By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

Checked source, but 2nd comment in the comment section basically said it all:

"What could possibly go wrong with:
1. Showing the controller weeks before the console
2. Using a near-identical name to your previous product
3. Confusing/uninformative advertising to the least knowledgeable audience, who bought 100 million of your previous product
4. Almost never mentioning the multimedia features and off-TV play
5. Giving the debut model 8 GB of storage are you f---ing kidding me man it's the 2010s
6. Charge $50 more for a model with 24 GB more oh my god seriously
7. Making a $100 controller
8. Forcibly bundling said controller with every console
9. Making the controller the focus of every single ad
10. Having only a handful of worthwhile ideas for the second screen in 3 years on the market."
- Quote Hylianola (from gamnesia.com)

Hopefully Tatsumi Kimishima will make sure the NX doesnt have half as many problems as the Wii U had.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Checked source, but 2nd comment in the comment section basically said it all:

"What could possibly go wrong with:
1. Showing the controller weeks before the console
2. Using a near-identical name to your previous product
3. Confusing/uninformative advertising to the least knowledgeable audience, who bought 100 million of your previous product
4. Almost never mentioning the multimedia features and off-TV play
5. Giving the debut model 8 GB of storage are you f---ing kidding me man it's the 2010s
6. Charge $50 more for a model with 24 GB more oh my god seriously
7. Making a $100 controller
8. Forcibly bundling said controller with every console
9. Making the controller the focus of every single ad
10. Having only a handful of worthwhile ideas for the second screen in 3 years on the market."
- Quote Hylianola (from gamnesia.com)

Maybe that comment was made by Kimishima himself.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Superquagsire said:
Nem said:

This.

Also, he is already failing as a president if he is bashing one of his products while its still on the market. Not the best first impression.

You know he said this before he was announced to be president right? He probably said this before the Wii U was launched.

Didn't know that. Still, i don't think its something you say as an official of the company. But, its good that its not something he did now.

Superquagsire said:
Nem said:

This.

Also, he is already failing as a president if he is bashing one of his products while its still on the market. Not the best first impression.

You know he said this before he was announced to be president right? He probably said this before the Wii U was launched.

It's also not a bad first impression when you state a fact. The Wii U is one of my all time favorite consoles at this point, but it's a complete failure. His job is to run a business, and by this point most of the big names at Nintendo have admitted that the Wii U is a failure. Hopefully his idea of restructuring isn't gonna cut jobs, and that he follows Iwata's precedent on that, because he'd truly be failing as a president if he hurt the company's interior morale just to slightly bump up the bottom line. Especially when they're already profiting as it is. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I'll chip in and say, that while I do agree with him that the Wii U was to similar to the original Wii for it's own sake, I still think it would've been at least a modest success if they had done a better job of marketing and naming.

Now, I don't think it would've been "Wii" levels of success, I still think it would've been a big drop off, but if they had just called it Wii 2 and given it actual marketing with good effort put into it, it'd be succesful in its own right & would be selling better than what it is now.
"Wii U" + commercials just showing off the controller and features of said controller just implies just implies that it's a tablet peripheral for the Wii with its own exclusive games for it.
"Wii 2" + commercials showing off the console and controller, and the new features of the consoles + launch title games fir it in HD, would've implied what it should've been marketed from the beginning, A next generation console from Nintendo and successor to the Wii.
But like I said, it still would've been a significant drop off from the Wii, so his point still stands.
And while I'll admit that the Wii U is obviously a failure, I wouldn't say it was a total failure.
Some games that we got for the system, we would've gotten them regardless, (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., upcoming Zelda) some games we've gotten I don't think would've been possible, or nearly as enjoyable as they are without the things that the Wii U brings to the table (Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Super Mario Maker).
And Nintendo managed to find something they were sourly missing from their line up, which was a heavy hitting, money making, shooter, which they now have in the form of Splatoon.
And I have hopes for the future of NX, and I'll just sit back and hope Kimishima knows what to do with it and how to market it in the West, since he has a lot of history working in the Western Market, specifically USA.

Around the Network

Wii without the casuals is just a GameCube in terms of market appeal. So it's not surprising that the Wii U is basically just achieving those numbers but at a higher price point (so even lower sales).

There's no reason for casuals to stick with Nintendo, they all have smartphones, so why pay $300+ to play Nintendo Land when you play Angry Birds, Boom Beach, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush for $0.

If you're a casual gamer, odds are you only really want to play games for maybe 30 minutes every couple of days at best, smartphone games totally eat that up, so what's the point of an entire game console for that audience? 

Why wait for Nintendo's annual big Wii _____ concept title when smartphones have dozens of new titles every week and some new thing breaks out and becomes the cool water-cooler talk at the office every 2-3 months. 

Casual market is fickle and wasn't going to buy another game console just because it had better graphics and a new type of controller. Wii Sports, Wii Fit ... been there, done that. Nintendo didn't have anything new to offer and can't compete with the volume of casual games on iOS/Play store. 

kljesta64 said:
PxlStorm said:
Common sense within Nintendo's management?! What is this madness?!

would be nice to see common sense on this site.

Dang, was about to say the same when I first saw the comment.

noname2200 said:
I'm going to have to ask that he specify his reasoning. Too similar in what ways, exactly?

The fact that many consumers didn't know the differences between the Wii and Wii U, I'd say that's enough of a reason.

Showing signs of promise already

guiduc said:
kljesta64 said:

would be nice to see common sense on this site.

Dang, was about to say the same when I first saw the comment.

at least you confirmed that theres still some left.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.