By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

the problem with the gamepad only videos, is the same as the wiimote only commercials back then. i think they've really focused too much on the gamepad and didn't even bother showing the console.
marketing is key, and i think kimishima knows what to do with it.

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
the problem with the gamepad only videos, is the same as the wiimote only commercials back then. i think they've really focused too much on the gamepad and didn't even bother showing the console.
marketing is key, and i think kimishima knows what to do with it.

The PS4 commercials don't even show the console. 

The problem with the Wii U is people don't want it. 

Explain to me why a casual gamer would want a Wii U when they the 2-3 hours a week/max that they may want to play video games can now be occupied easily by their phone and tablet? With $0 games versus $50-$60 games?

Take away the casuals and all the Wii is another GameCube or N64 at best. 

It's just not an exciting or interesting product unless you must, must, must play Nintendo franchise on the television, which is a small group of people. 

pokoko said:
Well, there we go. That's enough qualification for me. Move along, people, the show is over.

Seems like lots of people here were qualified for Nintendo presidency before WiiU.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
pokoko said:
Well, there we go. That's enough qualification for me. Move along, people, the show is over.

Seems like lots of people here were qualified for Nintendo presidency before WiiU.

Absolutely.  They should look here first when Kimi-chan retires.

Soundwave said:

Wii without the casuals is just a GameCube in terms of market appeal. So it's not surprising that the Wii U is basically just achieving those numbers but at a higher price point (so even lower sales).

There's no reason for casuals to stick with Nintendo, they all have smartphones, so why pay $300+ to play Nintendo Land when you play Angry Birds, Boom Beach, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush for $0.

If you're a casual gamer, odds are you only really want to play games for maybe 30 minutes every couple of days at best, smartphone games totally eat that up, so what's the point of an entire game console for that audience? 

Why wait for Nintendo's annual big Wii _____ concept title when smartphones have dozens of new titles every week and some new thing breaks out and becomes the cool water-cooler talk at the office every 2-3 months. 

Casual market is fickle and wasn't going to buy another game console just because it had better graphics and a new type of controller. Wii Sports, Wii Fit ... been there, done that. Nintendo didn't have anything new to offer and can't compete with the volume of casual games on iOS/Play store. 

I think there is still a market for a casual home console, a huge draw of Wii was having a group of friends or family members playing together, I find it hard to believe people all of a sudden don't like local multiplayer anymore.

The market has changed and ur right it's hard to sell a $300+ console with $60 games now that these people can play free games on devices they already own so that just means Nintendo or whoever attempts to make a casual focused home console needs to adapt to the market. I know that's easier said than done but it's not impossible.

Like I have said multiple times, there is a big middle ground between free and $60. Could a $150-200 casual focused console with more affordable software find a solid userbase? I believe so.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
I'm now a bit more optimistic about the NX

The NX if too far in the Development Stage for any change to happen.

pokoko said:

Already giving him the -chan treatment? xD

Does he look like a -chan here?

hmm, maybe he does a little here:

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

XanderXT said:
StarOcean said:
I'm now a bit more optimistic about the NX

The NX if too far in the Development Stage for any change to happen.

Stop stabbing my hope with your logic!

AbbathTheGrim said:
pokoko said:

Already giving him the -chan treatment? xD

Does he look like a -chan here?

hmm, maybe he does a little here:

Maybe a -kun.  It's too bad -dono is archaic, because I could totally see him rocking that suffix.

Soundwave said:

He's not wrong.

Why is it exactly one generation behind the PS4 and XB1 with a little extra on top? Because the Wii was the same thing to the PS3/360.

Why is it small with a heavy emphasis on power consumption? Because Wii was.

Why does it have a weird new controller? Because Wii did.

Why is Nintendo Land, a mini-game compilation the lead launch title? Because Wii was launched with a mini-game compilation.

Why is it called Wii U? Because the first Wii was a wink, wink play on the word "we", so naturally now they'll add "you" (U) to that.

What's the main selling point of the new console? The controller. Like Wii.

Even NSMBU, they probably saw that as their "Zelda: TP" replacement for the launch window, and Zombi U was the lead third party exclusive, the basic equvialent to Red Steel as a launch title for the Wii. 

the Wii U failed at two things in imitating the Wii

1) The Wii more than doubles the PS2 in power (the Gamecube was already more powerful than the PS2), but the Wii U doesnt double the PS3 in power. The Wii U only doubles the last gen consoles in ram, not processing power.

2) The Wii was cheap, and considerably cheaper than the other 2 consoles.

The Wii U may have been less of a failure if it had been more of a rip off of the Wii.

If they had called it Wii 2 (wink wink, we too), and just had tried to make the most powerful console they could make for 250 bucks with wiimote + nunchuk and pro controller instead of gamepad.

From what I have been reading, the Wii U could be sold for less than USD 200, over a third of the price comes from the controller.