By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Would Be Your Reaction If Sony Announced "True" PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

For it to have a prayer of working, they would have to get some miraculous SDKs to recompile the games into a manner that would work on the Jaguar/GCN architecture. Remember, the Cell was quite clearly stronger than the X360 CPU, it was just a completely ludicrous PITA to utilize and optimize for.

So it would have to be a game by game, almost 'remaster' style "backwards compatibility".

Pure emulation would be absolutely impossible to manage and keep a solid framerate, unless maybe they did some AMAZING work with async GPU compute. Because the Jaguar is sheer garbage at IPC.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

It's not impossible and it wouldn't cost nearly that much. The tech behind PS1 and PS2 is ARCHAIC and the PS3 tech is 10 years old. The whole thing about PS2 BC being cut from PS3 to save money was a lie and one alot of people bought into.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing Sony or some Sony hater, but I'm not. I just believe holding companies to their word and Sony said BC would live on forever. 

If you think it is possible for a PS4 to play PS3 games then I do not know what to tell you. PS1 and PS2 is possible though

johnsobas said:
They should give people the option for PS1-PS3 BC through some kind of limited edition system, and yea i understand it might cost $700. The paid online is still a deal breaker for me, although i might get the PS4 to play offline only at some point.

I agree with this, I mentioned it earlier in the thread apparently Sony just does not think it will be profitable

Why does anyone care about playing old games on their next gen console? This is coming from a guy who still plays his PS3. I just, you know, use my PS3 for that. It works just fine. I don't even think most people use the backwards compatibility function very much at all if it's in the console. Ultimately it's a waste of resource, not to mention it's probably impossible for Sony to do it considering the different architectures of the machines.

That being said, I will say that Sony has done an absolutely terrible job with PS Now. That could have been a good solution to backwards compatibility and more, but the pricing and them making you pay for games you already own is just ridiculous. At the very least these games should have been heavily discounted, but that's not possible since most games aren't available on the catalog, even popular ones from last gen.

AlfredoTurkey said:
rolltide101x said:

You realize that is 100% impossible right? The only way to give the PS4 BC is to put a PS3 inside a PS4. I really do not think it would have been a terrible idea to make a larger 600$ PS4 with PS3 BC but obviously they did not think it would be profitable

It's not impossible and it wouldn't cost nearly that much. The tech behind PS1 and PS2 is ARCHAIC and the PS3 tech is 10 years old. The whole thing about PS2 BC being cut from PS3 to save money was a lie and one alot of people bought into.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing Sony or some Sony hater, but I'm not. I just believe holding companies to their word and Sony said BC would live on forever. 

PS1 and PS2 BC would be no problem, but PS3 emulation on a PS4 won't happen, ever. 

The PS3's CPU is better and faster than both the PS4's and the XBO's CPU, it simply wouldn't work.

Walnufsnir's post on why it's impossible:

"It isn't. Well, it is but not as reasonable speeds. You have to emulate 6 cell cores which match the six cores from the jaguar available on PS4. The Cell itself is still faster or let's say at the same speed. So emulation would have to 1:1 in terms of speed which is impossible. Than you have to emulate the PPC core on another core of the jaguar which is not even fast enough to emulate a cell core so the no time left would have to emulate the PPC core.

So just from the CPU point of view, it is not possible."

It can not be done.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
johnsobas said:
They should give people the option for PS1-PS3 BC through some kind of limited edition system, and yea i understand it might cost $700. The paid online is still a deal breaker for me, although i might get the PS4 to play offline only at some point.

I agree with this, I mentioned it earlier in the thread apparently Sony just does not think it will be profitable

Yeah. And it wouldn't. Money is the ultimate talker. When people see the higher cost price, they aren't gonna go for it. Here's the thing. People just want things done. Ignoring what has to be done to get there. For example, a classic show remastered in HD. Take, I don't know, Ducktales. Everyone who's a fan of the show would be happy it gets done. But won't pay the higher price it requires for it to happen. Because the market for Ducktales in HD is gonna be some really, really small sales number. So they aren't gonna do it. The DVD sales went to crap. And they never finished it off. People asking for a remaster... Disney isn't in it for the emotional connections.

WIth PS3 BC. It requires hardware BC. Software emulation, the cheapo route can't be acomplished. And XBOX's way is still a remasters port work. They're recompliling game by games stuff. And then letting you get the half port, for free. So it's only benefiting the consumer. Think of it like Nintendo's annoying pay $2 to convert your Wii VC file to Wii U. Same fee thing. But only half way. You have a portion of people who like to play their old games. But kept their systems. They're out of the sales. Then, the people who already have a PS4, are out of the sales. So you have this small pot to begin with, cut into 3rds. Lose lose situation.

archer9234 said:

Yeah. And it wouldn't. Money is the ultimate talker. When people see the higher cost price, they aren't gonna go for it. Here's the thing. People just want things done. Ignoring what has to be done to get there. For example, a classic show remastered in HD. Take, I don't know, Ducktales. Everyone who's a fan of the show would be happy it gets done. But won't pay the higher price it requires for it to happen. Because the market for Ducktales in HD is gonna be some really, really small sales number. So they aren't gonna do it. The DVD sales went to crap. And they never finished it off. People asking for a remaster... Disney isn't in it for the emotional connections.

WIth PS3 BC. It requires hardware BC. Software emulation, the cheapo route can't be acomplished. And XBOX's way is still a remasters port work. But only half way. You have a portion of people who like to play their old games. But kept their systems. They ain't gonna buy it. Then, the people who already have a PS4, ain't gonna buy it. So you have this small pot to begin with, cut into 3rds. Lose lose situation.

I think it would sell reasonably well if they released it but I think it is the software development time and the fact they really do not want you on PS3 games anyway that is keeping them from doing that

No matter the reasons Sony has obviously thought of that idea and decided it would not be a good decision for them moving forward

rolltide101x said:
archer9234 said:

WIth PS3 BC. It requires hardware BC. Software emulation, the cheapo route can't be acomplished. And XBOX's way is still a remasters port work. But only half way. You have a portion of people who like to play their old games. But kept their systems. They ain't gonna buy it. Then, the people who already have a PS4, ain't gonna buy it. So you have this small pot to begin with, cut into 3rds. Lose lose situation.

I think it would sell reasonably well if they released it but I think it is the software development time and the fact they really do not want you on PS3 games anyway that is keeping them from doing that

No matter the reasons Sony has obviously thought of that idea and decided it would not be a good decision for them moving forward

By that logic. It should of been in the PS4, at the start. Somehow buying PS3 games stops you from buying UC4? Why aren't the PS3 games and system pulled already. It also doesn't stop remaster collections from being done. 'Cause your BC mode doesn't give you 1080p 60fps in Uncharted 1-3. And doesn't clean up the player models. It be like saying if I stuck my RE1 GC copy into my Wii U, it was identical to the HD port Capcom made. By it just upscaling the game.

*Yawn*?

I currently have my PS3 and PS4 hooked up in the same room so it wouldn't affect me. I probably wouldn't sell my PS3 if the PS4 got BC either.