By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

Aquietguy said:
gigaSheik said:

If your product is selling less than its predecessor its a disappointment. If that product market share went from 1st to last that product is a disappointment. If that product is going to sell something around 90% less units than its predecessor that's a failure. Its not about making money. Its about making more money.  A company the size of Nintendo can't afford to sell 90% less hardware units (therefore less software) and pretend its fine just because they're making some pennies compared to what the previous systems were capable to generate in profits. It doesn't really matter how people want to spin it. Wii U is a failure.

Are they making a profit? That's the only thing that matters. No one goes into business hoping to sell units. they do it to make money. If you don't sell a lot of units but you make a profit, you stay in business . You sell a butt load of units but you don't make a profit, you go out of business.

If they sell few systems they won't profit from software. Most of the profit comes from software. If they sell a few systems they won't get 3rd party support losing software royalties. If they sell a few systems they will sell less controllers, cables, etc. If they sell a few systems they will lose brand recognition sending their intelectual properties into niche hell. Its so clear that they want to sell systems that Nintendo dropped the price of the 3DS a few months after its release. Your view of the videogame market is kinda limited or you just can't accept the fact that Wii U is a failure.

Around the Network
gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:

Are they making a profit? That's the only thing that matters. No one goes into business hoping to sell units. they do it to make money. If you don't sell a lot of units but you make a profit, you stay in business . You sell a butt load of units but you don't make a profit, you go out of business.

If they sell few systems they won't profit from software. Most of the profit comes from software. If they sell a few systems they won't get 3rd party support losing software royalties. If they sell a few systems they will sell less controllers, cables, etc. If they sell a few systems they will lose brand recognition sending their intelectual properties into niche hell. Its so clear that they want to sell systems that Nintendo dropped the price of the 3DS a few months after its release. Your view of the videogame market is kinda limited or you just can't accept the fact that Wii U is a failure.

Yet they are selling a lot of software. Still have brand recognition. Now Splatoon will be another huge brand. They haven't had 3th party support in 4 gens. Yet their still here. They wete supposed to be out of the console business years ago but their still here. Why? Because of units sold?  Nope. Because they make profits and have brand recognition.

Aquietguy said:
gigaSheik said:

Yet they are selling a lot of software. Still have brand recognition. Now Splatoon will be another huge brand. They haven't had 3th party support in 4 gens. Yet their still here. They wete supposed to be out of the console business years ago but their still here. Why? Because of units sold?  Nope. Because they make profits and have brand recognition.

Uh! Nice. Compare to the previous platform. Both Wii U and 3DS. They are still here. So nice, isn't it? How many Wii Us till they're gone? Oh! btw... the new president knew it was going to be a failure. Guess why he's the new president? Guessed it right. Because the board knows he was right and they should have listened to him. He's the new president to prevent other failures. Wii U is a failure.

cheshirescat said:
XanderXT said:
cheshirescat said:

Maybe a -kun.  It's too bad -dono is archaic, because I could totally see him rocking that suffix.

What do those suffixes mean?

Kun is more or less just a masculine version of chan, dono is an outmoded honorific used mainly by samurai, though you will see it rarely in stuffy business correspondence if the person writing it is a brown nosing douche-bag.

Oh. I don't know Japanese, so i don't know what those meant.

gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:

Uh! Nice. Compare to the previous platform. Both Wii U and 3DS. They are still here. So nice, isn't it? How many Wii Us till they're gone? Oh! btw... the new president knew it was going to be a failure. Guess why he's the new president? Guessed it right. Because the board knows he was right and they should have listened to him. He's the new president to prevent other failures. Wii U is a failure.

Ok, you don't know how the board acts, so don't think you do.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:

They act with their wallets.

gigaSheik said:
XanderXT said:
gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:

They act with their wallets.

That explains why Nintendo has gone mobile.

Lawlight said:
Realistically, how much different from the WiiU will the NX be? I really don't see how they can make the system more appealing.

Very different.

gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:

Is the Wii U failing to turn a profit?  Which is the reason Nintendo is in business. Again, to you it's a failure. To me it's a success cause I love the thing. The pad is great. So I guess it all depends on personal opinion. But when it's all said and done the U is making them a profit.

Soundwave said:
gabzjmm23 said:
the problem with the gamepad only videos, is the same as the wiimote only commercials back then. i think they've really focused too much on the gamepad and didn't even bother showing the console.
marketing is key, and i think kimishima knows what to do with it.

The PS4 commercials don't even show the console. 

The problem with the Wii U is people don't want it. 

Explain to me why a casual gamer would want a Wii U when they the 2-3 hours a week/max that they may want to play video games can now be occupied easily by their phone and tablet? With $0 games versus $50-$60 games?

Take away the casuals and all the Wii is another GameCube or N64 at best. 

It's just not an exciting or interesting product unless you must, must, must play Nintendo franchise on the television, which is a small group of people. 

I'm responding to those who have mentioned that it was due to the gamepad videos only and not showing the actual console. I'm not saying it is the focus of the failure of the Wii u and didn't got the numbers it should get.  

About the casuals, COC is an addicting game and people tend to have a ton of time for that game regardless where they are. Clan wars is a big deal for them and even they are at the office or on to go, they would try to play a couple of minutes. And it would really result to more than 3 hours a day for looting, clan wars etc.  

casual gaming is still there for the home console, I find playing sports game as a casual gaming. As they are fans of that sports genre and would devote time to watch their favorite team play.  So their time is already divided by it.  There are casual gamers on home consoles, HH, PC and smartphones/tablets.  Maybe there are more less gaming into smartphones because you can use phones other than gaming. 

about the wiiu failure, market wise they've failed due to their own faults. As a buyer I think I'm good with the wiiu. I have more games on my wiiu than ps4.  And knowing games for the ps4 would drop, I normally wait.  So for me, I have a lot of gaming hours for the wiiu than my ps4 which is a lot and for me it is successful console because I'm having fun.