By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMT IV: Final used fan feedback from IV to make a better game. Goal is to make it the best RPG on the 3DS.

spemanig said:

I thought the neutral ending was the only good ending. I've never played DS, so I'm not sure how it works. If it's actually ambiguous, and not as black and white as SMT IV, maybe I'd be down, but the law and chaos endings were all legitimately shit, so I don't care how good the path to getting there is if that is still the end result.

That was my problem with SMT IV as well. I played the game using the choices I would normally pick...and suddenly everyone was dying and I destroyed the world. I only bothered to look up Neutral Path later...and the requirements to achieving that just didn't seem fun to me at all. I still want to do it someday...just need to build up the motivation.

Of the five SMT games I've played, IV was probably my least favorite. Not that it was bad, just that I enjoyed the others more. I thought the paths were set up better in the Devil Survivor I and II. Instead of having a 'morality meter', you basically build up relationships with your companions and NPCs, which allows you to choose different paths at a certain point of the game. I believe you always have the Law and Chaos paths (or equivalents), but you can unlock additional paths through your relationships in the game. This might be too straightforward for some people, but I much preferred it over having to monitor my Law/Chaos points. 

Still...what I've heard about this game seems promising, and I did enjoy IV enough to keep my eye on this one, for what's it worth.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:

I only bothered to look up Neutral Path later...and the requirements to achieving that just didn't seem fun to me at all. I still want to do it someday...just need to build up the motivation.

It's not really worth it, to be honest. If you did most of the sidequests, then the only content that you didn't experience was fighting the boss of the alignment you sided with. The neutral ending is so anti-climatic that it doesn't end even after you've defeated all the bosses that are required: you have to return to this non-descript, somewhat out of the way place you've visited a few times already (no new enemies, events, or obstacles appear; it's just like the previous dozen times you've stopped by), at which point there's a thirty second conversation, a thirty second video, and the game ends.

Super_Boom said:
spemanig said:

I thought the neutral ending was the only good ending. I've never played DS, so I'm not sure how it works. If it's actually ambiguous, and not as black and white as SMT IV, maybe I'd be down, but the law and chaos endings were all legitimately shit, so I don't care how good the path to getting there is if that is still the end result.

That was my problem with SMT IV as well. I played the game using the choices I would normally pick...and suddenly everyone was dying and I destroyed the world. I only bothered to look up Neutral Path later...and the requirements to achieving that just didn't seem fun to me at all. I still want to do it someday...just need to build up the motivation.

Of the five SMT games I've played, IV was probably my least favorite. Not that it was bad, just that I enjoyed the others more. I thought the paths were set up better in the Devil Survivor I and II. Instead of having a 'morality meter', you basically build up relationships with your companions and NPCs, which allows you to choose different paths at a certain point of the game. I believe you always have the Law and Chaos paths (or equivalents), but you can unlock additional paths through your relationships in the game. This might be too straightforward for some people, but I much preferred it over having to monitor my Law/Chaos points. 

Still...what I've heard about this game seems promising, and I did enjoy IV enough to keep my eye on this one, for what's it worth.

The Hope ending isn't worth it.

An SMT game ending with some happy fun times, and I'm supposed to believe it? So the ceiling is gone, then what happens? Nothing. No punishment from YHWH, no Lucifer suddenly appearing from the depths of the Underworld, nothing.

You don't even get to fight the two villains working together to ensure humanity is wiped out once and for all, heheheheheh

I think I sprang a nosebleed, sorry

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

noname2200 said:

It's not really worth it, to be honest. If you did most of the sidequests, then the only content that you didn't experience was fighting the boss of the alignment you sided with. The neutral ending is so anti-climatic that it doesn't end even after you've defeated all the bosses that are required: you have to return to this non-descript, somewhat out of the way place you've visited a few times already (no new enemies, events, or obstacles appear; it's just like the previous dozen times you've stopped by), at which point there's a thirty second conversation, a thirty second video, and the game ends.

Wh-wha...that sounds incredibly anti-climactic, and even more unsatisfying if I'm investing dozens of hours into trying to achieve it. I wanted to see an ending where the girl doesn't kill herself, but that doesn't really seem worth it.

Ah well. Hopefully Final does it better.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

spemanig said:
cantaim said:

All they really need to do to make this one of the best rpg's on the 3ds if not the best is two things

1. fix the smirk system way to easy to abuse by both the player and AI doesent need to be taken out of the formula just tweaked so that it is not as broken.

2. overworld navigation now it may seem like I'm blowing this out of proportion but I honestly dont feel like I am. the overworld that you navigate that isnt text based (not nameing out specifically for spoilers), was an absolute mess. I only ever got the gist of the map down 40 hours in but just barely. heck if you asked me how to get to any location in IV right now I honestly couldnt tell you I'd have to watch a walk through to get any where thats how confusing to me it felt.

if those two issuse were addressed I'd honestly say that the only other games that could even rival IV:final that year for best rpg of 2016 would be other atlus RPG's like Shin megami tensei X fire emblem and persona 5 (unless dragon quest 11 comes out then all bets are off). 

That game's biggest problems were it's story, the main cast, and the Law vs. Chaos mechanic, so they'd have a lot more than those two, minor by comparison, issues to fix before the game could even come close to being considered on of the best 3DS RPGs.

But they did say they'd fix the overworld. I desperately am hoping for a completely connected map like the ones in #FE and P5. I see no reason why the 3DS can't handle it after seeing some of the games it can. When you were actually in the overworld, the exploration was great. It was just being on the map that sucked.

