By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima advised against WiiU and predicted it would fail

Tagged games:

He's not wrong.

Why is it exactly one generation behind the PS4 and XB1 with a little extra on top? Because the Wii was the same thing to the PS3/360.

Why is it small with a heavy emphasis on power consumption? Because Wii was.

Why does it have a weird new controller? Because Wii did.

Why is Nintendo Land, a mini-game compilation the lead launch title? Because Wii was launched with a mini-game compilation.

Why is it called Wii U? Because the first Wii was a wink, wink play on the word "we", so naturally now they'll add "you" (U) to that.

What's the main selling point of the new console? The controller. Like Wii.

Even NSMBU, they probably saw that as their "Zelda: TP" replacement for the launch window, and Zombi U was the lead third party exclusive, the basic equvialent to Red Steel as a launch title for the Wii. 

Around the Network

It's really easy to point fingers and say such things now, so I wonder what he thinks about the NX then

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Now i'll be damned!

If he meant it was like the Wii as in it is a Generation behind what it should be then I am glad he is the new president and hope Nintendo is once again on the cutting edge of technology with their next system.

illdill1987 said:
If he meant it was like the Wii as in it is a Generation behind what it should be then I am glad he is the new president and hope Nintendo is once again on the cutting edge of technology with their next system.

What ever the NX is the design decisions for it probably are already made under Iwata. Kimishima's job is to manage the corporate side of things it sounds like, not to radically alter business directions. 

Around the Network

And he predicted correctly. Every day that passes I am more and more interested on how the NX will turn out. E3 2016 cannot come fast enough Or maybe we will see a reveal early next year?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I hope he is a good president for nintendo

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

He forgot the most important part (what they should have done instead of that)

don't know the exact story as it was just twitter and according to Nikkei. I need more concrete information and if the president himself said anything. it could be written out of context or a misunderstanding on how he wanted to say something about their current home console.

edit:

from Wii U Daily:

2) According to the Nikkei, Kimishima predicted Wii U’s failure when it was introduced by warning it’s too similar to the original Wii.

Wanted to know the question, or how Kimishima came into Wii U's failure. And it is fine if he acknowledges their failed product, it means they know their mistakes, and they would rectify it.

3) Despite his business background, he is quoted as saying it’s wrong to lead a gaming company on numbers alone.

it means that it is not all about the money. which is good, hopefully they'll do it right for NX.

Nem said:
kitler53 said:
more important to know is what he suggested instead. it's easy to tear down a bad idea but much harder to come up with a good one.

This.

Also, he is already failing as a president if he is bashing one of his products while its still on the market. Not the best first impression.

You know he said this before he was announced to be president right? He probably said this before the Wii U was launched.