. I feel it is warranted as a standalone downloadable game or as an expansion, like Super Luigi Bros U, which so also happens to be 20 USDs... o:

Go figure.

I was actually thinking specifically of NSLU when I said expansion. $20 of quality.