By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

rolltide101x said:
Snoopy said:

Ok, when 2016 roles by you will see.

We have been hearing that for pushing 3 years now lol

Not specfically about Crackdown but about the Cloud in general. It is not going to make much of a difference....

Cloudness Awaits.

Around the Network

My terrible AT&T uverse says no way to this cloud gaming.

I'm glad some companies try to push technologies regardless of what some people say otherwise we would still be playing on 16bits cartridges.

CDs were overlooked because they had loading, disc read errors and scratching. At first people thought they were good only for FMV games which was kind of bad but it also brought a lot of advantages later on.

Internet was overlooked because connections weren't always good enough and you had to pay extra to play (Xbox Live, SegaNet) but it brought bigger multiplayer games and new content.

HDDs were also overlooked. I remember people used to say HDDs were pointless because consoles were not PCs. and blablabla... glad we have those now.

To me cloud computing is just another tool for devs and yes people will try hard to convince you you don't need it, internet connections aren't good enough and many reasons... history repeats again and again.

Can't wait to see how this tech changes gaming for the better, Crackdown is just an example.

Jazz2K said:
I'm glad some companies try to push technologies regardless of what some people say otherwise we would still be playing on 16bits cartridges.

CDs were overlooked because they had loading, disc read errors and scratching. At first people thought they were good only for FMV games which was kind of bad but it also brought a lot of advantages later on.

Internet was overlooked because connections weren't always good enough and you had to pay extra to play (Xbox Live, SegaNet) but it brought bigger multiplayer games and new content.

HDDs were also overlooked. I remember people used to say HDDs were pointless because consoles were not PCs. and blablabla... glad we have those now.

To me cloud computing is just another tool for devs and yes people will try hard to convince you you don't need it, internet connections aren't good enough and many reasons... history repeats again and again.

Can't wait to see how this tech changes gaming for the better, Crackdown is just an example.

You forget a lot of things that didn't catch on in console gaming. And CD, internet and HDDs were not overlooked. I can't remember anyone saying CDs were useless for gaming, online gaming unwanted or HDDs pointless compared to the crappy memory cards. I do remember people complaining about the 360 arcade being a step backwards compared to the xbox.

The thing with cloud computing as it is presented atm is that it will be obsolete when internet connections are good enough. Why bother with a complicated solution when you can play the game on a remote server on any device. CloudEngines are the next Unreal engines, yet not to add cpu power to consoles, but to ease development of games that run entirely in the cloud.
Crackdown is the dial up equivalent intermetiate step towards the next step in game streaming.

SvennoJ said:
Jazz2K said:

You forget a lot of things that didn't catch on in console gaming. And CD, internet and HDDs were not overlooked. I can't remember anyone saying CDs were useless for gaming, online gaming unwanted or HDDs pointless compared to the crappy memory cards. I do remember people complaining about the 360 arcade being a step backwards compared to the xbox.

The thing with cloud computing as it is presented atm is that it will be obsolete when internet connections are good enough. Why bother with a complicated solution when you can play the game on a remote server on any device. CloudEngines are the next Unreal engines, yet not to add cpu power to consoles, but to ease development of games that run entirely in the cloud.
Crackdown is the dial up equivalent intermetiate step towards the next step in game streaming.

You would go back when both Turbo Duo and Sega CD were introduced people kept moaning about loading and how cartridges should never go. Also long load times on both Philips CDi and 3D0 kept consumers away not to mention the cost of those new technologies. It wasn't until Playstation came out heck even the mighty N64 kept the carttridges because Nintendo thought loading was game breaking.

HDDs were also overlooked back when the Dreamcast was supposed to get some addon and how the first Xbox looked like a PC for having an HDD... it was all over the place on internet and magazines.

I don't see the point of downplaying Cloudgine tech but wanting games to completely stream over the internet... 

Around the Network
Jazz2K said:

You would go back when both Turbo Duo and Sega CD were introduced people kept moaning about loading and how cartridges should never go. Also long load times on both Philips CDi and 3D0 kept consumers away not to mention the cost of those new technologies. It wasn't until Playstation came out heck even the mighty N64 kept the carttridges because Nintendo thought loading was game breaking.

HDDs were also overlooked back when the Dreamcast was supposed to get some addon and how the first Xbox looked like a PC for having an HDD... it was all over the place on internet and magazines.

I don't see the point of downplaying Cloudgine tech but wanting games to completely stream over the internet... 

Ah, I didn't get into console gaming until the ps1. Before that it was exciting times with the first cd players for pc, cd's still loaded in trays, and indeed very slow to load data. My previous experience with consoles was loading from casette tapes :)

Anyway I don't personally want game streaming over the internet. But from a software dev background I don't see the "Cloud power: Unlimited CPU - Future of games" have any real future. The kind of split real time processing between client and cloud they are promoting is not practical. Therefore I see it as a mere learning excercise on the way to full on game streaming. Which is, I'm afraid, the real future of games. (AAA games anyway)

Snoopy said:

It is getting to the point that complaining about the internet for console is like complaining you need electricity to power your console. Internet is getting more and more reliable ,available and faster. Besides, most games now do require internet or you will be missing out on a lot (multiplayer, dlc, patches, ect).

Pretty much this.

'The Cloud' for gaming started with the online version of Halo on the Original Xbox.  Became much bigger say on the PC with something like World of Warcraft. It's just been added to ever since.

Just like the original Xbox was criticised for not haveing a modem, but requiring a fast internet connetion - more advanced than most people had.  Microsoft is catering to the ones who want more advanced connections and features.

I'm sure Blockbuster is still laughing about the 'Netflix Cloud for movies.'

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Does not compare to Blast Processing.

Zappykins said:
Snoopy said:

It is getting to the point that complaining about the internet for console is like complaining you need electricity to power your console. Internet is getting more and more reliable ,available and faster. Besides, most games now do require internet or you will be missing out on a lot (multiplayer, dlc, patches, ect).

Pretty much this.

'The Cloud' for gaming started with the online version of Halo on the Original Xbox.  Became much bigger say on the PC with something like World of Warcraft. It's just been added to ever since.

Just like the original Xbox was criticised for not haveing a modem, but requiring a fast internet connetion - more advanced than most people had.  Microsoft is catering to the ones who want more advanced connections and features.

I'm sure Blockbuster is still laughing about the 'Netflix Cloud for movies.'

That's a entirely different situation. Blockbuster was price gauging people on movie rentals and when much cheaper & better alternatives (netflix and redbox) came around, it ruined blockbuster. 

"Cloud" tech would work well with online gaming as it is now and will be in the future but not with single player games. If devs kept using the tech, eventually entire games will be streamed from the cloud and that's online only/ more restrictive DRM with single player games. It's not progression when you take two steps back for every one step forward.

SvennoJ said:
Jazz2K said:

Ah, I didn't get into console gaming until the ps1. Before that it was exciting times with the first cd players for pc, cd's still loaded in trays, and indeed very slow to load data. My previous experience with consoles was loading from casette tapes :)

Anyway I don't personally want game streaming over the internet. But from a software dev background I don't see the "Cloud power: Unlimited CPU - Future of games" have any real future. The kind of split real time processing between client and cloud they are promoting is not practical. Therefore I see it as a mere learning excercise on the way to full on game streaming. Which is, I'm afraid, the real future of games. (AAA games anyway)

Valid point and yes unfortunately I think that's where we are heading. But at the same time it might be cheaper to have access to games this way since having to buy a console won't be necessary and games would always make use of the latest technology.