By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

Soundwave said:

Wii without the casuals is just a GameCube in terms of market appeal. So it's not surprising that the Wii U is basically just achieving those numbers but at a higher price point (so even lower sales).

There's no reason for casuals to stick with Nintendo, they all have smartphones, so why pay $300+ to play Nintendo Land when you play Angry Birds, Boom Beach, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush for $0.

If you're a casual gamer, odds are you only really want to play games for maybe 30 minutes every couple of days at best, smartphone games totally eat that up, so what's the point of an entire game console for that audience? 

Why wait for Nintendo's annual big Wii _____ concept title when smartphones have dozens of new titles every week and some new thing breaks out and becomes the cool water-cooler talk at the office every 2-3 months. 

Casual market is fickle and wasn't going to buy another game console just because it had better graphics and a new type of controller. Wii Sports, Wii Fit ... been there, done that. Nintendo didn't have anything new to offer and can't compete with the volume of casual games on iOS/Play store. 

You underestimate the casual market. You know how annoying it is to always be sasked to play Clash of Clans? Every casual gamer I know are addicted to games like that. They don't 'play games for maybe 30 minutes every couple of days at best.'

Around the Network

Realistically, how much different from the WiiU will the NX be? I really don't see how they can make the system more appealing.

StarOcean said:
XanderXT said:
StarOcean said:
I'm now a bit more optimistic about the NX

The NX if too far in the Development Stage for any change to happen.

Stop stabbing my hope with your logic!

I'll stop when you ask me to politely.

cheshirescat said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
pokoko said:

Absolutely.  They should look here first when Kimi-chan retires.

Already giving him the -chan treatment? xD

Does he look like a -chan here?

hmm, maybe he does a little here:

Maybe a -kun.  It's too bad -dono is archaic, because I could totally see him rocking that suffix.

What do those suffixes mean?

Lawlight said:
Realistically, how much different from the WiiU will the NX be? I really don't see how they can make the system more appealing.

Not having a USD 150 controller will make it more appealing. The promise of "play all Nintendo games in the same console" will make it more appealing, in the case it is true that the console and haldheld play all the same games, you would only have to buy the Nintendo console you prefer.

Obviously home console would have a better resolution.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
cheshirescat said:

Maybe a -kun.  It's too bad -dono is archaic, because I could totally see him rocking that suffix.

What do those suffixes mean?

Kun is more or less just a masculine version of chan, dono is an outmoded honorific used mainly by samurai, though you will see it rarely in stuffy business correspondence if the person writing it is a brown nosing douche-bag.

sidmeiernintifan said:
Lawlight said:

Not having a USD 150 controller will make it more appealing. The promise of "play all Nintendo games in the same console" will make it more appealing, in the case it is true that the console and haldheld play all the same games, you would only have to buy the Nintendo console you prefer.

Obviously home console would have a better resolution.

While the controller is $150, the WiiU is only $300 so not sure why the price of the packed-in controller matters.

The second is just migrating the 3DS owners to console. Think of it this way - if the 3DS didn't exist, the WiiU would have sold much better.

gigaSheik said:
Aquietguy said:
Is the Wii U a failure? The question is are they making a profit off of it. If so it's a success. I disagree with the similarity thing. The Wii and Wii U is about as different as PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3. The problem was the lack of advertising. They just didn't market it nearly enough. Just look at the effort they did for Splatoon. The U should have had that kind of push. They banked on people just buying it because of the success of the Wii.

If your product is selling less than its predecessor its a disappointment. If that product market share went from 1st to last that product is a disappointment. If that product is going to sell something around 90% less units than its predecessor that's a failure. Its not about making money. Its about making more money.  A company the size of Nintendo can't afford to sell 90% less hardware units (therefore less software) and pretend its fine just because they're making some pennies compared to what the previous systems were capable to generate in profits. It doesn't really matter how people want to spin it. Wii U is a failure.

Are they making a profit? That's the only thing that matters. No one goes into business hoping to sell units. they do it to make money. If you don't sell a lot of units but you make a profit, you stay in business . You sell a butt load of units but you don't make a profit, you go out of business.

AbbathTheGrim said:
pokoko said:

Absolutely.  They should look here first when Kimi-chan retires.

Gap Moe -- "a contradiction in exhibited characteristics that people find cutely attractive". 

It's all in the gap.

pokoko said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Gap Moe -- "a contradiction in exhibited characteristics that people find cutely attractive". 

It's all in the gap.

Well, if you find him "cutely attractive", that's alright. :P I won't judge you. :P

The gap is real. xD

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1