By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Would Be Your Reaction If Sony Announced "True" PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

Nobody cares.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I wouldnt give a shit. I got ps4, yes, but i kept the ps3 and we use it as a dvd/bluray player.

This would be my reaction

archer9234 said:

I think it would sell reasonably well if they released it but I think it is the software development time and the fact they really do not want you on PS3 games anyway that is keeping them from doing that

No matter the reasons Sony has obviously thought of that idea and decided it would not be a good decision for them moving forward

By that logic. It should of been in the PS4, at the start. Somehow buying PS3 games stops you from buying UC4? Why aren't the PS3 games and system pulled already. It also doesn't stop remaster collections from being done. 'Cause your BC mode doesn't give you 1080p 60fps in Uncharted 1-3. And doesn't clean up the player models. It be like saying if I stuck my RE1 GC copy into my Wii U, it was identical to the HD port Capcom made. By it just upscaling the game.

If the PS4 would have been BC from day 1 it would have costed quite a few PS4 games that were purchased to not have been purchased. There is no doubt about that.

rolltide101x said:
archer9234 said:

I think it would sell reasonably well if they released it but I think it is the software development time and the fact they really do not want you on PS3 games anyway that is keeping them from doing that

No matter the reasons Sony has obviously thought of that idea and decided it would not be a good decision for them moving forward

By that logic. It should of been in the PS4, at the start. Somehow buying PS3 games stops you from buying UC4? Why aren't the PS3 games and system pulled already. It also doesn't stop remaster collections from being done. 'Cause your BC mode doesn't give you 1080p 60fps in Uncharted 1-3. And doesn't clean up the player models. It be like saying if I stuck my RE1 GC copy into my Wii U, it was identical to the HD port Capcom made. By it just upscaling the game.

If the PS4 would have been BC from day 1 it would have costed quite a few PS4 games that were purchased to not have been purchased. There is no doubt about that.

I would bet $5. The Last of US Remaster still would of been made and sold like it did. If BC was in the system. People care that hard about real 1080p 60fps. It's why companies are screwed up as it is now.

Around the Network

I would be surprised... and most likely won't use it beyond maybe checking out GT6. I still have my ps3 hooked up, but don't use it for games anymore. I did want to play GT6 again a few weeks ago, but after a 3 hour update I had forgotten about it again.

Getting PS3 games to run on PS4 isn't impossible, it's just a very complicated process and would require a fair amount of work.

1st of all you have to deal with the core issues that the PPC in PS3 uses RISC assembly language and the SPEs use it's own custom assembly language which is called ISA.
The code that runs on both of those processors in PS3 would need to be re-written or recognized as X86 on PS4.

PS3's SPE code could be offloaded to PS4's GPU in Backwards Compatibility, leaving a substantial amount of overhead CPU available for any tasks that need to deal with PowerPC processes.
PS4's GPU is substantially more powerful than the RSX.

Overall Sony could very likely write an emulation environment, basically a virtual PS3 to run on PS4's SOC.
Emulation handled in this way isn't the only possibility, Sony could re-write each game that users request, place a patch on servers for users to download when they're connected to the internet, though this is likely the more time consuming possibility.
I don't see why The ICE Team or some other development team that is familiar with PS3 and PS4 hardware, OS and APIs in both systems couldn't make a truly virtual PS3 that can run on PS4, it all just depends on whether Sony wants to make this work or provide the resources to make it happen.

Backwards Compatibility doesn't get in the way of PS Now, because the whole idea of PSNow is to be used as a rental service for people that don't own all of the games in the PS3's library or even for people that never owned a PS3 in the first place.

BC could allow Sony to sell more PS3 games, if people want a superior experience then the remasters and remakes will also sell, so really it's all money for Sony.

As for my reaction, I'd be impressed that Sony were willing to put the resources into this, though it's not impossible despite what some claim about this.

Mostly indifference, but would at least have an excuse to pull a few PS3 games out of storage.

I pretty much made a point of transitioning off the PS3 back in 2013 as far as new games go making the PS3 nothing more than a retro gaming system for me today.

That said, I do have two PS3s with HDDs loaded with games installed, yet they're in storage which confirms I'm over the platform similar to the way I stopped playing PS2 games on the CECH-A01 about 2-3 years into the PS3 product life cycle.

I know some people who would want that, but personally, i'm fine with just playing PS3 games on my PS3 :P

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Largely a waste of resources to do individual compatibility porting of PS3 games given SCE already invested in PSNow and that most of the biggest PS3 games are seeing PS4 remasters.

Naturally, this is not ideal for consumers like myself who have close to a hundred PS3 retail games and over a hundred more on my PSN account, but it's not as though I play any of those old games anymore. It just means I need to keep at least one working PS3 in storage for retro gaming.