By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

Lawlight said:
Realistically, how much different from the WiiU will the NX be? I really don't see how they can make the system more appealing.

Quite different, I mean similar things could probably be said for the xbox>360 transition. All Microsoft done was make it less ugly, adjust the marketing, get some key support and secure a 1 year headstart. Even if sony didn't F up with a $600 system the Xbox brand would have still grown quite substantially. I think beyond sales though we also have to consider the experience of the console owners- By years end Wii U would have only of recieved 10-12 retail games in 2015. Thats atrocious and doesn't offer much choice. As much as its about selling better then the Wii U, its also about getting a platform with stronger support.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The PS4 commercials don't even show the console. 

The problem with the Wii U is people don't want it. 

Explain to me why a casual gamer would want a Wii U when they the 2-3 hours a week/max that they may want to play video games can now be occupied easily by their phone and tablet? With $0 games versus $50-$60 games?

Take away the casuals and all the Wii is another GameCube or N64 at best. 

It's just not an exciting or interesting product unless you must, must, must play Nintendo franchise on the television, which is a small group of people. 

The physical PS4 console is actually an essential part of the systems marketing. It may not feature in every playstation branded tv advert, but on Print its there 95% of the time. Its pretty hard to miss, not to mention the numerous special editions where they marketed quite heavily.  I just saw one for Destiny infact. But I think the point is kind of mute because Playstations naming convention is based on numerical supremecy, something Wii U is not.

But as you said the real fault is that the Wii U is undesirable, even if its marketing was crystal, that wouldn't change. I don't think it deserves comparisons to the N64 which actually arrived 2 years after the competition and yet still managed to earn a strongly robust audience which extended beyond Nintendo's core audience.

teigaga said:
Lawlight said:
Realistically, how much different from the WiiU will the NX be? I really don't see how they can make the system more appealing.

Quite different, I mean similar things could probably be said for the xbox>360 transition. All Microsoft done was make it less ugly, adjust the marketing, get some key support and secure a 1 year headstart. Even if sony didn't F up with a $600 system the Xbox brand would have still grown quite substantially. I think beyond sales though we also have to consider the experience of the console owners- By years end Wii U would have only of recieved 10-12 retail games in 2015. Thats atrocious and doesn't offer much choice. As much as its about selling better then the Wii U, its also about getting a platform with stronger support.

Well, the 360 was successful in the first place. It's not quite the same as the WiiU situation.

He was god damn right!

Lawlight said:
teigaga said:

Well, the 360 was successful in the first place. It's not quite the same as the WiiU situation.

But the original Xbox didn't sell drastically better then the Wii U. If Microsoft can go from 24m to 84, I think Nintendo has room to grow from the Wii U with the right timing, hardware and marketing. 1st and 3rd party support of course.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Well if Wii U just have better and not misunderstood marketing and different name, it would be much more appealing system.

So NX will be much more appealing system than Wii U was.

He is a prophet LOl, he should have been join VG chart and get a lot of hate from Nintendo fans on VGchart forum LOL

Soundwave said:
gabzjmm23 said:
the problem with the gamepad only videos, is the same as the wiimote only commercials back then. i think they've really focused too much on the gamepad and didn't even bother showing the console.
marketing is key, and i think kimishima knows what to do with it.

The PS4 commercials don't even show the console. 

The problem with the Wii U is people don't want it. 

Explain to me why a casual gamer would want a Wii U when they the 2-3 hours a week/max that they may want to play video games can now be occupied easily by their phone and tablet? With $0 games versus $50-$60 games?

Take away the casuals and all the Wii is another GameCube or N64 at best. 

It's just not an exciting or interesting product unless you must, must, must play Nintendo franchise on the television, which is a small group of people. 

I completely disagree that sales of Wii would be Cube levels without casuals. At least if you mean "soccer moms and grandpas" by casuals. There were many core gamers like myself that had sworn off Nintendo when the purple toy came out, but when the slick new Wii came out we couldn't resist it. It was stylish. It haf a cool new way to play games (let's be honest, every core gamer was imagining swinging a lightsaber). It had the groundbreaking Virtual Console allowing us to play all of the old Nintendo games from our youth. And it had wicked new versions of Mario and Zelda.

If you pop into any independent game store you'll see Yoshi plushies, Mushroom t-shirts and numerous Nintendo themed crap. Core gamers love some retro Nintendo.  Wii offered a perfect storm of fresh gameplay and retro appeal wrapped up in a cutting edge Apple-like design. With pricey competition offering HD as it's main selling point but most gamers nit yet having HDTVs and with almost everyone avoiding GameCube and hungry for some Nintendo content, Wii was a can't miss product. 

Sure, the "non-gamers" and Wii Fit crowd probably boosted sales by about 30+ million, but the main success was offering something fun and innovative that the mainstream gamer could enjoy at a time they were ready to walse down Nintendo memory lane and they were pissed at Sony for price gouging. 

And there in lies the problem of Wii U. Not exciting.  Not innovative.  People had Wiis, so they aren't hungry for the retro Nintendo experience. They styling is cutting edge...for 2006. The games are derivative.  And the competition has strong, well-priced offerings.  Combined with a mainstream gamer who may have felt Wii was vastly inferior to the new PS360 they picked up a few years later and Nintendo needed another system that was shock and awe, not evolutionary.

Hopefully this is what noobie President means.

gigaSheik said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I wasn't around in those days but looked back at the necrobumbed threads of back then people all kind of thought the wii u would at least sell 50 million lifetime.

I meant conscious people, not fanboys.

I always knew kowenicki was a Nintendo fanboy!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

They can make it like the PS4. That will make it more appealing. By that I mean keep it simple with no gimmick and make plenty of varied first party games.