By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Apr 2007 NPD Thread

ioi said:

Well I'm proud to say we were almost bang on this month, I think every single figure is within about 15% of NPD when you take Canada into account with the exception of Spiderman 360 and DS hardware which we have a little high.

Not bad at all though - our data tracking is definitely getting better

NPDVGC 
DS506580115%
WII40233683%
PS2212247116%
PSP195208106%
X360187197106%
PS389107120%

Nice, ioi! Keep up the good work!

Around the Network

Yea price is looking more and more important. 360 has a really nice lineup of games, but sales are mediocre because most people that are willing to pay 400$ already have.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I can see some drastic price cuts during the summer , the 360 will be cut by $100 in my opinion as for the ps3 i think Sony will just have to accept that $600 is obscene and cut it by $200 sure its huge losses now but frankly they have no choice or the long term damage is worse .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Deegan said:
ioi said:

Well I'm proud to say we were almost bang on this month, I think every single figure is within about 15% of NPD when you take Canada into account with the exception of Spiderman 360 and DS hardware which we have a little high.

NPDVGC 
DS506580115%
WII40233683%
PS2212247116%
PSP195208106%
X360187197106%
PS389107120%

Hmmmm, I don't know, the Wii is the only system underestimated.  Seems like the site is run by Sony and/or MS fanboys.  I kid of course, pretty good job there.  I'd like to point out my prediction, VGCharts + or - 20%, was spot on.  Admittedly predicting the range is somewhat easier than individual numbers but I'll take what I can.

Yeah well done , very accurate long may it continue .

Gamer till I die

Around the Network

Speechless. There's no excuse for those numbers.

jmcoo7 said:
I can see some drastic price cuts during the summer , the 360 will be cut by $100 in my opinion as for the ps3 i think Sony will just have to accept that $600 is obscene and cut it by $200 sure its huge losses now but frankly they have no choice or the long term damage is worse .

I doubt MS and Sony want to continue to take huge losses on their systems.

Glad to see VGchartz accuracy is getting better, less adjustment needed 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ioi said:
Deegan said:
ioi said:

NPDVGC 
DS506580115%
WII40233683%
PS2212247116%
PSP195208106%
X360187197106%
PS389107120%

Thanks. Remember that NPD figures themselves are only an estimate (from ~60% coverage) and that their figures shouldn't be taken as fact - although they are of course much closer than ours are likely to be.

If anyone takes the trouble to compare Famitsu and Media Create figures you will find a larger discrepancy between their figures (two large professional tracking agencies) than between our data and MC / Famitsu for Japan or our data and NPD for America.

I don't think that is bad going myself, especially when there are so many improvements to be made.

When DS and Wii sales calm down to more realistic levels and aren't dominated by sales spikes, shipments and so on then we will see our data get better and better again. We essentially applied the same extrapolation factor to DS and Wii from our raw data but as you can see one was too high and one too low and it is difficult without more coverage to account for anything like that.

I hate to break it to you, but the Wii numbers aren't going to calm down for a while. 

They have to because the losses in the future will be even greater , millions and millions of unsold consoles gathering dust in warehouses . Better selling them for half the price than nowt and Sony has to win the blu ray race if they dont it will ruin them for good .

Gamer till I die

Looks like some people owe ioi a bit of an apology... hopefully many will start to take his numbers more seriously now