By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

RubberWhistleHistle said:
i completely agree with what everyone is saying about how it is too similar to wii.

the fact that they used the wii name was an instant fail. this is probably the single biggest thing that has landed the wii u in its current predicament.

also, if you guys noticed, in e3 2011, it struck me pretty heavily that the CONSOLE WAS NEVER SHOWN. i wanted to know what the fuck this thing was going to look like, and it felt like iwata was trying to hide it from us. yes, i get the tablet is awesome, but what does the console look like?? IT EVEN CONFUSED ME! the fact that it looks just like a wii and shares the same name was a recipe for disaster, especially at a time when wii fatigue was setting in. completely ridiculous strategy from the start.

I remember this too. I wouldn't of thought the WiiU was a console if it hadn't been confirmed. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
i completely agree with what everyone is saying about how it is too similar to wii.

the fact that they used the wii name was an instant fail. this is probably the single biggest thing that has landed the wii u in its current predicament.

also, if you guys noticed, in e3 2011, it struck me pretty heavily that the CONSOLE WAS NEVER SHOWN. i wanted to know what the fuck this thing was going to look like, and it felt like iwata was trying to hide it from us. yes, i get the tablet is awesome, but what does the console look like?? IT EVEN CONFUSED ME! the fact that it looks just like a wii and shares the same name was a recipe for disaster, especially at a time when wii fatigue was setting in. completely ridiculous strategy from the start.

I remember this too. I wouldn't of thought the WiiU was a console if it hadn't been confirmed. 

exactly. since it was confirmed, i was expecting to see it at some point, but the fact that they never shown it honestly had (again) EVEN ME wondering what the hell i was being told about.

they should have rectified that the Wii U is an updated SKU of the Wii. and HD version of the Wii with a gamepad and exclusive content.

the marketing i think wasn't done great, which should help hype the product. i know Nintendo doesn't have that capability compared to Sony or Microsoft but they should have done better in terms of marketing their main console to the market.

We all knew that. I want to know his opinion about NX.

gigaSheik said:

I wasn't around in those days but looked back at the necrobumbed threads of back then people all kind of thought the wii u would at least sell 50 million lifetime.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

I advised against the Wii U and said it wouod fail, why am i not president of Nintendo now?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Soundwave said:
illdill1987 said:
If he meant it was like the Wii as in it is a Generation behind what it should be then I am glad he is the new president and hope Nintendo is once again on the cutting edge of technology with their next system.

What ever the NX is the design decisions for it probably are already made under Iwata. Kimishima's job is to manage the corporate side of things it sounds like, not to radically alter business directions. 

I don't know, maybe you are right. I hope not because I will never buy an underpowered system again. And if you think about it. If a new captain takes control of a ship he can steer it on a different course even if the previous captain had already set sail. So hopefully Nintendo wasn't to far along.

ArchangelMadzz said:
gigaSheik said:

I wasn't around in those days but looked back at the necrobumbed threads of back then people all kind of thought the wii u would at least sell 50 million lifetime.

I meant conscious people, not fanboys.

I wonder what his current thoughts on NX are.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

kitler53 said:
more important to know is what he suggested instead. it's easy to tear down a bad idea but much harder to come up with a good one.

He not only suggested, but already did for the sake of the NX:

"Wii U hardware development was led by Shigeru Miyamoto, but Miyamoto has stepped down from that role for NX"

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile