By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Apr 2007 NPD Thread

kber81 said:
your mother said:

If you read my post (just a bit higher from yours) this isn't the first time a console was launched that broke the "magical" 400$ barrier - and I don't think it will be the last time, either.

History has a terrible habit of repeating itself. It may not be Sony, but you can bet your bottom dollar that someday, sometime, some company will.

If next next-gen will be at $500 price tag it's still nice. Only the strongest competitor can risk as Sony  does right now. This "war" will not give us such dominant player. 

I actually have to bite her and say I disagree. As it looks now this war might get a dominant player, Nintendo Wii. Japan is more or less already won, it is (I think) still supply constraind in USA. In Europe it is doing better than most Nintendo consols has done. I wont say that it will stay that way, but as it looks now Wii can become the PS2 of this generation.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

iam happy with these sales numbers. i don't need to be afraid that wii will have the same future like the gamecube had. what a wonderfull day :) @ioi great that your vgchartz numbers were so close.

Haven't seen a lot of posts saying "Ahh, but people spent more money on PS3's (or 360's) than Wii's." Because they didn't of course.

kber81 said:
your mother said:

If you read my post (just a bit higher from yours) this isn't the first time a console was launched that broke the "magical" 400$ barrier - and I don't think it will be the last time, either.

History has a terrible habit of repeating itself. It may not be Sony, but you can bet your bottom dollar that someday, sometime, some company will.

If next next-gen will be at $500 price tag it's still nice. Only the strongest competitor can risk as Sony does right now. This "war" will not give us such dominant player.

Sony is no longer the dominant player. They arent out of this war but certainly history is against them, they would have to make a VERY impressive comeback to get there. Just because a company was the dominant player last generation doesnt mean they are this one. Look at how PS1 destroyed N64.

Also Im not sure about this war not giving a dominant player, in general for some reason console wars seem too.

Edit: Also OUCH for sony, 82k is to be honest pathetic.

Wow ,really bad numbers for the PS3 ....between Canada and USA it has some 90K consoles sold only for the whole month .If Sony wanted to squeeze out everybody wanting a console for 600 dollars it has managed it flawlessy ,there isnt nearly anybody more wanting to spend that kind of cash ...at least while there arent many exclusive games .They should cut the price and do it fast ,and try to get the product faster to the shelves as well .Even with huge losses they should lower the console to 400 .That would be GREAT value for money and a more realistic approach at the market . Great numbers for the DS and the Wii ,I am something afraid this is the future ....I mean ,if you dont like Mario and the no-games and minigames what kind of future awaits for gamers ?. As for the others good numbers for the PSP and poor for the X360 .The latter is in its best shape possible ,with a stellar lineup ,a notorius price advantage over the direct rival and all the FUD campaign of Microsoft paying its dividends ...and the PS3 waiting still for its heavy-hitters .Still it doesnt manage to sell strongly and loses sales month after month ---

Around the Network
Cipherr said:

consumers are speaking loud and clear with their wallets. 360 has a stellar line up and with the elite and its library deserves 250k sales per month minimum and its falling short. It has to be the price. PS3? More of the sam

This point can't be emphasized enough.  The 360 has a stellar game lineup and the best online experience available and yet can't manage blowout sales numbers.  If one were forced to purchase only a 360 or a PS3 for a high res graphics console and could ONLY play the games that are currently released (no new games ever), the 360 would clearly be the only choice of the two.  Yet with a $400 price tag it still isn't doing all that well.  What gives?  The only variable left is the price tag.  I don't see the huge 360 software lineup coming this fall making a huge impact though it will increase it some.  Holiday sales and Halo 3 will increase sales overall, but it will drop right back to the current levels.  That begs the question:  Will a $100 price drop even make a difference for the PS3?  I don't think it will make a significant one.  A stronger game library will help over time, but given the difficulty the 360 has moving $400 consoles with LOTS of software, I'm guessing the PS3 has a tough road ahead.  I still believe the PS3 will be successful in the long run, but it's going to take a massive price move.  I'm an avid gamer and make a very comfortable income, but I won't drop that much cash on a hardware console.  Call me cheap, call me whatever you want, but I'm fairly certain that my disdain for spending $500 to get a piece of hardware and a couple of controllers so that I can spend even MORE on software is the norm rather than the exception.  The first of the 360 or PS3 to hit $299 will get my hard-earned cash.  Until then, my cube and ps2 are doing just fine.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Diomedes1976 said:
I mean ,if you dont like Mario and the no-games and minigames what kind of future awaits for gamers ?.

For the most part, the future that awaits gamers through the Wii's success is the same future that awaits gamers through the success of the PS3 or XBox 360; the real difference is that developers will be forced to focus on gameplay and story telling elements rather than on eye candy.

Even the graphic-whore market will remain (on the PC, PS3 and XBox 360) but it will be exposed as the niche market it has always been; rather than ever game trying to apeal to these gamers you will have a smaller group of developers who create games which really use enhanced graphics in a meaningful way.

Diomedes1976 said:
As for the others good numbers for the PSP and poor for the X360 .The latter is in its best shape possible ,with a stellar lineup ,a notorius price advantage over the direct rival and all the FUD campaign of Microsoft paying its dividends ...and the PS3 waiting still for its heavy-hitters .Still it doesnt manage to sell strongly and loses sales month after month ---

As Sony fans claimed before the price of the PS3 was known, the vast majority of people buy a gaming console after it is under $200 and by pricing a console at $400 it remains out of the mainstream market for several years. it seems to me that Microsoft is going in the wrong direction with the XBox 360 elite too; they should have ignored HDMI, upgraded the Priemium's Hard-Drive, and set the new price of the consoles to $200(core)/$300(Priemium) in order to spur sales.

Just to rant for a moment ... I really want to know what is wrong with so many companies and why they simply don't get why people buy gaming systems. Companies since the dawn of the industry have always tried to enter the market by creating more powerful hardware or adding extra features; even Nintendo (who now seems to have a good understanding of the industry) has been guilty of it in the past (with the N64 and Gamecube). Most people buy a videogame system because it is a very inexpensive form of entertainment; as the cost of systems, games and accessories rise and as developers expect you to pay added fees to gain access to extra content like online gaming, and micro-payment based content gaming loses its price advantage.

Hey it was a pretty darn good month for handhelds. The DS as usual was the top selling system, the PSP outsold the 360, and the GBA again outsold the PS3. Overall Console sales topped handheld sales 810k to 738k, but that's with one console advantage. Also I'm pretty certain Pokemon Diamond set the record for the most games ever sold in a month for a handheld system.

The next few months will not be as fun as they have been. I don't foresee a pricing move at least until August (back-to-school) season. Also, there is also no new sku's in the next 3 months. Wii supply is normalizing (I think I was the first to predict May). This means that the summer months will see weaker h/w sales overall compared with April. There might be minor spikes from game launches. But nothing on the level of Pokemon. So, for us number watchers, the next few months will be boredom with occasional fan flame wars

I predict Wii to continue to sellout most if not all of its supply and for WiiDS to dominate the market

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)