I can agree with story and main cast complaints as it felt like throughout the game that they didnt want to commit to any one story line and deided that after most every major decision, things would just carry on as usual for the main cast. but I dont thnk all of the story was trash as talking to side charectors and no names gave me a very good idea about the state of the world and how it got there and I found that to be incredibly intriguing and interesting (the actual plot itslf should have been doing this but oh well).The law vs chaos mechanic I feel like is a rather easy fix in the sense that they should take out the hidden values or remove the two choices completly as I dont see a point of having these two decisions before me if the game isnt willing to tell me what is and is not affecting the scale on which they increase. I did not know though that they said they were fixing the over world though so yay on that note. Oh and when I said over world I was talking about the map as I found the on foot exploration sections of the game to be incredibly fun to explore and am in agreement with you that they should make that the primary way of moving around the world of IV:final. Lastly I will have to disagree with you on the smirk mechanic being a minor issue I found it to be one of the worst systems introduced in SMT IV and I'll probably go into more detail as to why that is tomorrow cause I am sleepy and cant properly express how bad of a system it is right now.

Around the Network
cantaim said:

I can agree with story and main cast complaints as it felt like throughout the game that they didnt want to commit to any one story line and deided that after most every major decision, things would just carry on as usual for the main cast. but I dont thnk all of the story was trash as talking to side charectors and no names gave me a very good idea about the state of the world and how it got there and I found that to be incredibly intriguing and interesting (the actual plot itslf should have been doing this but oh well).The law vs chaos mechanic I feel like is a rather easy fix in the sense that they should take out the hidden values or remove the two choices completly as I dont see a point of having these two decisions before me if the game isnt willing to tell me what is and is not affecting the scale on which they increase. I did not know though that they said they were fixing the over world though so yay on that note. Oh and when I said over world I was talking about the map as I found the on foot exploration sections of the game to be incredibly fun to explore and am in agreement with you that they should make that the primary way of moving around the world of IV:final. Lastly I will have to disagree with you on the smirk mechanic being a minor issue I found it to be one of the worst systems introduced in SMT IV and I'll probably go into more detail as to why that is tomorrow cause I am sleepy and cant properly express how bad of a system it is right now.

Neither do I. I think most of it was great. I think the last 33% was bad, and most of it was because of how drawn out it was because of the LvC mechanic. I hated the false endings, too.

I don't think the game should tell you anything about how your decisions effect the world if it keeps MvC. What is even the point of having a morality system if you're told when and how it effects the world? That's not how morality in real life works, and it completely shatters any sense of immersion when a "choice" icon appears to baby you into a binary, black and white decision with binary, black and white conclusions. That's such a big reason why Walter, Jonathan, and to a lower extent Isabeau, are all ruined by this stupid mechanic. They get boiled down into training wheels to let the player know what path their decisions align with. If you pick law, Walter disapproves, Jonathan reasures, and Isabeau just stands there. If you pick chaos, Jonathan shakes his head, Walter pats you on the back, and Isabeau just stands there. Such a fucking lame way to force an already shallow mechanic into an otherwise expertly put together game.

If I were in charge, the game would have had only one ending, but there would be major points through out the entire game in which your decisions organically effected the world in a tangible way, with the game being entirely devoid of any hints that these branching paths even exist, so that they actually feel like consequences instead of choices. Main characters could die or not, villians could live or not, and they would all effect the tone of that unified ending depending on who is there. This way every player's experience in the game would still be different, but it wouldn't negatively effect the writing.

I honestly beat the game never really even paying attention to how smirk effected my battles, so that explains my apathy towards the issue.

I'm hoping they fix that damn map. Im playing SMT4 right now and my biggest complaint is how that map doesn't help you navigate at all x.x I never know where the hell I am

noname2200 said:
Cloudman said:

I've only played some of Untold 1, but I dunno if I would rank an Etrian Odyssey game as the best RPG game personally : P

For what it's worth, Untold 1 was a serious step back in a lot of ways. It's not the worst in the series - it's better than the first two games - but it's not as good as 3, 4, or Untold 2. If you liked Untold 1 at all, you really should try 4 or Untold 2.

If that's the case, I wonder if I should just skip Untold 1 and go straight to 2. I have both of them... x ) Although I really enjoyed what I played of 1.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Hiku said:
spemanig said:

But they did say they'd fix the overworld. I desperately am hoping for a completely connected map like the ones in #FE and P5. I see no reason why the 3DS can't handle it after seeing some of the games it can. When you were actually in the overworld, the exploration was great. It was just being on the map that sucked.

When you say map, you mean this, right?

Like the other person said, I too found myself having to look at a guide more than once, just to figure out how to get from one place to another.  Even when I've been there before. This is partially due to enemy encounters, preventing you from exploring in peace and quiet, and because many areas had multiple exits. Even though I've been to Tokyo irl, and know that Roppongi is to the east of Shibuya or Ikebukuro is north of Shinjuku, that rarely helped me find my way there. Because you have to go through exit #3 from Tokyo station, and then you have to go down a tunnel and emerge on the other side, etc.
The map was a mess, and it didn't feel intuitive. It often felt like a maze instead. The world map music was amazing though.

Thanks to the utterly labyrinthine world map, I truly feel sorry for anyone who failed to unlock the ability of flight before they took on a certain side quest.

Flight is amazing, it cuts my travel time to a quarter or even less than if I had to deal with those blasted random encounters and the map layout. Too bad you can't land anywhere.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Cloudman said:

If that's the case, I wonder if I should just skip Untold 1 and go straight to 2. I have both of them... x ) Although I really enjoyed what I played of 1.