By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Would Be Your Reaction If Sony Announced "True" PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

Would be mine...

Around the Network

I would have to reactions to that news:

1. Surprise that they managed to make it work.

2. Confusion a to why they bothered.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAPPEN MOVE ON

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

daredevil.shark said:
What I read at neogaf that PS3's CPU is really powerful. So much so that its difficult for PS4 to emulate it; since a generation gap in power is needed. But if they manage it then it will be awesome.

Why do you need GAF for that?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
daredevil.shark said:
What I read at neogaf that PS3's CPU is really powerful. So much so that its difficult for PS4 to emulate it; since a generation gap in power is needed. But if they manage it then it will be awesome.

However, emulation is not the only way for backwards compatibility, XB1's backwards compatibility for instance, is not emulation.

But what is it then?

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:
rolltide101x said:

You missed the boat man.... Emulating the PS3 GPU mean emulating the PS3 architecture. The PS4 GPU COULD NOT EMULATE the PS3 GPU in the PS3's native language.....

No I didn't miss anything, I understand the issues fully here, through extensive research on the subject.

You're not giving any arguments that support your stance on this subject, just insisting you're right, because you're right, it's circular non-logic.

As I said before the RSX is a cut down 7800 GTX, this is a standard NVidia PC GPU, which is substantially weaker than what's in PS4, emulating an NVidia GPU, with a substantially more powerful AMD one isn't hard to do, the tech may be somewhat different, but it's not massively exotic, if anything it's nothing more than a nusance issue, one that can be solved very easily, hell the original XBox had an Nvidia GPU, yet 360 had an ATI one, 360 could still run the OG XBox games when they were patched.

PS4 doesn't need to run PS3 games in their native language on PS4, it only needs to translate RISC and ISA code into X86 and as I said before that solves the language problem.

The next issue is that PS3's Cell processor is a mash up of a CPU and Floating Point hardware, the Floating Point math can be handled by PS4's GPU.

As for the PowerPC tech, 360 has 3X the cores compared to PS3, so PS4 has ample CPU hardware to deal with this side of the technical issues.

I've explained every area here, PS4 can be made to run a virtual PS3 on it's hardware and thus play PS3 games, it only needs for Sony to set up a team of programmers to solve these technical issues and they could definitely get PS3 games up and running well on PS4. You're not giving any technical explanations for why this cannot be done, I on the other hand have given a technical explanation of how it's definitely achievable.

There is a lot more than just "translating" instructions. Look how "far" OGXBOX emulation has come and this means a machine very similar to a PC. You also have to emulate the "system", system calls and so on which also eat away from performance you already don't have. Of course Sony can write a PS3 emulator but they would be lucky if they can get a 2d game to run at 20fps.

JustBeingReal said:
To the people claiming that it's impossible to run PS3 games on PS4, you're really not providing any reasons why, you're just making unsupported claims.

In reality the issues involved are the programming languages used by PS3 (RISC in PPC and ISA on it's SPEs) and location where certain tasks are processed.
Translating RISC/ISA to CISC isn't impossible, it's no different than translating one language to another.

PS3's Power PC unit in the Cell Broadband Engine is only a single 2 threaded core, the 360's is 3X more powerful than PS3's PPC, yet XB1 has no issues in handling that code, this would be even easier for PS4, because it's only a single core's worth of work.
Code that runs on SPEs can be moved over to PS4's GPU using a virtual machine, translated from ISA to CISC.

Microsoft has already shown with their 360 BC that an NVidia GPU can be emulated easily by an ATI GPU, since RSX is a very weak NVidia GPU roughly a decade old at this point it could easily be emulated by modern AMD GPU technology.

Designing a virtual machine to do all of this isn't impossible, it would just require Sony to dedicate the programming resources to tackling each problem.

You can say anything is impossible if you're unwilling to try to tackle the task, but really when you break down each issue it becomes perfectly feasible that they can be resolved.

What the hell are you talking about? RISC and ISA? These have two seperate meanings!

RISC and CISC are two "competing" words which nowadays also mean close to nothing anymore. ISA is "instruction set architecture" which is meant to describe what machine you are using. eg. MIPS, PA-RISC, x86-64, PPC, SPARC. It just describes the machine language you can use to instruct a processor.

Your breakdown relies on your understanding how tech works and if you start by false assumptions, you can prove anything.

I would still play PS3 games on PS3, because emulators tend to have massive bugs, especially when they are as complicated as this one would be. Also, I don't buy consoles to play old games, I buy them to play the new games and just keep the old consoles. I never understood why BC is such a big deal. Just stop selling your stuff all the time and you're good!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.