By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Would Be Your Reaction If Sony Announced "True" PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

I would congratulate the new owners on their purchase.

Around the Network

Meh.

Too little too late. This gen is too far in for me to care about playing ps3 games. Too many good games for the ps4 coming out.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I'd probably unplug my PS3. It's easier to record footage and gameplay off of PS4, and the slight in-house upres would only help things. Not that I don't love my PS3, but I have little reason to keep it actually plugged in then, except to play my disc PS1 games without buying a memory card.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

It is not possible with the current PS4 model, which means they would have to create a new model. And as I already have a PS4 I would not be lining up for the B/C PS4, which would probably come with at least a $100 premium over the base model.

In the end I think full B/C with PS3 would be a waste of time and effort even if conceptually it would be a cool thing to do. What I would rather have Sony announce is that they are making a multi-generational commitment to sticking with this current architecture, which means that B/C will be baked in for the future. Like PC the essence of future generations is just superior hardware but same basic deign and operating system.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

rolltide101x said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Considering Sony said before the launch of PS3 "BC will continue on forever'... I would consider it par for the course. Sony should have kept their word to begin with. That is one of the things that SOLD the PS2. Sony is the company that made BC popular in modern console gaming.

I think PS4 should have native PS1,PS2 and PS3 BC. Next gen, their console should have native, disc based PS1, PS2,PS3 and PS4 gaming. Just like they promised.

You realize that is 100% impossible right? The only way to give the PS4 BC is to put a PS3 inside a PS4. I really do not think it would have been a terrible idea to make a larger 600$ PS4 with PS3 BC but obviously they did not think it would be profitable

It's not impossible and it wouldn't cost nearly that much. The tech behind PS1 and PS2 is ARCHAIC and the PS3 tech is 10 years old. The whole thing about PS2 BC being cut from PS3 to save money was a lie and one alot of people bought into.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing Sony or some Sony hater, but I'm not. I just believe holding companies to their word and Sony said BC would live on forever. 

Around the Network
Zoombael said:

AlfredoTurkey said:
Considering Sony said before the launch of PS3 "BC will continue on forever'... I would consider it par for the course. Sony should have kept their word to begin with. That is one of the things that SOLD the PS2. Sony is the company that made BC popular in modern console gaming.

I think PS4 should have native PS1,PS2 and PS3 BC. Next gen, their console should have native, disc based PS1, PS2,PS3 and PS4 gaming. Just like they promised.

and while they re at it sony should include a personal buttler for every gamer. serving cool beverages and snacks while playing games. always there to be your offline game buddy, cooperative or competitive (who lets you win most of the time no matter how much you suck). who motivates you in times of dark souls and fetches your controller in case it 'accidentally' fell to the ground. not only that, but an allrounder when it comes to fixing your hardware and peripheral.

and all that for the price of just 9.99. for the gamers...

Ken Kutargai "PSone runs on the PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever."

If they were going to stop doing it, they shouldnt have promised otherwise. Just because you have decided to tolerate it, that doesn't mean you should blame me for being upset about being lied to.

At first I would be shocked, the architecture is just so radically different that this is something I would not expect to happen. It would also probably be enough for me to replace my ps3 with a ps4 next year and be on next gen for both xbox and ps finally.

AlfredoTurkey said:
rolltide101x said:

You realize that is 100% impossible right? The only way to give the PS4 BC is to put a PS3 inside a PS4. I really do not think it would have been a terrible idea to make a larger 600$ PS4 with PS3 BC but obviously they did not think it would be profitable

It's not impossible and it wouldn't cost nearly that much. The tech behind PS1 and PS2 is ARCHAIC and the PS3 tech is 10 years old. The whole thing about PS2 BC being cut from PS3 to save money was a lie and one alot of people bought into.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing Sony or some Sony hater, but I'm not. I just believe holding companies to their word and Sony said BC would live on forever. 

Ok, then explain why the original 60g PS3 circuit board, had the emotion engine on it:

Left hand side, the large silver chip, clearly reads emotion engine + Graphics Synthesizer,  to the right you see the RSX, and to the right of that the Cell.  Only emotion engine that Sony has ever made, and called 'emotion engine' is the CPU for the PS2, ironically enough the GPU for the PS2 was called...you guessed it the 'Graphics Synthesizer'.

Star Wipe: The More you Know.

And yes, this is a picture from the Wikipedia website, however, if that's not good enough I can take a picture of the 60g board sitting about a foot and a half from me.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Zoombael said:

AlfredoTurkey said:

and while they re at it sony should include a personal buttler for every gamer. serving cool beverages and snacks while playing games. always there to be your offline game buddy, cooperative or competitive (who lets you win most of the time no matter how much you suck). who motivates you in times of dark souls and fetches your controller in case it 'accidentally' fell to the ground. not only that, but an allrounder when it comes to fixing your hardware and peripheral.

and all that for the price of just 9.99. for the gamers...

Ken Kutargai "PSone runs on the PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever."

If they were going to stop doing it, they shouldnt have promised otherwise. Just because you have decided to tolerate it, that doesn't mean you should blame me for being upset about 

Where is the full interview? Best I could find in something from 2003, over 3 years before the ps3 even came out and when it came out it was backwards comparable, after losing billions and the ps3 was selling less than the ps2 was selling after launch, I don't find it reasonable to hold one man's possible poorly translated statements against an entire company. 

I hope you hold yourself to the same high standard and never say anything you'd have to take back no matter how circumstances change.

I dont see how its a double standard. People can care about playback of PS3 games without caring about playback of X360 games. I have about 150 PS3 games and 15 X360 games.