By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So Until Dawn...new franchise or what?

So, as I'm pretty sure, quite a few people have been surprised by Until Dawns reception today, I mean it's not getting 10s or anything but the amount of 8+ scores really isn't something that I believe most people really expected.

The game has actually been growing on me for quite some time now so I'll definitely get it once I have more time. What about you guys?

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread, where do you think this will go from here? Do you think the good scores will bring more gamers to check this out? Will big youtube names play this (cause if you think back it becomes pretty apparent that the one similarity between all big new horror series of the last couple years has been youtube success). And most importantly, do you think we'll see more Until Dawn?

Personally I think the game will enjoy decent success for what it is at this point (1 million+ in sales) and will definitely get a sequel, what do you think?

Around the Network

I'd really need to see sales first, tbh. I don't think the budget was enormous for this game so around 1m would definitely warrant a sequel, I think.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

It will be dependent on sales. It has been a surprise critically, but I think it may struggle commercially still. It is difficult to guess what the budget for the game was. It changed direction mid-development and so has been worked on for a while, and has some recognisable voice talent. On the other hand, I don't think they are a very big studio. They obviously have some talent at the studio, and maybe even if this time out the game doesn't quite break even, Sony or some other studio would fund another game.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny sure thinks so. He loved the game

I thought this game was gonna get slayed by the critics, glad i was wrong and i'll probably pick it up now.

Around the Network

New franchise? Let this game enjoy some sales success first. Even then, this is the kind of game that deserves spiritual sequels more like a continuation of a franchise.

Wright said:

New franchise? Let this game enjoy some sales success first. Even then, this is the kind of game that deserves spiritual sequels more like a continuation of a franchise.

Exactly, I don´t see something like Until Dawn 2 but other game with the same concept, totally different story and marketed as " By the creators of Until Dawn" or something like that. 

I sure hope so. The potential is real.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

If this game sells more than 1M yes, but i doubt it since i think it will sell around 800k

Goodnightmoon said:

Exactly, I don´t see something like Until Dawn 2 but other game with the same concept and marketed as " By the creators of Until Dawn" or something like that. 

Your comment reminded me of this, for some reason: