By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMT IV: Final used fan feedback from IV to make a better game. Goal is to make it the best RPG on the 3DS.

Lots they could touch up on. I've recently tried getting back into SMTIV after I stopped a while ago (frankly, it was pretty terrible and I wasn't having any fun). I can see the fine split between Persona and SMT, and while I understand they want them to be separate, a lot could be learned from more modern and fleshed out mechanics.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

When you say map, you mean this, right?

Like the other person said, I too found myself having to look at a guide more than once, just to figure out how to get from one place to another.  Even when I've been there before. This is partially due to enemy encounters, preventing you from exploring in peace and quiet, and because many areas had multiple exits. Even though I've been to Tokyo irl, and know that Roppongi is to the east of Shibuya or Ikebukuro is north of Shinjuku, that rarely helped me find my way there. Because you have to go through exit #3 from Tokyo station, and then you have to go down a tunnel and emerge on the other side, etc.
The map was a mess, and it didn't feel intuitive. It often felt like a maze instead. The world map music was amazing though.

Yeah, I hope that map is gone. Also, just want to clear a mistake. They never directly said they were fixing the map. I was remembering wrong because of how much it's complained about.

Yeah, when I say map, I mean that. I hope they scrap it completely in favor of a real, interconected overworld.

spemanig said:
Salnax said:

Wishlist

• Incorporate Morality into Gameplay
  • Further Develop SMT4's four-way morality (Law vs Chaos and Hope vs Despair)

Morality was the worst part about SMT4. The game would be better without morality at all. Seriously, that's what fucked up like 60% of the game's problems. The stupid Law vs. Chaos gimmick.

I feel that the Morality should have been handled better, but is also necessary. Thematically, the conflict of Lawful Angels vs the Chaotic Lucifer and Co is what makes the story work. Both factions of supernatural beings have common traits with Humanity, but are largely incompatible with human welfare. Hence, humans are screwed by default when either side wins.And since that's an integral part of the story, it should connect to gameplay.

Perhaps the ideal solution is to have two or more good endings, with one being closer to Law and the other Chaos. Good endings take more work to reach of course, and even the good endings include unfortunate sacrifices, but don't necessarily refute both sides of the conflict.

As for gameplay integration, I'm thinking a bit about Strange Journey and some Western RPG's. Strange Journey made morality a factor when recruiting demons, team dynamics, and conversation options. You could also include a more basic faction system that intertwines with various groups. Sticking specifically with SMT4 for example, the quests and actions you complete could affect how not only the two recurring factions interact with you, but also human and non-aligned demonic groups like the Kingdom of Mikado, Ashura Kai, Ring of Gaea, various Neighborhoods in Tokyo, and the Buddhist, Hindu, Greek, Norse, and Japanese pantheons.

Love and tolerate.

So..... is it actually a complete new game that uses SMTIV settings, but with a new storyline and new characters?
Great, I want it.

Rogerioandrade said:
So..... is it actually a complete new game that uses SMTIV settings, but with a new storyline and new characters?
Great, I want it.

Yeah. It's set in the same world and place as SMT IV, and that's the only thing that's the same. Otherwise, it's basically an entirely new game. Kinda like Black/White and Black/White2.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:

Lots they could touch up on. I've recently tried getting back into SMTIV after I stopped a while ago (frankly, it was pretty terrible and I wasn't having any fun). I can see the fine split between Persona and SMT, and while I understand they want them to be separate, a lot could be learned from more modern and fleshed out mechanics.

What's not modern about SMT IV?

Enemy negotiations, first person battles, city/map/world navigationa are what really stick out. Also wasn't a fan of the grinding required for gear, items, etc. Felt disproportionate for the time spent/gain ratio.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:

Enemy negotiations, first person battles, city/map/world navigationa are what really stick out. Also wasn't a fan of the grinding required for gear, items, etc. Felt disproportionate for the time spent/gain ratio.

The negotations are carried over from other SMT games. I like what Persona does with its card games, but they wanted to use the traditional negotiation system. It has first person battles, but the battle system design itself is still modern. It's not dated or anything.

Also I don't remember grinding for anything except for some delivery quests, and maybe a bit during the beginning. The game is easy enough once you hit Tokyo so I never had to grind to progress.

Agreed. Outside of the negotiations - which needed improvement, but not necessarily disposal - none of the issues highlighted were amongst the things I disliked about the game. Grinding in particular was never a problem for me, really; come to think of it, I don't think I really bought much stuff once I hit Tokyo anyways.

Salnax said:

I feel that the Morality should have been handled better, but is also necessary. Thematically, the conflict of Lawful Angels vs the Chaotic Lucifer and Co is what makes the story work. Both factions of supernatural beings have common traits with Humanity, but are largely incompatible with human welfare. Hence, humans are screwed by default when either side wins.And since that's an integral part of the story, it should connect to gameplay.

Perhaps the ideal solution is to have two or more good endings, with one being closer to Law and the other Chaos. Good endings take more work to reach of course, and even the good endings include unfortunate sacrifices, but don't necessarily refute both sides of the conflict.

As for gameplay integration, I'm thinking a bit about Strange Journey and some Western RPG's. Strange Journey made morality a factor when recruiting demons, team dynamics, and conversation options. You could also include a more basic faction system that intertwines with various groups. Sticking specifically with SMT4 for example, the quests and actions you complete could affect how not only the two recurring factions interact with you, but also human and non-aligned demonic groups like the Kingdom of Mikado, Ashura Kai, Ring of Gaea, various Neighborhoods in Tokyo, and the Buddhist, Hindu, Greek, Norse, and Japanese pantheons.

I just feel like law vs. chaos, as a concept, is so shallow, since it's really merely an extemist version of good vs. evil, and the way SMT handles it is so juvenile. I don't think they shouldn't connect with the gameplay, but they shouldn't effect the outcome of the plot in the drastic way that they do. No offense, but Atlus clearly doesn't know how to write these kinds of branching endings in a believable way, so they shouldn't even try. The fact that there are "good endings" and "bad endings" proves that. There should never be a bad ending. Every ending should be good (as in well written and satisfying), believable, and sensical. You should finish the game feeling like the ending you got was the only possible ending, and you shouldn't be able to tell where the story could have broken off. You should finish the game wondering how they could have possibly ended the game any other way. That requires a tightness of narrative that literally no game has successfully been able to accomplish. I've never played a single game, in my life, that wasn't ruined by having multiple endings because it always, somehow, fucks up the writing. And no, Zero Escape and 999 don't count.

I wouldn't mind what you suggest in the third paragraph, though.

Hiku said:
spemanig said:

But they did say they'd fix the overworld. I desperately am hoping for a completely connected map like the ones in #FE and P5. I see no reason why the 3DS can't handle it after seeing some of the games it can. When you were actually in the overworld, the exploration was great. It was just being on the map that sucked.

When you say map, you mean this, right?

Like the other person said, I too found myself having to look at a guide more than once, just to figure out how to get from one place to another.  Even when I've been there before. This is partially due to enemy encounters, preventing you from exploring in peace and quiet, and because many areas had multiple exits. Even though I've been to Tokyo irl, and know that Roppongi is to the east of Shibuya or Ikebukuro is north of Shinjuku, that rarely helped me find my way there. Because you have to go through exit #3 from Tokyo station, and then you have to go down a tunnel and emerge on the other side, etc.
The map was a mess, and it didn't feel intuitive. It often felt like a maze instead. The world map music was amazing though.

That's precisely what prevented me from enjoying smt4. That's the worst overworld map I've seen in an rpg that I've played.

I'm really pathetic and have no friends. Please excuse the trolling message that used to be here, I don't know any better.