By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Apr 2007 NPD Thread

The PS3 failed considerably more than I expected, and I'm generally rather pessimistic about the platform. Stringer can't be too happy with all those PS3s piling up in their warehouses. Where's larry to spin up the numbers btw? :)

Around the Network

For ps3 fans that questioned VG Chartz numbers stating they shorted the ps3 and overcompensated the Wii, it looks like they did just the opposite. So I hope thats the last we hear of that.

Very impressive accuracy. Amazing. Congratulation ioi. I think I should eat my words regards X sale right now

Really bad numbers for PS3.  PSP below my expectation too.

mrstickball said:
IMHO, I think these sales are proving 1 major point: Price is winning the day overall. Every cheap(er) system has beat the more expensive ones. The 360 needs a price drop, it'd make it viable vs. the Wii. The PS3 needs.....Intelligent life pricing the console.

When the 3DO came out, it cost 700 bucks a pop. I still remember this article back then stating how the sweet spot for mass-adoption consumer devices tops off at 400$.

Seems that still holds true today... 

The positive aspect of poor PS3 sale is we won't see such price for a console in the future.

Regards this forum - after PS3 breakthrough Sony- fanboys will be able to quote all of you N-fans (Wiimania etc.) for own pleasure Meantime, enjoy the (partial) success.

Around the Network
kber81 said:

The positive aspect of poor PS3 sale is we won't see such price for a console in the future.

Regards this forum - after PS3 breakthrough Sony- fanboys will be able to quote all of you N-fans (Wiimania etc.) for own pleasure Meantime, enjoy the (partial) success.

we will

kber81 said:

If you read my post (just a bit higher from yours) this isn't the first time a console was launched that broke the "magical" 400$ barrier - and I don't think it will be the last time, either.

History has a terrible habit of repeating itself. It may not be Sony, but you can bet your bottom dollar that someday, sometime, some company will.

Well what to say, PS3 is in serious trouble. As far as I know no new games was released in may that have some serious selling power. This would mean that their is a big chance for a second month below 100k. WW is doesn't look to great either, I am pretty sure that in the Japan + USA battle xbox360 won against PS3. (Wii obvious won against everything except DS) A question to our american members, is Wii still supply constraind? I can inform everbody that it isn't the case in Sweden. So PS3 needs games and a price cut NOW! xbox360 needs a price cut or their lead in USA will be seriously lowerd during the comoning months. Wii is for the moment taking controll over the WW sales.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

your mother said:

If you read my post (just a bit higher from yours) this isn't the first time a console was launched that broke the "magical" 400$ barrier - and I don't think it will be the last time, either.

History has a terrible habit of repeating itself. It may not be Sony, but you can bet your bottom dollar that someday, sometime, some company will.

If next next-gen will be at $500 price tag it's still nice. Only the strongest competitor can risk as Sony  does right now. This "war" will not give us such dominant player. 

something interesting to think about, if Nintendo Wii continues with this gap (about 190k) above x360 in America (which it most likely will not), it will overtake 360 in less than 16 months.. as i said, the most likely scenario is for the gap to decrease on a monthly basis (no matter how small).. but i think it shows a possibilty of Wii winning in even USA over a longer timeframe than 16months (say, even if it were 36months - 3 years)