By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Would Be Your Reaction If Sony Announced "True" PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

My reaction would be amazement at how Sony's engineers managed to do something that's literally impossible with the PS4's current hardware.

And after that, I wouldn't use the feature. I don't know what reason I would have to play PS3 games on PS4 instead of PS3.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
What I read at neogaf that PS3's CPU is really powerful. So much so that its difficult for PS4 to emulate it; since a generation gap in power is needed. But if they manage it then it will be awesome.

Its not that simple. Let me complicated it for you.

I don't have specs, but I don't need those I have logic.

A common misconception of CPU's is the correlation between power and speed (clock rate). Clock rate only increases power, if the faster cpu executes more instructions in the same amount of time as the slower one. This is hard because complex instructions typically take more time.

The PS3 cpu was not only fast, but able to run complex instructions fast cause of proprietary shit or something.

Point is, trying to emulate that is going to take a cpu that is basically just as fast or at least specialized, a near impossible task when also trying to change the architecture, decent emulation of PS3 games would need a top tier PC, in a console its a pipe dream.

However, emulation is not the only way for backwards compatibility, XB1's backwards compatibility for instance, is not emulation.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Don't care. If I want to play PS3 games, I will play them on my PS3.

"What if the PS4 had PS3 BC..." threads are just as annoying as the "the NX rumor" threads. First of all, I played all of the PS3 games that I wanted to and Frankly, I'm burnt out on PS3 games. I want new games to play. It's a redundant feature. The PS4 is not designed to be BC with the PS3. It's too damn late to add that feature.

My reaction if sony announced true PS3 BC for the PS4 would be to soccer kick repeatedly into the balls whoever made the decision to add it.

I would be like: that's nice but let me know more about the other PS5 features.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Given that the CellBBE is faster at many things than the PS4 CPU, my reaction would be disbelief.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I would redownload my digital games and probably play them more than any PS4 game I own.

I look forward to the day when you comment on Sony thread without taking a jab.

I don't see it happening given the high price they still sell PS3 , it seems it has high production costs.
And i don't think so PS4 is powerful enough to emulate with software PS3.(Also PS3 has weird architecture with that custom cell proccessor)

Tachikoma said:

Given that the CellBBE is faster at many things than the PS4 CPU, my reaction would be disbelief.

So PS3's Cell Broadband Engine is 4Ghz and the PS4's is 1.6Ghz? So I guess that's why Sony wasn't concentrating so much on BC, right?

Well, according to Sony, X number of PS4 owners never owned a PS3. Those guys can do what I did when I got a 360--go back and play some of the great games they missed. Conker Live and Reloaded got more play than 90% of my actual 360 games.

My reaction would be, meh. No need for it.